BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 62 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 62 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Dog & Duck Werl

Go down 
+7
brum
Shelldrake
Stephen Lock
steve jones
whitehorse660
Nobby
Fozzile
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fozzile
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Fally, Werl, Oakington
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime3/2/2011, 23:44

I was in Werl with 1RS LAD REME late '80's. The D&D was my home away from the block! I must have been there a thousand times but can't now remember where it was. I'd just like to try and get my bearings on google earth but with no street view keep getting lost. Always go lost leaving the D&D never getting there! Can anyone show me the way home???
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Number of posts : 79
Places Served : Tidworth, Sennelarger, Werl, Munsterlager, Catterick, Paderborn, Ripon, Detmold, Marchwood.
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime4/2/2011, 07:38

The Dog & Duck, remember it well. I used to go every Tuesday night and watch the American Football with the yanks that were in Werl. Was run by a bloke from Sheffield, cant remember his name at the moment.
It was also known as the second LAD bar.
Lola's was downstairs.
1 RS was probably the second best posting that i had during 23 years. Pity that i had to be subjected to The Black Watch before them, but Werl was the best BAOR location that i was posted to.

Just Google mapped onto Werl. The Dog and Duck was on the corner of Lindenallee and Kastanianallee. I lived in Birkenweg when i was in Werl, just a short walk/stumble on a night out.
Back to top Go down
Fozzile
Private
Private

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 21:08

Thanks Nobby - it all looks different on Google earth now - there seems to be houses on that corner. It would be so much better with street view! I was in Werl from Jul 87 to May 90. I agree with you - I was only in 10 years but Werl was far and away the happiest time I ever had. The D&D was very much the LAD's bar. The guy that ran it was Les and his wife was Nikki. They were great to us. He was an ex-speedway racer as I remember. My first night at Werl (I was at Fally before that) I was met in the block by one of the LAD and taken straight down to the D&D to meet the rest of them. When were you there? I think the Black Watch were before 1RS. Had a good time with them, they weren't so bad. Not that we mixed much with them. They called us "mash men" or "marsh men" or something but none of they could explain the name to us!
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Places Served : Tidworth, Sennelarger, Werl, Munsterlager, Catterick, Paderborn, Ripon, Detmold, Marchwood.

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 21:23

Hi Foz. I was in Werl from 83-87. Firstly with The Watch and then The Royals. The Royals were 10 times better than the Watch. I was in Fire Support section. When i left, Seymour was the Tiffy. The ROCK was the CSM of Fire Support. He used to be my Platoon Corporal when i went through Basic Training in Arborfield. He got thrown out of the REME RD role for 'Disciplining' recruits. Should have seen the LAD lads that knew him when he arrived in Werl!
I met up with Fire Support again in Blackadder camp in the Gulf during the first Gulf War.
The guys from the Royals gave me the best send off i have ever had during my career. I was carried through every building in the camp (including the Colonels office) and out through the main gate. My daughter was born whilst i was in Werl. Strange to think that was 24 years ago and i remember like it was yesterday.
Les & Nikki were great. like you say, he was an ex Speedway star.
They called us Mash men, like you say, no one could explain why.
Back to top Go down
Fozzile
Private
Private

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 23:01

I remember Seymour - brilliant guy. I don't remember the Rock, though. Some other names you might recall who would have been there when you were, Simon Butler, Boris, Pete Malloy (Reccy Mech), damn this gets difficult, ??? Walker (clerk), Dave Pickford, ??? Henderson, Scotty (who wasn't a scot!) Jeansy (MT Platoon with the Royals - spent his time in the pack bay cleaning out the 432's when packs were lifted). Can't remember many more just now. There was another tiffy, good mate of Seymour, a little scots guy but can't think of his name either. I remember the AQMS, ASM and OC were all great guys, the OC that took over not long after I arrived wasn't my best mate, though! I was with B Coy fitters before moving to B Shops at the end of my tour with them. Happy Days!!
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime7/2/2011, 15:05

Si Butler and Dave Pickford were my Samson crew whwn i was in Fire Support. As the Vehicle Electrician i was the Fitter Section boss because Mick Helliwell who was the artisan before Seymour didnt deploy on exrecise. I remember Pete Malloy very well as we had 10 days in America with Willy Goulding and a few others after a Med Man. Not sure if Al Campbell was the tifffy, he was airborne. Met up with him again in the Falklands when he was ASM of the MTW. Like yopu say mate, Happy Days.
Back to top Go down
whitehorse660
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 63
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Herford, Werl (twice), Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Sennelager.
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: dog and duck werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime8/2/2011, 20:31

Hi All, I was in Werl 1990 until the closure of my lot "The RMP" I was also there 1974-1976, the best BAOR posting I ever had. In fact I married a local Girl in 1975,(Still married to the same one). I was there over Christmas, my Boy is married to a local girl. A lot has changed since then,most of the bars have closed, can't imagine why. The D&D was actually on the corner of Westufler Weg and Lindenalle,the other bar just down the road being the "Linden-Hof". The place is still run by Heinz and Anita and trust me from conversations, they miss "The Brits". One of my drinking partners in the RS was Baba Lamb, does any-body remember Him?
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime11/2/2011, 00:35

I was in Werl....good grief when was I in Werl, Mid'70's I guess, 2 Queens regiment. Was the D&D down by the married qtrs ? I dont really remember it all that well. The big hang out for the LAD in those days was a disco in hohenlimborg. A bit of a drive away i agree, but they had never met british squaddies before and thought we were just great. At one point there must have been about a dozen of us spending the weekend there, fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime11/2/2011, 12:27

steve jones wrote:
I was in Werl....good grief when was I in Werl, Mid'70's I guess, 2 Queens regiment. Was the D&D down by the married qtrs ? I dont really remember it all that well. The big hang out for the LAD in those days was a disco in hohenlimborg. A bit of a drive away i agree, but they had never met british squaddies before and thought we were just great. At one point there must have been about a dozen of us spending the weekend there, fantastic.

Yeah Steve. the Dog & Duck was the boozer on the corner just before you entered the Married Quarters. It had Lola's the house of ill repute in the basement. I remember myself and the QM of the Black Watch having to go into Lola's to get some of the wives out before the guys got back from NI. You had the Lindenhof up the road towards town.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime15/2/2011, 21:42

OK, got it. there was another bar more or less in the middle of the qtrs. i think it was on a block along with the families office. remember ?
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime16/2/2011, 18:26

Nobby wrote:
steve jones wrote:

Yeah Steve. the Dog & Duck was the boozer on the corner just before you entered the Married Quarters. It had Lola's the house of ill repute in the basement. I remember myself and the QM of the Black Watch having to go into Lola's to get some of the wives out before the guys got back from NI. You had the Lindenhof up the road towards town.

Oh dear.....now that you mention this sort of thing, I DO recall this was not infrequent. It didn't happen too often amongst the Canadian wives, but then their guys weren't away as long, but of course there were always young single soldiers who "visited" women in the Married Quarters and, gosh golly gee, their vehicles parked out front for quite some time....even over night!!

When I was working in Soest in 1973 and spending time over in the married quarters with my adopted family The Ivorys, I do recall Mrs. Ivory bringing me up to date on the neighbourhood gossip over tea (which I always managed, wonders of wonders, to arrive at the flat in time for!) and certainly this sort of carrying-on was right up there! I believe some of it happened in Hemer as well when the guys were off down in Cyprus. I don't recall, but have no doubt it happened, any of the wives "working" in "pouf houses".....

Of course those wives whose "extracurricular" activities were an open secret....to be brutally honest, I can't imagine why anyone would want to -- ahem! -- spend time with them as the vast majority were total slags!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime16/2/2011, 20:03

Who can forget the OMO packets in the MQ kitchen windows? Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime16/2/2011, 20:06

Shelldrake wrote:
Who can forget the OMO packets in the MQ kitchen windows? Embarassed Embarassed

How IS Joe Hoggins these days ? Wink
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime17/2/2011, 20:28

I'm wondering if this is the gasthof fairly close to the MQs that the Canadians called "The Red Roof"? It's been 46 years so I can't really remember the street names. If memory serves me right the proper name was "Jagerhoff" but that may have been another one. It was popular becaue it was on the way home for the married types.
Back to top Go down
whitehorse660
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 63
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Herford, Werl (twice), Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Sennelager.
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: dog and duck   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime17/2/2011, 21:22

recce83 wrote:
I'm wondering if this is the gasthof fairly close to the MQs that the Canadians called "The Red Roof"? It's been 46 years so I can't really remember the street names. If memory serves me right the proper name was "Jagerhoff" but that may have been another one. It was popular becaue it was on the way home for the married types.

I was in Werl and can't remember a place called the "Jager-Hof". I've spoken to the Wife,who comes from Wickede-Ruhr, she says there was such a place just down from the Camps on the right hand side. Could that be the one?
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime18/2/2011, 00:59

as you came out of camp and headed for Wickede there was a bar on the right, just before you dropped down the hill. you had to knock on a small cut out in the door, and the guy would peer through, usually he wouldnt let squaddies in, but if you were quick, and spoke to him in german then he would be OK. That might be the Jagerhof
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime18/2/2011, 19:02

I think the one down the road Whitehorse's wife knows was the Forsthaus. I remember asking about the place a while back, but no one knows about it being there. It was my personal favourite watering hole run by a very nice couple. A glimpse at Google Earth indicates that an Autobahn seems to run through it now.

As for the place up the hill on the right on the way to Wickede - that was one of the more infamous joints known to Canadians as "The Swinging T*t". A barmaid named Elsa, as full-bodied as the beer they served, dispensed more than drinks quite freely. Yes, I can believe the hole in the door story. The main event on the evening card usually started around 2200 hrs.

And speaking of Wickede, after I got married in '64 we lived next door to a pub at the end of Im Winkel Str. adjacent to the town swimming pool. It was a great place and they threw a rather strenuous party for us the night before we left for Canada. I imagine it's changed hands several times by now if it's still there.

Ah yes...happy times!
Back to top Go down
baba lamb
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-27

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime27/1/2012, 19:13

i remember baba lamb great guy lives in gutersloh now works in PRB with wife and son the dog and duck has saddly gone now turned into a block of flats still manage to go to the lindenhof once a year anita does a garlic steak to die for
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime28/1/2012, 19:39

I've often wondered over the years how the various owners of the different gasthofs frequented by Canadians and then the British fared once we were all gone. I think at the time of us all being there some of them 'tolerated' us because of the money we spent in their establishments, although many quite liked us too! Once we were all gone, however, they surely realized just how profitable us being in there was.

I know in Soest a few of the old places closed down. Paddy's Milk Bar in the Married Qtrs. soon went belly up after the Brits left and that whole strip mall in which it was located is long gone, apparently (as is what was once the NAAFI kitty-corner from it).

What us Canadian kids referred to as 'Isenbeck's' (actually Zum Linden) across from what was then the Belgique Kaserne (now a housing estate) on...oh gosh....I forget the name of the street!! Main drag leading down from the MQs, across the B-1, into downtown Soest. Damn! I knew the name a few months ago!! Silly old brain..... anyway, it's gone now and is now a veterinarian's clinic!

The Palette Disco bar is gone too, now a sporting goods store, just up the road from St. Pauli Church, the Schwartzenraben and a couple of doors down from the Flying Dutchman which was more a bratty stand than a pub but also a pub. I don't think any of our old haunts remain, but then it has been 30, 40 years! Gawd...that long???
Back to top Go down
madmac
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Places Served : WERL, CANADA , NI , DELINGHOFEN, GULF , BENBECULA
Registration date : 2012-03-04

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime4/3/2012, 22:27

Ah the dog and duck ,I remember it well ! Well some bits like the beginning of shock but not the end.I had the Pleasure of serving with the Royals Scots as my first posting as a new Armourer,I was with f/supp for a while with Nobby AQ was Mal Paterson then Steve Coogan with Kev Hotchkiss and CPL Ski later on. I hope the "Rock " got far as he was a good Guy.
Best posting ever ended up with 3 RRF(should have accepted the posting to caterick Garrison) after the Royals and then Benbecula for my sins , saw"Kipper" with his Staff Sergeant another nice guy. Remember Fossil, Pete, Billy the welder ,Boris did boxing with Dave Pickford...... Ah the good auld days sigh
Back to top Go down
Mistyuk
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime10/3/2013, 19:13

Les Glover owned the Dog & Duck :-) We had good times there. My Dad was the ASM at Werl from 1981 to 1986 :-)
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime11/3/2013, 10:53

Mistyuk wrote:
Les Glover owned the Dog & Duck :-) We had good times there. My Dad was the ASM at Werl from 1981 to 1986 :-)

Your dad isnt Charlie Barrett is he????

Once met never forgotten. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mistyuk
LCpl
LCpl

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime11/3/2013, 12:16

That's him ;-) Funnily enough there are a load of us talking about Werl & the D&D on the REME Facebook Group. Probably a load more people you remember in that conversation too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime11/3/2013, 13:13

Mistyuk wrote:
That's him ;-) Funnily enough there are a load of us talking about Werl & the D&D on the REME Facebook Group. Probably a load more people you remember in that conversation too! Very Happy

Remember your dad very well. Whenever i talk about Werl, your dad has to be mentioned.

Always remember he sounded like 'Blakey' from On the Buses fame and Charlie's favourite line " Not my F**king problem"!!!

Is your dad still around? People i still have contact with from Werl is Pat Pattenden.
Back to top Go down
Mistyuk
LCpl
LCpl

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime11/3/2013, 13:27

Yes, he's just walked past me as we speak! I had an extension built on the side of my house and Dad lives in there Smile Are you on Facebook? I can PM you the link to him on there and the link to the REME group if you are. Just chatting to Ted Holroyd, Kev Burns, Sean Conlon, Johnny Stirling & Sandy & Sue Brown now if you rremember any of those too :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dog & Duck Werl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog & Duck Werl   Dog & Duck Werl Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dog & Duck Werl
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next