BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
map reading  Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
map reading  Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
map reading  Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
map reading  Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
map reading  Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
map reading  Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
map reading  Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
map reading  Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
map reading  Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
map reading  Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
map reading  Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
map reading  Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
map reading  Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
map reading  Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
map reading  Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 46 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 46 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

map reading

Go down 
+5
whitehorse660
Shelldrake
Goldmohur
Mike_2817
"john boy"
9 posters
AuthorMessage
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
map reading  890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime26/1/2011, 18:48

once upon a time in Germany a very large exercise was taking place orders for battalion to leave camp @ 02.30 all makes and models you name it with wheels or tracks it was leaving.Off they go through the German countryside and little towns.Now they new where they were going and most of them knew the way,going through little village driver leading the way with some CAPT map reading is told to turn left @ next junction "Er i think we turn right sir",
"no cpl turn left".
"are you sure sir"
"of course i can read a bloody map, now turn left if you please"
"ok... here goes"
YOU KNOW WHATS COMING
400yrds down pretty little street DEAD END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nowhere to go "Bloody hell cpl why have you brought us down here?"
"you said left sir"
"never mind what i said, just get us out of here"

"what about the rest SIR look behind you"
" OH SHIT"
By now the German residence are out in force along with German police and Red Caps
a lot of red faces that night and a lot of guy laughing their tits off

this was told me by a mate in 1RWF

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime27/1/2011, 03:26

Someone once said that the most dangerous weapon in the British Army is a young officer with a map. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime27/1/2011, 12:21

I was once a wrong turning near Seenybridge training area, and had the whole packet follow me (as they do! not following the map themselves LoL) A quick look at the map and a [tight] shortcut though a residential area had me back on track, but at the first stop over it looked like I had overtook the 2 packets ahead of me! Hay Ho I still got away with it, till I was grassed up by those following me... upshot was they got extras for NOT map reading. Result.

WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime27/1/2011, 15:21

I led a packet into a tram terminus in Krefeld. There was only one way out, the way I had used to get in. Many bemused Krefelder tram passengers glaring from their trams. Another packet had followed also. Most if not all had not even unrolled their own maps but it did not stop them chowing at me. As we had trailers attached to most vehicles and in view of the congestion we had caused, most trailers had to be uncoupled and manhandled out of the terminus and then recoupled.

It was a scene reminiscent of a Laurel and Hardy movie.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime27/1/2011, 15:56

Goldmohur, did they call the Krefeld Kops? Cool
Back to top Go down
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime29/1/2011, 14:21

Can`t remember about the Police. I can remember and always will my embarrassment and the looks on the faces of the civilian multitudes sitting quietly within their trams. Also I remember my fury when I retorted to the ridicule by remarkng that my colleauges had all willingly followed me into the terminus despite the obvious absurdity of the manouvre to turn into it. And then to notice them surrepticiously extracting their own maps and routecards from under their backsides on the cab seats.

We also had a game.With apologies to our former RMP members, we used to compete to get the nearest misses on RMP lads on traffic control duties at remote crossroads. The object was to see who could make the hapless JNCO jump furthest as we "accidentally" nearly clipped them with the truck fender.
Back to top Go down
whitehorse660
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 63
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Herford, Werl (twice), Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Sennelager.
Registration date : 2009-11-23

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Map Reading   map reading  Icon_minitime30/1/2011, 20:27

I do remember the near misses on traffic duty,some deliberate, some not. Very Happy The best map reading I ever saw was on a large FTX in 1971. I was a young Lcpl and placed on a stategic cross roads. The whole Brigade would come pass my location that night,according to my Platoon Sargeant, I was in for a busy time. A day later I was picked up, "Where have you been he asked"? Here where you dropped me off I thought to myself. I hadn't seen a soul. Failure in map reading skills were not just a "Rupert" skill. Mad
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime31/1/2011, 11:49

I always felt sorry for those young RMP guys stuck out at remote locations like that.
Back to top Go down
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime31/1/2011, 14:41

I did feel a pang of sorrow as the isolated RMP lad was compelled to jump but the attitude was ingrained I`m afraid and it relieved the tedium. I was a Corporal and I did not drive and indeed failed the tick test in BAOR deliberately so as not to be lumbered. But it did put me automatically in the map reading seat of the lead truck. I suppose the fact that most of my colleagues did not even unroll their own maps must be regarded as some sort of tribute! Ausfahrt was indeed a big place!

We also had the services of the RMP to get us out of the city and onto and safely down the Autobahn.

As with most here, we had Quicktrains in due season. On one occasion our CO (RA) got in in trouble because of our slow response.

His remedy was to order "local" Quicktrains off his own bat. Of course, we had no way of telling which were home made and which were Pukka. For the home grown ones the RMP would be posted about 2 Ausfahrts down the way and we got quite used to finding them cheerfully signalling to us to leave and return to the Barracks. It became quite a game. The timings for getting on the road dropped remarkably. But the main reason for the improving times was the fact that we were hiding heavy lift gear and our own stuff so that we could quickly start up and get going. This was brilliant until the time came that we jumped in, started up, trundled down the Autobahn to find the RMP standing by their motorbikes at the usual spot but waving us on and on. Consequently we arrived in our first wooded location next morning with cam nets but no food, water, bedding etc, not to mention the gear that was needful for the unit to perform.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime31/1/2011, 15:29

"QUICKTRAIN", blimey, I'd clean forgotten THAT blast from the past !
Back to top Go down

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime31/1/2011, 15:53

It was fun when they happened at night or early morning,and half the regiment were pissed out of their minds.Happy daze drunken
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime31/1/2011, 17:42

What, you mean, the guys would be drinking beforehand, Gordon?? Surprised Surprised
Back to top Go down
whitehorse660
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 63
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Herford, Werl (twice), Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Sennelager.
Registration date : 2009-11-23

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Map Reading   map reading  Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 20:43

When I was stationed in Berlin 76-78 they were called "Ex Rocking Horse". This involved the RMP driving around the MQ's with sirens on and announcing over the tannoy system it was time "To get butts" out of bed and report in. We didn't seem very popular at these times. It was also about the only time that if you could stand up, you were fit enough to drive. It had to be that way,otherwise we'd have never got anywhere. Provided you didn't hit anything,every-body was happy. cheers
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 23:12

I remembe a Quick Train in the 60's up in the Deilinghofen area. The Germans were calling out there lads as we were for the Canadians. On some streets the German and Canadian soldiers would work as a team and point out houses that need waking up to the other soldier on their side of the street. Gave thought to some folks why a Canadian or German soldier was doing the wake up for them.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 10:33

I didn't realise that we worked in conjunction with the Germans of Quick Train? That didn't happen in 20 Bde, though I suppose 21 Panzer may have been called out the same time as us.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 17:21

In the Eighties it was changed to "Active Edge", I reckon that the Russkies must have worked out the code for "Quick Train"! pale pale
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 18:58

gallahad wrote:
Someone once said that the most dangerous weapon in the British Army is a young officer with a map. Laughing
Actually it should read: TWO young officers trying to read a map. (That went for the Canadian Army as well.)
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 23:00

recce83 wrote:
gallahad wrote:
Actually it should read: TWO young officers trying to read a map. (That went for the Canadian Army as well.)

To quote a young officer just showing up at the Command Post (very late) , " I wasn't lost, just wasn't sure where I was". Reply by the C.P. officer, " You were lost, now F##k off ".
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime3/2/2011, 10:49

Quote :
To quote a young officer just showing up at the Command Post (very late) , " I wasn't lost, just wasn't sure where I was". Reply by the C.P. officer, " You were lost, now F##k off "

LOL, I like it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

map reading  Empty
PostSubject: Re: map reading    map reading  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

map reading
Page 1 of 1