BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
They shall not grow old Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 59 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 59 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

They shall not grow old

Go down 
+10
Themaadone
mjm34
brum
Phlegmwahn
Teabag
burgess720
Stephen Lock
Dolmetscher
jerry
jim
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

They shall not grow old Empty
PostSubject: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 09:51

Quote :
For The Fallen
With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 12:15

What can you say to that Jim other than "RIP" to all our old Brothers in Arms
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 16:25

Very poignant, Jim. Have yet to buy my poppy, but will, first thing tomorrow. Just haven't seen any sellers this year.
Think I might volunteer next year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 19:05

One of our local papers ran a two-page spread on the LACK of folks wearing poppies. For instance, the reporter sat down on the mall, a trendy pedestrian avenue in the city core, and out of 100 people he counted 12 who had poppies on! Dreadful.

And, of course, like every year we had our poppy box on the front counter of the store swiped the other day. There probably wasn't much in it re cash, but that's hardly the point! This happens every year and I think it's absolutely disgusting.

No respect, no understanding, and nobody gives a goddamn.

And don't even get me started on the White Poppy thing......!!!!!!! Morons.....
Back to top Go down
burgess720
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 23:02

Hi all,

Having spent nearly half my life in Australia, ANZAC Day was always the biggest day; but in recent years 11 November has seen increasing numbers attending; as has ANZAC day; dont forget today to have served in WWII you would have to be over 82

A few companies, clubs etc observe the one minute with a message over the speaker system

I am old enough to remember in London the buses stopping for a minute silence.

In Australia the RSL [Returned Services League] is much more active than I remember the British Legion was.

It is good that the younger generations are not letting the memories be forgotten

Regards
Tony
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 23:15

To be fair, I donate quite often but mostly lose poppies and I think that goes for a lot of people. The same with lots of charities that give out stickers etc. I don't always want one but will donate.

I think more people in Britain now observe the proper silence i.e. 11 hour on the 11th day of the 11th month than they used to. Our young men are now in the media spotlight more than they have ever been and it brings home to people when we lose one of them. I don't really think we need to show a poppy to see that we care. It annoys me that every one and his/her dog on tv wears a poppy that has obviously been provided by the wardrobe department whether they give a toss as to the meaning or not.

Not sure exactly what I am trying to say here but I do think more people care than we think. Help for heroes is a good example of that caring in my humble.

Anyway, I never heard a shot fired in anger so don't know how I would have coped or reacted. Those that did or have, earn my deepest respect. Those that steal these funds will probably die a very nasty death through a drugs over dose with no one to mourn them. Karma!

Lest we forget.
Back to top Go down
Phlegmwahn
Sgt
Sgt
Phlegmwahn

Number of posts : 39
Cap Badge : Royal Engineers
Places Served : Paderborn, London, Rheindahlen, Dhekelia, Laarbruch, Brunssum, Hannover, Minden, Bulford, London
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 07:33

Stephen Lock wrote:
One of our local papers ran a two-page spread on the LACK of folks wearing poppies. For instance, the reporter sat down on the mall, a trendy pedestrian avenue in the city core, and out of 100 people he counted 12 who had poppies on! Dreadful.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the papers say. There are too many people more interested in political/dogmatic point scoring at this time of year. It's an act of Rememberance, nothing more nothing less. The way people choose to remember is a choice that was hard one by those who gave all their tomorrows for our today; people with be thankful in their own way.
I rarely wear a poppy and I rarely pass a seller or a box without making a contribution. As in previous years I've got a drawer full of poppies simply because they won't stay attached to my jacket. Many sellers can't/won't let you have a pin because of some obscure 'elf 'n safety rule. On the eleventh of November I make sure my poppy is firmly attached with a small safety pin.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 10:39

It seems to be an age thing where I work, most of the older people, over 40 say were all wearing poppies, but the younger ones not. And yes phlegm, I lost mine because of the no pin rule.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 11:08

Not sure about this "no pin" rule, Jim.

This year we, here, have been giving out pins to people, to the extent that a pin has been stuck through the leaf beforehand.

It only takes one prat to run to a "no claim-no fee" lawyer and it will all stop no doubt but I don't think Legion HQ have published any ruling on it yet.

I agree, the over 40s seem to be the ones buying the poppies, the Dickhead Generation probably have more important things to spend their money on. I have been impressed by the number of Young Mums bringing their kids to get a poppy, there's hope for the future.

