BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 47 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Clothing and Equipment

Go down 
+20
dandc
cartav
woody
TDivers
jimsigs1
ciphers
reg
Geeneff
"john boy"
Goldmohur
jerry
jim
steve jones
Teabag
Themaadone
Dolmetscher
Shelldrake
alan8376
brum
BobG
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Clothing and Equipment Empty
PostSubject: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 09:46

We seem to have already made a start on this topic but I am sure it can be expanded. We have all had kit, some issued some not, which was totally useless and some of it good ie Parkas. Amongst the worst that I had to use was that issued to DonRs and other M/C riders in the fifties early sixties, do you remember DonR Boots (ammo boots extended), breeches, leather jerkin and gauntlets MT, all totally useless in the winter, to say you froze your 'b----s off' was putting it mildly. A good bit of kit that I managed to aquire when I had to ride a M/C was the old tanksuit, a one piece item with loads of pockets, warm. waterproof and comfortable, pity they went, got mine from the 8 Hussars.
Bob
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 10:07

BobG wrote:
We seem to have already made a start on this topic but I am sure it can be expanded. We have all had kit, some issued some not, which was totally useless and some of it good ie Parkas. Amongst the worst that I had to use was that issued to DonRs and other M/C riders in the fifties early sixties, do you remember DonR Boots (ammo boots extended), breeches, leather jerkin and gauntlets MT, all totally useless in the winter, to say you froze your 'b----s off' was putting it mildly. A good bit of kit that I managed to aquire when I had to ride a M/C was the old tanksuit, a one piece item with loads of pockets, warm. waterproof and comfortable, pity they went, got mine from the 8 Hussars.
Bob

The first bit of useless kit that springs to mind, the horrible green nylon-type socks that came in with the DMS boots. They caused all sorts of foot ailments.

Those knitted woollen gloves. Absolutely useless when working in wet conditions. I used to wear a pair inside the old leather gauntlets you mentioned, Bob.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 11:58

Never came across the socks that you mention Brum,but i do agree with you about the gloves
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 12:26

Yes, The green socks had a lot of man made fibres. Strangely, never needed darning!

Remember the horrible white plastic Inner soles, that looked like large size Breakfast Shreddies, which came with DMS boots? Now they were the main culprits for foot problems if they weren't washed or renewed regulary..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 12:57

Plastic inner soles????That`s a new one too..Where was i when all this was going on?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 13:20

Gordon. wrote:
Plastic inner soles????That`s a new one too..Where was i when all this was going on?

Bleeping in a "nice warm box body" I seem to recall ! Wink
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 13:24

alan8376 wrote:
Yes, The green socks had a lot of man made fibres. Strangely, never needed darning!

Remember the horrible white plastic Inner soles, that looked like large size Breakfast Shreddies, which came with DMS boots? Now they were the main culprits for foot problems if they weren't washed or renewed regulary..

Those insoles were originally issued for the "Boots CWW" which were part of the Korean War cold weather kit.

I never had any problems with the insoles, just the socks, which were a cause of fungal infections.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 13:34

The green socks were terrible, they didn't allow your feet to breathe, much preferred the grey woollen ones,you could wear them with your "Civvies". Very Happy What about those "Raincoats" that were issued in the early 60s, they weren't exactly from John Collier? When I was first issued with my AFH 1157 the RQ said "If anything fits you, bring it back"! No
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 14:23

Shelldrake wrote:
The green socks were terrible, they didn't allow your feet to breathe, much preferred the grey woollen ones,you could wear them with your "Civvies". Very Happy What about those "Raincoats" that were issued in the early 60s, they weren't exactly from John Collier? When I was first issued with my AFH 1157 the RQ said "If anything fits you, bring it back"! No

If I could just put you right there Sheldrake.

The correct designation for the "raincoat" was Macs, Flashing.

Not a lot of people know that.

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 14:28

Surely one of the most useless bits of kit ever must be the No2 Dress cap.

Also known as Caps, Comical, or Hats, Hilarious, or Hats, Gas meter Reading ( the Danes called them Salvation Army piss pots by the way !). Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 15:28

Talking of hats, we were also issued with a DPM Combat Cap, now they were embarrassing, especially when worn with your Cap Badge - looked like an Army Cadet Troop. Pleased to say that they didn't become De Rigueur! Barrack Dress trousers were OK, the
only problem with them was they got very shiny after many irons, if you fell over you could get 7 years bad luck!
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 15:50

brum wrote:

Also known as Caps, Comical, or Hats, Hilarious, or Hats, Gas meter Reading ( the Danes called them Salvation Army piss pots by the way !). Embarassed
Is this what you mean, Brum? I'm the one on the right. http://www.artus-familyhistory.com/source/M%20Gladbach.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 16:04

Quote :
No2 Dress cap

Always thought it was a NO1 dress hat.....Worn with NO 2s..
Another name being the twat hat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 16:07

Only had my" mac flashing" for a couple of weeks..They took it off me with my greatcoat when i headed for warmer climes.The greatcoat only got worn on guard with a nice warm parka on top.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 17:24

Dolmetscher wrote:
brum wrote:

Is this what you mean, Brum? I'm the one on the right. http://www.artus-familyhistory.com/source/M%20Gladbach.html

Dolmetscher, did you send your Cap Badge to the Dhobi? Smile
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 18:09

What did we use before sleeping bags were issued? How many of you remember taking the blankets off your bed and making a blanket roll. I was taught by my father, another old soldier, that the essentials were to fold the blankets so that you had the same number of layers under you as on top and the whole lot held together by 4 very large blanket pins, available from civ camping equip shops, and then rolled up in your ground sheet. Good under dry conditions but lousy when wet.
Bob
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 18:58

Dolmetscher wrote:
brum wrote:

It looks like a collar dog afixed to the cap...

No wonder I got short changed on pay parades...... everything was short n small ..... lol
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 19:45

Shelldrake. Never noticed that. Looks more like a collar dog.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 20:03

Dolmetscher wrote:
Shelldrake. Never noticed that. Looks more like a collar dog.

I just assumed it was a beret badge !
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 20:32

Attention to detail, dear boy - attention to detail! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 21:53

BobG wrote:
What did we use before sleeping bags were issued? How many of you remember taking the blankets off your bed and making a blanket roll. I was taught by my father, another old soldier, that the essentials were to fold the blankets so that you had the same number of layers under you as on top and the whole lot held together by 4 very large blanket pins, available from civ camping equip shops, and then rolled up in your ground sheet. Good under dry conditions but lousy when wet.
Bob

Yes Bob, I had a spell of sleeping like that.

We improved things a little by buying a cheap German sleeping bag as an inner then we arranged the blankets around it. In later years I acquired an Officer's Valise (minus the sleeping bag, unfortunately) which improved things enormously-until the "Q" clapped eyes on it !

On a number of occasions the individual guns would lay out a huge canvas sheet, folded in half. We from the command post would get under one of them on the nearest gun and it was weatherproof. Great kip ! Sleep

Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 22:44

One thing I never liked was the smell of damp, grotty sleeping bags. Air them all you like but it was still there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime20/2/2011, 23:21

Quote :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob

We were issued with WHITE outer bags to put our blanket roll in.Waterproof bottom and cotton top.Didn`t last long.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 05:16

I had a tank suit that I wore on my civvie motor bike. Rode from Bracknel to Munster one very cold winter. Nylon under clothes, track suit, waterproofs, leather jacket and the tank suit on top. Inner silk gloves, gauntlets and waterproof over mits, silk helmet liner and a full face and i froze my arse off. had to stop at every service station to warm up. Had to use the hand dryer to get enough feeling in my hands to be able to undo the helmet strap. boy we were young and stupid once.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 10:22

We had one Parka between six of us on Honest John - but I think that I might have mentioned that already!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clothing and Equipment
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next