BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Heating Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Heating Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Heating Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Heating Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Heating Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Heating Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Heating Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Heating Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Heating Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Heating Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Heating Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Heating Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Heating Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Heating Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Heating Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 46 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 45 Guests :: 2 Bots

brian beckett

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Heating

Go down 
+9
Themaadone
steve jones
Dolmetscher
Shelldrake
davwood
Teabag
jim
alan8376
brum
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 13:19

Woke up this morning to find that the central heating boiler had packed up.

British Gas can't get anyone to me till tomorrow

Deep Joy Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 14:08

To Brum,
Has your gas boiler got a condensate trap pipe fitted? This is the plastic pipe that allows the acid to flow away to the drain from the boiler. It is normally sited through the outside wall.

Do a quick check.... This pipe will freeze up causing the acid+water to block and back up to the boiler. A quick blow job Very Happy preferably with a hair dryer on it will soon sort things out!

I have just checked my central heating oil tank reading. To play safe, realising the weather may get worse and with one months oil left in the tank, I ordered a 'full top up.'

Just been quoted 70p a litre. Normally it is around 43p at this time of the year! The conning ba****ds!!!! That's a lot of money xtra for 1000litres
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 14:44

Ours comes on the first of October, never mind what the weather is like and goes off 1st April, ditto. Mrs F can't understand why. Smile
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 15:24

brum wrote:

Woke up this morning to find that the central heating boiler had packed up.

British Gas can't get anyone to me till tomorrow

Deep Joy Rolling Eyes

Check you batteries. (assuming you have any in your controls).
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 20:39

alan8376 wrote:
To Brum,
Has your gas boiler got a condensate trap pipe fitted? This is the plastic pipe that allows the acid to flow away to the drain from the boiler. It is normally sited through the outside wall.

Do a quick check.... This pipe will freeze up causing the acid+water to block and back up to the boiler. A quick blow job Very Happy preferably with a hair dryer on it will soon sort things out!

I have just checked my central heating oil tank reading. To play safe, realising the weather may get worse and with one months oil left in the tank, I ordered a 'full top up.'

Just been quoted 70p a litre. Normally it is around 43p at this time of the year! The conning ba****ds!!!! That's a lot of money xtra for 1000litres

That's exactly the problem mate. Compounded by the fact that the pipe runs above a lean-to type conservatory.

Breaking every H&S rule in the book I knocked the pipe off (completely full of ice) and had water running from the boiler but the cow still wouldn't fire up.

Anyway, got in from the Xmas feeding frenzy this afternoon and tried again. Lo and Behold, the bugger started up ! !

We are now basking in centrally-heated warmth again.

I grew up in the 1940s, how did we survive without central heating ?
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 21:59

Not to mention outside bogs. Well we were poor! All say ahh.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 23:05

Good for you Brum. Glad I could help.

Once a REME always a REME. I can't let go of fixing things..... I am not into solving heating problems normally, but picked that tip up along the way last year.

Guys, take note!
80% of boiler break downs in freezing conditions are caused by the Condensate Pipe freezing up and plugging itself.

A tip! If you can up the diameter of the Condensate pipe that is outside the house then do it, AND OR fit the thickest lagging around that pipe you can buy, and I am NOT talking about the skimpy lagging that you buy from your local DIY store. Go round to a proper plumbing shop.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 08:57

I wouldn't even know where to look, but good that Brum has heating again.
Back to top Go down
davwood
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 27
Cap Badge : RCT/RMP
Places Served : Taunton. Hameln, Herford, Werl, NI, Berlin, Helmstedt, London, Rhodesia.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 11:18

Just checked my condesation pipe after reading this, frozen solid and the pipe has split. Have thawed it out before my boiler packs up.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 11:45

Would all pers who found my 'Condensation Pipe' tip useful, please donate to my bank account in Switzerland!

PM me for details.

Signed Julian A
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 11:48

Is that a sort of "Boilerleaks" thing? pirat pirat
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 11:51

"He,he" Good one!
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 13:06

Brum, you're right. How did we survive in the old days without central heating? I'll tell you. We never even noticed most of the time. I think that, to an extent, we were hardened to the cold. My old man used to have us kids out on the bombed sites looking for bits of coal. The weather would be freezing, and it might take a couple of hours to fill a small bucket, but we did it, mostly without complaint. Today's kids wouldn't survive.
We sat all day in school with an open fire at the end of the class-room. The teacher would usually be stood in front of it, so we kids had to wear coats.
Happy days.
That said, in the early sixties, the camp at Worthy Down, Winchester, had coal-burning stoves in the barrack blocks. Very primative. Not to mention the cockroaches in the cook-house.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 13:14

7 Armd Workshops Fallingbostel accomodation still had coke fires in each room even in 1972.

Hildesheim, Tofrek Barracks in 1966 had a barracks central boiler which feed all the central heating in all the blocks. Coupled with the secondary glazing this made life nice and warm.
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 15:34

alan8376 wrote:

Hildesheim, Tofrek Barracks in 1966 had a barracks central boiler which feed all the central heating in all the blocks. Coupled with the secondary glazing this made life nice and warm.
I believe there was a similar arrangement on the MQ estate at Mönchen-gladbach. The heating was apparently supplied by a rubbish-burning incinerator. That would be 1960.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 15:46

Dolmetscher wrote:
alan8376 wrote:

I believe there was a similar arrangement on the MQ estate at Mönchen-gladbach. The heating was apparently supplied by a rubbish-burning incinerator. That would be 1960.

I haven't got a clue where the communal boiler was for our MQ's in Wildenrath but the radiators could get extremely hot and the hot water was positively dangerous.

In the block next to mine, two young children were scalded to death when the eldest one turned the hot tap on when they were in the bath. The mother had only gone outside to get her washing in. I had to drive to the camp to get an ambulance. Very tragic.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 20:03

In Moscow, all those massive apartment blocks are provided with free heating and hot water. The heating is by radiators which you can not turn on or off individually. The city decides when its cold or not and turns on the heating. The heat is a by product of their coal/oil fired power stations and is piped all round the city. Amazing. The hot water comes from the same source. There is no such thing at temperature control. Its either hot or its not. You could turn your hot water tap on, go on holiday for a month, and when you get back it will still be running red hot. In Summer each sector of the city in turn has its hot water shut down for a few weeks while the pipes are repaired, most Muscovites simply take cold showers, we had a small electric water heater for such occasions. It was so hot in the apartment that at -25 outside we had to have windows open.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime22/12/2010, 09:11

We had the same in the "Battleship" in Oerlinghausen, lovely, loads and loads of hot water and you didn't have to worry about the bill.

Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime22/12/2010, 12:16

Jim, I think that the majority of MSQ Flats in Germany worked like that. When we lived in Flats in Dortmund and Gutersloh we paid Pfennigs Fuel and Light per month and then in the Spring we got a rebate, don't know how it worked but never complained (or asked)!
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime22/12/2010, 14:27

Listening to some of you I feel mollycuddled. I grew up with double glazing, central heating and hot water on tap.

Some excercises and battle camps were spent roughing it but I never complained - just accepted it. My parents, on the other hand, grew up in the 30s and 40s so in a way must have lavished the luxury of central heating and safe living.

On that note, I recall my parents being burgled in the early nineties in Bielefeld where they had civvy hirings - my mother was awfully distraught and threw lots of personal clothing away. Cash was taken as well as jewelerry - the cash wasnt worth much as it can be replaced but the jewelerry was family hand downs - seeing my mum like that and just having returned from a tour in West Belfast I was ready to skin the little ******** that did that.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime23/12/2010, 09:41

Wimp! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime23/12/2010, 11:41

Yep, MQ's Blocks in BAOR you paid 'Heating & Lighting' Houses you had your own bill (I think)

My first MQ was at Longmoor in a 30's house with open fires in every room. I hired Calar Gas heaters to suppliment it upstairs but had an open fire which heated the water in front room.

Second MQ at Borden had Gas Fired CH but also a 'Rayburn' Coke fire which was a doodle to keep burning.

Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime23/12/2010, 13:16

jim wrote:
Wimp! Smile

LOL lol! elephant
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime23/12/2010, 14:19

Mike_2817 wrote:

Second MQ at Borden had Gas Fired CH but also a 'Rayburn' Coke fire which was a doodle to keep burning.
Reminds me of a hiring I had in Ireland (Lambeg). Lovely bungalow with a Rayburn in the kitchen. You could burn practically anything on it.
I used to keep a dog ferret, there, and hunt rabbits on the sandhills at the back of the house. Fishing in the river Lagan was only a couple of hundred yards away.
Bliss.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime23/12/2010, 19:04

Mike_2817 wrote:
Yep, MQ's Blocks in BAOR you paid 'Heating & Lighting' Houses you had your own bill (I think)

My first MQ was at Longmoor in a 30's house with open fires in every room. I hired Calar Gas heaters to suppliment it upstairs but had an open fire which heated the water in front room.

Don't suppose you can get coke anywhere now as they don't make coal gas? Maybe in a third world country? Used to sting the eyes when the cocky watchman had his brazier going and us kids would sit and keep him company. Would have been a great job for a paedophile thinking about it but none ever bothered kids that I heard of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heating   Heating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heating
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: