BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
End of an era Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
End of an era Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
End of an era Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
End of an era Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
End of an era Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
End of an era Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
End of an era Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
End of an era Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
End of an era Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
End of an era Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
End of an era Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
End of an era Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
End of an era Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
End of an era Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
End of an era Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 72 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 71 Guests :: 2 Bots

brian beckett

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

End of an era

Go down 
+13
recce83
Teabag
Mike_2817
Themaadone
recymech
RAF GATOW
JAL
graham wright
ChrisP
Hardrations
Rocky
brum
jim
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime20/10/2010, 11:48

Quote :
British troopers arrived in Germany as liberators in 1945, and stayed as part of Nato after the division of the country. Now they are to leave by 2010

That really is the end of an era then. I'm sad about this, but logically, why are we there these days.

[b]Link Here
Back to top Go down

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime20/10/2010, 19:48

2010?? That dosn`t give them very long to get out. Laughing

Try 2020 Jim
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime20/10/2010, 20:04

Gordon. wrote:
2010?? That dosn`t give them very long to get out. Laughing

Try 2020 Jim

Oh yeah ?

Just shout "end of exercise", that'll shift 'em !
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime20/10/2010, 20:55

It is very sad. I arrived in Sennelager in early 79. I was 18. I had a great time and I 'grew up' in Germany. All in all I served there five times, which included my last tour. I applied for one or two civil service jobs over there after my time was up, purely on the basis that they would get me back to Germany. The money was rubbish, even with the perks, but as those jobs were 'already spoken for', that's all of an irrelevance now. I truly miss the place and if my circumstances were different, I'd have been back there living on the local economy. I never thought, until recently, that I'd see the final date being set, but there you go. It's a done deal. There are hundreds of thousands of us who all served there and who have great memories of the places we served, the people we met, the bars we drank in and even the exercises we partook in. It has been sad to see the gradual reduction in the number of Garrisons over the years, but with the final curtain being set to lower, it adds a certain emotional element to it. Certainty. What a dreadful vision.

If I had my life all over again, I would do it all over again. So would you! I'm glad that BAOR/BFG happened in my lifetime or should I say, I happened in its lifetime!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 03:42

Right on Rocky. My 4 years with 4 CIBG was one of my best tours in the Canadian Army. My 3 years in Lahr were okay but could not compare to my BAOR tour. I truly felt to be part of a real army.

Last edited by Hardrations on 21/10/2010, 13:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 10:33

I nearly married a German girl, If I had I'm sure I'd be living there now.
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 10:42

I totally agree with Rocky. But remember chaps, this is why this site is here. The forum is to talk about old times and memories - some happy, some sad and some you just couldn't make up! But don't forget the main site. This is where all of those memories should be written down so that they are not lost. Long after us old sods have disappeared there should be a record of what BAOR/BFG was and what it meant to an awful lot of people. So get those memories and photo's in. Keep the faith!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 12:46

Placing myself in the ranks of the even older sods, I also agree with the various sentiments expressed, although I'm inclined to think that some of the contributors have been customers of Specsavers and have invested in a pair of rose-tinted spectacles !

I've tried at least four times to "get those memories and photos in", Chris but sadly, my attempts have been ignored.

No Booker prize for me then !
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 19:17

I'm not going to pretend I know why you have had no luck, Brum. I personally have entered everything I have been sent by anybody. My inbox is completely empty so I know it is all on the site. If you fancy another go at some time, then send them to me and I guarantee to put them on the site. Then you'll be up for the Booker!!

Last edited by ChrisP on 21/10/2010, 19:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 114
Cap Badge : naafi and efi/raoc
Places Served : baor, sardinia, saudi, benbecula and colly
Registration date : 2009-02-08

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 19:21

73-83 and 89-91,great times,great mates wouldnt swap it for the world...graham..
Back to top Go down
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 68
Cap Badge : RASC & RAOC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Minden, Mannheim/Seckenheim
Registration date : 2007-07-13

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 19:50

Not unexpected, had to happen eventually but, sad nonetheless. I first went to BAOR as a "brat" in 46/47 and apart from 3 years in Austria and a year in the UK spent all my childhood there until I joined up in 1960. I probably have more memories of Germany than anywhere else I've lived.
Back to top Go down
RAF GATOW
Cpl
Cpl
RAF GATOW

Number of posts : 18
Places Served : BFPO 808, BFPO 42, BFPO 45, BFPO 542, BFPO 544
Registration date : 2010-09-23

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 21:11

It is sad that it is going to happen but the RAF Bases we had are all gone and have been for a while and when they went, i knew it would not be long before the pongo's would move out sooner or later.
As you all say, great times etc and i for one will always remember the countryside around RAF Wildenrath etc and Berlin was the dogs bits of a posting. So much history in and around Berlin and i for one will always remember goerings old house, carinhall, just north of Berlin and the seelow heights too the east. In 1992, some RAF copper mates and myself went there and we were all gob smacked by all the rusty helmets and rusty wepons lying around the battlefield ! The east germans never bothered to clear them !

I feel sorry for the army leaving Germany and moving back here, because RAF Kinloss is shutting down and i feel sorry for the army if they have to move in there !
Its a dump !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime22/10/2010, 13:23

JAL wrote:
Not unexpected, had to happen eventually but, sad nonetheless. I first went to BAOR as a "brat" in 46/47 and apart from 3 years in Austria and a year in the UK spent all my childhood there until I joined up in 1960. I probably have more memories of Germany than anywhere else I've lived.

Yes, same here mate. I grew up in Germany and probably feel more at home there than I do here in England in a way.
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime22/10/2010, 18:47

Rocky wrote:
It is very sad. I arrived in Sennelager in early 79. I was 18. I had a great time and I 'grew up' in Germany. All in all I served there five times, which included my last tour. I applied for one or two civil service jobs over there after my time was up, purely on the basis that they would get me back to Germany. The money was rubbish, even with the perks, but as those jobs were 'already spoken for', that's all of an irrelevance now. I truly miss the place and if my circumstances were different, I'd have been back there living on the local economy. I never thought, until recently, that I'd see the final date being set, but there you go. It's a done deal. There are hundreds of thousands of us who all served there and who have great memories of the places we served, the people we met, the bars we drank in and even the exercises we partook in. It has been sad to see the gradual reduction in the number of Garrisons over the years, but with the final curtain being set to lower, it adds a certain emotional element to it. Certainty. What a dreadful vision.

If I had my life all over again, I would do it all over again. So would you! I'm glad that BAOR/BFG happened in my lifetime or should I say, I happened in its lifetime!

A good post Rocky and I agree totally, it'll be a sad sad time when we finally pull out for good. I've spent the last 15 years of my Army career over here and am hanging on for as long as possible, my kids were born here and have never lived in the UK plus the wife doesn't want to leave either.

We only wish we could settle over here and work on the German net but can't see it happening unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime23/10/2010, 12:28

I grew up in Germany, man and child and live in the UK but do miss Germany - hey, we should get a get together, fly to Germany for a weekend and re-live our German times!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime23/10/2010, 12:39

I was born in Germany, Served in BAOR 1972-75 and 1977-79 and visited almost evey year on exersise till 1986 then a few times till retiring in 1993. Not been back since. But yes I do miss the comradery of a good unit which I was alway lucky to have been a part of, who worked hard and played even harder when off duty. It would not be the same for me to visit now.

Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime24/10/2010, 16:58

Themaadone wrote:
I grew up in Germany, man and child and live in the UK but do miss Germany - hey, we should get a get together, fly to Germany for a weekend and re-live our German times!!! Smile

Re-live our German times. For sure I'll be coming home in a pine box. I should have many times in the past. Laughing

PS: Mr Moderator can you do something about my count. I'm staying at 384?
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime25/10/2010, 21:00

You are showing 387 to me!!!
Back to top Go down

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime25/10/2010, 22:47

It`s an age thing
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime25/10/2010, 22:49

Suppose the Germans could start another war and then we get to occupy them again once we win?

You get to keep it after three times don't you or is that the world cup? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime25/10/2010, 23:10

I reluctantly returned to Canada after several years between 1957 and 65. Took my discharge as the future of the Canadian Army didn't look all that great, plus my new wife didn't find army life to her liking. Anyway I sure missed my time there and swore I would go back for a holiday.

That was 45 years ago and I still haven't made it. While I look back on those BAOR years fondly*, a voice inside reminds me that you can't go home again. I suspect that after nearly a half century (MY GOD, TEMPUS FUGIT!!!) I would find that all too true. Then I get on this forum and I think that I should make the trip after all.

In addition to my old haunts in the Soest-Werl-Hemer area, I would especially like to visit the former GDR territories. I used to look over the fence and wonder what the beer tasted like over there. Also Hereford where I downed the odd gill of Hereforder with my many friends in 7 Sigs at Schmidt's and "Companion's".

* The 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade Group was an integral part of the 4th Div although we didn't wear the quadrant div patch. In fact the GOC in the mid 60's was a Canadian Major General, Jean Allard.

Happy Days!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 07:55

You've got it straight recce. I've been back, still have good friends there, but it's not the same. Your camp area's are just bush now in Werl. Still though a walk across the Mohnee See is worth it, a meal down town Soest is worth it, a rainy day looking across German fields, smelling the German earth, to hear the coo coo bird in the woods, to smell a German deli store, a Sat. morning market, maybe just to walk down streets that have hidden memories only you can understand. It's nice to know that we can banish the bad and unpleasant from the past and remember the good of that country.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 10:45

Recce83

You are quite right for many years 4 CIMBG was an integral part of 4 Division with a small Canadian staff planning team integrated within the Divisional HQ in Herford
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 11:14

i go back on a regular basis so for me the changes have been more gradual rarther than a big shock at how things have changed,but changed they have all the camps i served in have long gone and of course the bars i spent my time in are changed beyond all recognition but i knew this would be the case, the fond memories i have of the 60s and 70s bare no resembalnce of what greets me even if its only 6 months since my last visit i expect things will have changed but thats life. yet i look forward and am all ready planning my next visit in june the only one thing i hate is the euro it might make life easier for me as i travel through france,belgium and holland but it just seems strange no d/marks. but there is no greater feeling for me than getting on the autobahn and passing all the familiar signs some still bring a smile to my face. Smile
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 18:11

recce83 and Hardrations
4 Cdn Bde was part of 2 Division in earlier days picked this up from a visit to the RE museum
Photobucket
REgards
Steve
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Sponsored content

End of an era Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of an era   End of an era Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

End of an era
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum