BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 1 Bot

Pborn4

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

They shall not grow old

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3027
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

They shall not grow old - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 15:56

A friend of mine has just related an experience that he had at his local Cenotaph, during the 2 minutes silence a female pulled out her Mobile phone and chatted on it for the 2 mins!! Sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 16:23

Said mobile should vanish into a deep dark place...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 16:41

I also noticed the gum chewing,These guys are hanging about for a long time so it`s a bit better than swigging from cans of lager..Mind you there are normally a lot of hip flasks on view.Off camera of course
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 16:43

Quote :
Said mobile should vanish into a deep dark place...

Aided by your size 10s perhaps?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/11/2010, 21:11

We had quite a good crowd at our Remembrance Day parade this morning, despite the cold.

What surprised me this year though, was that the veterans were applauded by the crowd. I don't ever remember that happening before.

I'm sure many of you on this site were on parade this morning, did the same happen to you ?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 10:45

Morning all,

We had a huge turn out to watch the parade in Sutton this year Brum, I was surprised at how many, and yes the applause as we marched past was amazing, made me feel quite emotional.

it was good to see many younger people turn out to parade as well. I was talking to a couple of them and they have just finished their 22 and the places they have served is amazing, well done them I say. One guy aked me if I had been a RSM as my turnout was so good. Shame and me a techie as well. Wink

I spoke to the RBL boss man about having a NAAFI wagon next year, we stood around for ages and ages without a drink. I'd have taken a hip flask but didn't remember. Still the walk home via the Legion, the Gate, the Station, O'Neils, the Litten tree, the Cup, The Duke and finally my Local, the Horse and Jockey was fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 12:01

Surprised you REMEMBERED where to find us after that little lot Jim drunken
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 13:55

I was in bed by 20:00 hrs Gordon, or so *SHE* tells me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 21:24

I had parade here in Fiji this year. its the first year for a while that the Fiji government has invited the NZ government to officialy attend. as for poppies i dont habitualy wear one leading up to the day. i wear one in by beret on the day (not sure if wearing medals and beret is a bit naff, but i do it anyway). i keep a poppy in my pocket, and when the wreath laying is all over i try to find a quite moment to leave my poppy in an appropriate place. in jakarta i would wander round the war graves cemetary till i foind a REME headstone and leave my poppy there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 09:41

Quote :
not sure if wearing medals and beret is a bit naff,

Not at all mate, wear and be proud. I wear my Beret, and I'll wear my medals when I get around to finding them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 09:42

In fact, look at my Avatar, that's taken when I was laying a wreath for RAOC online at the PVA Parade at Eden Camp last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 12:50

jim wrote:
Quote :
not sure if wearing medals and beret is a bit naff,

Not at all mate, wear and be proud. I wear my Beret, and I'll wear my medals when I get around to finding them.
I have to stand there bare-chested. Haven't got any medals. Don't even know if I was entitled to any. Don't suppose they awarded one for falling over in the NAAFI ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 18:47

Have you applied for your 'Veterans Badge' at least?

Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 19:24

No, Mike. Have never applied for anything. Where would I go for that?
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 20:28

Shelldrake wrote:
A friend of mine has just related an experience that he had at his local Cenotaph, during the 2 minutes silence a female pulled out her Mobile phone and chatted on it for the 2 mins!! Sad Crying or Very sad

did anyone near her tap her on the shoulder and "suggest" perhaps she save her obviously urgent phone call for a more appropriate time? Of course, if any one had, they no doubt would have been told to mind their own *&^$#! business!

How can anyone be so clueless??? But of course we see (and hear!!!) this everywhere. On the bus, overhearing some moron go on and on about some inane thing or some highly personal stuff. I remember overhearing a young woman complain, loudly, to her friend on the other end about how her boyfriend had probably infected her with some STD and now she had to go down to the blankety-blank clinic and be tested and how much of a drag that was and blah blah blah.....Eeeeew! Like I wanna know she got boffed to begin with and do I really want to know her sadsack boyfriend gave her the clap? Classy little broad.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 21:56

Dolmetscher wrote:
No, Mike. Have never applied for anything. Where would I go for that?

http://www.veterans-uk.info/vets_badge/vets_badge.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 05:46

Cheers, Teabag. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3027
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 11:45

Stephen, I think that you have answered your own question there! That's the problem nowadays, good manners don't seem to be taught at home (or anywhere else) any more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 14:50

I agree Teabag. It's a sad world today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They shall not grow old   They shall not grow old - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

They shall not grow old
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: