BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 45 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 45 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD

Go down 
+3
jim
dandc
JPW
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Empty
PostSubject: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime22/11/2010, 15:50

Am involved with a small group of amateur miltary railway enthusiasts who are researching and various aspects of the Railway Operating Division Royal Engineers and its successors (some of the results have appeared on this site from time to time).

One of the members has recently obtained a brief history of the Detmold Military Railway, researched by a German railway enthusiast, which operated in various forms between Herford and Altenbeken from 1945 to 1950 to provide a BAOR based Centre of Excellence for the training of Sapper railwaymen

This document shows that they were based in Longmoor Barracks Detmold, formerly Werre Kaserne. This name is totally unfamiliar to me and the others. Can any of our Detmold experts provide an exact location?

There was an excellent German website with a very detailed information including maps and photos which was linked to this site. Sasdly it has been sabotaged by a virus and the host webmaster is struggling to reconstruct his original information
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime22/11/2010, 21:27

i dont profess to be an expert but i hope this helps,as far as i can tell longmoor bks were located just off paulinenstrase,[between industriestrase and arminstrase], just behind the railway station in the town centre.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime23/11/2010, 09:23

I don't recall that Bks at all. I thought trains were operated by the RAOC not the sappers?
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime23/11/2010, 10:02

dandc

Thank you very much for your very helpful posting, your info substantiates a German site outlining the history of a Bundeswehr Krankenhaus (BMH) Detmold which I found after posting my original query.

Looking at Google Earth for the area The remains of Werre Kaserne/Longmoor Barracks can be found exactly where you said. The Barracks is close to the station/goods sidings convenient for the 130 plus Sapper Permanent Staff who ran the military railway and the 70 or so trainees (in National Service days there would have been a constant turnover of junior ranks) Training was carried out on behalf of he military staff required to maintain the numerous military sidings (some quite exensive scattered throughout the then BAOR.

Jim
It was the Railway Operating Division Royal Engineers who had the principle responsibility for the organisation of British military railways worldwide. This was transferred to the newly formed Royal Corps of Transport in the late 60s
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime23/11/2010, 13:21

Got you JPW. Thanks
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime25/11/2010, 18:17

Longmoor Barracks Detmold will have to be added to the Master List of barracks to be found off the Locations Section of the Home Page in due course

My original source told me that the site was first occupied by some bureaucrats of the Control Commission Germany who were then ejected in favour of the Sappers. They in turn must have left for Ayrshire Barracks Moenchen Gladbach when that became the centre of the Sapper Railway Operating activities in BAOR

The barracks were not handed back to the German authorities till 1977. Does anyone know the British units which occupied the barracks in the later years?
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime25/11/2010, 21:23

I can remember putting 432's on flat bed trucks at Detmold railway. That would be about 76 but it was just a case of driving them down there and gingerly putting them on the trucks. Can't remember anyone supervising it or other troops being there. I do remember there was a specific ramp for this kind of loading. Probably from the second war but only guessing.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime25/11/2010, 21:41

I can remember loading 432's at Detmold about he mid '70's and we also had a rail head in Munster i think, though i never used it.
Back to top Go down
burgess720
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime27/11/2010, 00:32

Hi JPW,

I am interested in military railways also.
Was in RE Field Regiment in BAOR, but then transferred to No. 3 MOV Control Group for three and a half years reservist.

If you are developing a website, I am interested.
Never got to the Detmold MR; but did see one of thier diesel locos at Lier, Belgium in 1952 when the NATO depot was being built

Cheeers
Tony
Australia
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime27/11/2010, 11:07

I was stationed at TDU Viersen but all our admin and sister squadrons were in Moenchengladbach. The RCT/RLC train was stationed there and I often thought how great it looked and then saw pimply 19 year olds toying with them - great fear I had then!
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 19:24

As is often the case on this site, any subject rapidly expands to reflect related experiences or memories.

Going back to my original query and thanks to Steve fanastastic researches the one capbadge which does not have been mentioned in the Detmold area with a specific location is the RASC/RCT Transport Company/Squadron which were part of 20 Armoured Brigade

I wonder if therefore they were based in Longmoor Barracks? Alternatively where was the SSO and his Staff based?

The good news is the webmaster of the site which hosted the Detmold Military Railway history appears to have cleared the virus and is now up and running . strongly recommended for anyone interested. The only bit missing from the original at present is a sketch map of the line with "cartoons" of typical scenes

Regarding the use of railflats. The majority of units quickly gained the requisite exoertise to correctly lash vehicles onto the relevent rail flats and were trusted to organise this operation themselves though undoubtedly a RASC/RCT/RLC Movement Control NCO (complete with red armband and yellow wagon wheel together with a DB Bahnmeister would have carried out a final safety check before the train departed. The various correspondents are correct the majority of DB goods sidings especially those close to barracks did have suitable concrete ramps or platforms to enable military vehicles to be easily (off) loaded. In the rare situation that this facility waas not available 14 Squadron did own a few warflats with detachable bogies which could provide the neccesary ramp to enable loadong to be carried out

More to follow in due course but must return to the current search for information on BAOR in the period 1945/47 which will be published in due course
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD   LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LONGMOOR BARRACKS DETMOLD
Page 1 of 1