A final point. On both of my two-hour stints this year I saw notes to the value of £25 going into the tin. Quite amazing.

brum
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 11:14

The no pin rule has been in for a few years now,hence the green plastic stalk.Health and safty gone mad .You were not allowed to place a stick on poppy on someone in case they claimed for damage to clothing.

I think both these rules are still in force
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 11:56

Ah well, somehow I had a feeling that would be the case. 'twould seem the glad tidings just haven't reached our little branch yet.

I await the knock on the door from the H&S Polizei !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 12:31

Even Col`s can be put against a wall and shot Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 13:16

Last Wednesday I was on Euston Station and saw a young lass in Cadet uniform selling poppies, and incidently appearing to be doing a roaring trade. The way she got around the issue with the pin was that if you wanted one you had to take it out of the tray yourself. One slightly disappointing thing though was that I was within earshot when a foreigner asked her what the poppy was all about to which she only had a very vague reply. I would have thought that instructors in the Cadet Forces would have explained the whole idea behind the poppy and Rememberance as a whole.

I also agree with much of what has been said above about the wearing of a poppy. I tend to make several donations, each time I see a collecting tin, but rarely take or wear a poppy. I do however always try to get a sticker for the car, but in recent years they seen to be as rare as rocking horse s***.

Mike
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:01

Gordon. wrote:
Even Col`s can be put against a wall and shot Twisted Evil

Watch and shoot, kamerad, watch and shoot !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:14

LOL,

I'll be on Parade in Sutton on Sunday morning, hope it doesn't rain. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:15

Dammit, Brum outranks me at last! Saluting you now sir.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:17

Good deal on knee pads on E,Bay teabag Smile
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:20

Poo, you are all juniors. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:50

My 14 year old goes to Cadets now, his mum was initially against it - she saw what the army did to or for me. Can't say I blame her however, he understands the value, origin and belief behind the poppy - I would have kicked him into the garden to talk to the weeds had he gotten that wrong and has been out roughly 7 times knocking on doors making money for the legion - his poppy is safely hidden awaiting sunday where he will be proud as punch - and rightly so, he can prop me up!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 18:48

jim wrote:
Poo, you are all juniors. Very Happy

Didn't he have a mate ? . . . Eeyore, wasn't it ?
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 15:05

I'm surprised no-one in this thread has voiced an opinion on the poppy burning morons
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 15:09

brum wrote:

Not sure about this "no pin" rule, Jim.

This year we, here, have been giving out pins to people, to the extent that a pin has been stuck through the leaf beforehand.

It only takes one prat to run to a "no claim-no fee" lawyer and it will all stop no doubt but I don't think Legion HQ have published any ruling on it yet.

>

brum

I am a Honourary Poppy Appeal Organiser (and seller), and I can tell you there is no such thing as a 'no pin' ruling.

Boxes of Standard Poppies come supplied 2,000 to an outer with 1,800 pins, No2 Large Poppies come with no pins, but you can order extra pins as needed, and we see almost all supplied used.

Sellers Guidelines (pink A5 sheet) say to offer the pin from the card but not to pin the poppy yourself unless specifically asked to do so (i.e. an old or infirm person) [we now offer a 'sticky poppy' in these cases]

For many years we have had sheets of poppy stickers for younger children in schools, and last year started to receive Poppies with sticky backs [Sticky Poppies] to offer to the public. We have a few shops such as Butchers & Bakers that request 'no pins' and we now supply 'Sticky Poppies' to these locations.

PoppyScotland have offered 'Sticky Poppies' for many years longer than England.

Starting tomorrow we start to collect the 650 odd collection boxes we have in Pubs, Clubs, Schools & Shops etc, and will have our total by the 26th [we have banked £20K plus as of last night]

LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 15:11

mjm34 wrote:
I'm surprised no-one in this thread has voiced an opinion on the poppy burning morons

This is at the moment a minor sideline in this country, and I feel should not be given air-time to publicise their actions!

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 15:15

First i`ve heard about it.
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 15:50

Am I alone in this? I watched the moving events of this morning at the Cenotaph in London. As usual I felt sad at seeing less and less old comrades. However, I found one thing irritating. The amount of young and old people on parade, a lot in uniform, that were chewing gum. There were so many that I found it detracted from what I was watching. I totally respect the fact that so many were prepared to parade and share in the Act of Remembrance but found this aspect to be annoying. I suspect it is just me and I am aware that in the great scheme of things it is a minor point but that is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

They shall not grow old
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: