BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 22 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 22 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    
CalendarCalendar
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search

Share
 

 In the Navy

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Age : 85
Localisation : Bedfordshire
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/1/2011, 22:42

Used to work for a shop in Shudehill, Manchester, where they sold de-commissioned 19 sets for a fiver. Very cutting-edge they looked at the time, too. Radio hams used to buy them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/1/2011, 22:47

Hey Brum, that would be it. I have a photo of me working one some where in 63 in Wainwright. Now If I can just figure out how to down load it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/1/2011, 23:21

52 set

In the Navy - Page 3 Mus52set
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/1/2011, 23:34

Oh lordie.... That be it. Complete with rolled up canvas dust cover. It used to impress the gunner types no end that we knew how to operate one of those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 78
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/1/2011, 23:36



Cheers, Gordie !

That's the beast (looking remarkably clean, I might add, where the hell do you blokes find this stuff ?). I can feel the wind in my face just looking at it ! When you went to "send" the truck used to roll forward.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Hardrations photo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/1/2011, 23:53

In the Navy - Page 3 File0012

Not the best photo, but you can see the 52 set and make out a 42 set to the left. At the time I'm talking on the 42 set.

Click on the thumbnail it'll pop up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Age : 69
Localisation : Merseyside
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/1/2011, 23:57

I was/is a radio ham but they prefer to be called amateur radio enthusiasts. Mainly played with Morse because any soft git can talk into a microphone! Got a bit boring having Russians contacting you all the time just to get a card from you, so gave it up.

To be honest, still miss the thrill of getting a rare or extremely distant contact through the QRM/QRN using my vertical made from copper pipe and other bits of scrap.

Strange thing was that I hated Morse in the army yet loved it as an amateur. I suppose it was because of procedures and always being on your toes in case you cocked up? Ahem, plus I was rubbish at it!

Thread deviation alert!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 00:06

Shelldrake wrote:
When I served on Honest John we had one Parka between six of us!" Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad



OIn the Navy - Page 3 Dcp_2013h, and a Blue Flame heater in the Cab for the Driver and the No 1. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The last Honest John launcher left in the Cdn. Army. RCA Museum, CFB Shilo Manitoba. If I remember correctly it was AB launcher 2 SSM (Trg) Bty RCA. As you can see it's in a bit of sad shape but was to be brought back up to par. I watched rockets fired from it and AA launcher in the early 60's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 78
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 00:12

Hardrations wrote:
In the Navy - Page 3 File0012

Not the best photo, but you can see the 52 set and make out a 42 set to the left. At the time I'm talking on the 42 set.

Click on the thumbnail it'll pop up.

"So", I thought,"we're going to see what Hardrations looks like at last".
What do we get ? A can of Carnation milk !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 00:13

Quote :
where the hell do you blokes find this stuff ?).

That set is in the R. Sigs museum at Blandford.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 78
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 00:14

Hardrations wrote:
Shelldrake wrote:
When I served on Honest John we had one Parka between six of us!" Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad



OIn the Navy - Page 3 Dcp_2013h, and a Blue Flame heater in the Cab for the Driver and the No 1. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The last Honest John launcher left in the Cdn. Army. RCA Museum, CFB Shilo Manitoba. If I remember correctly it was AB launcher 2 SSM (Trg) Bty RCA. As you can see it's in a bit of sad shape but was to be brought back up to par. I watched rockets fired from it and AA launcher in the early 60's.

It would'nt get very far with THAT flat tyre mate !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 00:28

brum wrote:
Hardrations wrote:
In the Navy - Page 3 File0012

Not the best photo, but you can see the 52 set and make out a 42 set to the left. At the time I'm talking on the 42 set.

Click on the thumbnail it'll pop up.

"So", I thought,"we're going to see what Hardrations looks like at last".
What do we get ? A can of Carnation milk !

In the Navy - Page 3 P1020710e

This satisfy your curiosty? Last May in Dornie for a wedding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 00:36

[quote="brumIt would'nt get very far with THAT flat tyre mate ![/quote]

Did you notice the railway tye supporting the launcher rail?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3027
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 08:05

brum wrote:
Hardrations wrote:
Shelldrake wrote:
When I served on Honest John we had one Parka between six of us!" Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad



OIn the Navy - Page 3 Dcp_2013h, and a Blue Flame heater in the Cab for the Driver and the No 1. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The last Honest John launcher left in the Cdn. Army. RCA Museum, CFB Shilo Manitoba. If I remember correctly it was AB launcher 2 SSM (Trg) Bty RCA. As you can see it's in a bit of sad shape but was to be brought back up to par. I watched rockets fired from it and AA launcher in the early 60's.

It would'nt get very far with THAT flat tyre mate !



Gordon Bennett - I nearly had a Heart attack when that popped up!! affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Age : 85
Localisation : Bedfordshire
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 09:32

Hardrations. Fine picture. What is the tartan? I have a wee bit of Scottish blood in my veins, by the way. My grandmother hailed from Inverness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 78
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 09:38

["So", I thought,"we're going to see what Hardrations looks like at last".
What do we get ? A can of Carnation milk ![/quote]

In the Navy - Page 3 P1020710e

This satisfy your curiosty? Last May in Dornie for a wedding.[/quote]

Ah there you are ! Most impressive, if I may say so.

I wish I had the legs for a kilt. Mine look like two bits of knotted string. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 78
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 09:40

Hardrations wrote:
[quote="brumIt would'nt get very far with THAT flat tyre mate !

Did you notice the railway tye supporting the launcher rail?[/quote]

Well yes ,but I thought that was moved back or forward to apply the elevation !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3027
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 09:50

Laughing Laughing Laughing Talking about what we look like, if you go to the Dortmund page - Ubique Barracks - last photograph - 51 Msl Bty - front row - second from right! You'll need a magnifying glass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3027
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 10:19

brum wrote:
Hardrations wrote:
[quote="brumIt would'nt get very far with THAT flat tyre mate !

Did you notice the railway tye supporting the launcher rail?

Well yes ,but I thought that was moved back or forward to apply the elevation ![/quote]





If you look veeeeerrry carefully you will also see, just above and to the rear of the tyre, the blue "Touch" paper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 13:20

Dolmetscher wrote:
Hardrations. Fine picture. What is the tartan? I have a wee bit of Scottish blood in my veins, by the way. My grandmother hailed from Inverness.

T'iss the Campbell tartan. And no I don't need the old Campbells versus the McDonalds remarks. They lost, we won now get over it. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3027
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 14:30

Hardrations wrote:
Dolmetscher wrote:
Hardrations. Fine picture. What is the tartan? I have a wee bit of Scottish blood in my veins, by the way. My grandmother hailed from Inverness.

T'iss the Campbell tartan. And no I don't need the old Campbells versus the McDonalds remarks. They lost, we won now get over it. Smile




Oh dear, it's actually Macdonald - how do I know that? Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 14:38

Shelldrake wrote:
Hardrations wrote:
Dolmetscher wrote:
Hardrations. Fine picture. What is the tartan? I have a wee bit of Scottish blood in my veins, by the way. My grandmother hailed from Inverness.

T'iss the Campbell tartan. And no I don't need the old Campbells versus the McDonalds remarks. They lost, we won now get over it. Smile




Oh dear, it's actually Macdonald - how do I know that? Mad Mad Mad

Whoops, my apologies. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3027
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 14:47

That's alright mate - unless of course if you were there? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Age : 85
Localisation : Bedfordshire
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 16:02

My Gran was a Mackintosh, Hardrations, born in Nairn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 973
Age : 85
Localisation : Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada V2S 7C5
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/1/2011, 16:45

A fine figure of a man .... but why is he wearing a skirt ...

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Sponsored content




In the Navy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the Navy   In the Navy - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
In the Navy
Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» UK R Navy Conventional Diesel Submarines - WW2 & Beyond.
» R. Sigs afloat on HM Fearless ships & Matelots

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: