BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Clothing and Equipment

Go down 
+20
dandc
cartav
woody
TDivers
jimsigs1
ciphers
reg
Geeneff
"john boy"
Goldmohur
jerry
jim
steve jones
Teabag
Themaadone
Dolmetscher
Shelldrake
alan8376
brum
BobG
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 10:48

steve jones wrote:
I had a tank suit that I wore on my civvie motor bike. Rode from Bracknel to Munster one very cold winter. Nylon under clothes, track suit, waterproofs, leather jacket and the tank suit on top. Inner silk gloves, gauntlets and waterproof over mits, silk helmet liner and a full face and i froze my arse off. had to stop at every service station to warm up. Had to use the hand dryer to get enough feeling in my hands to be able to undo the helmet strap. boy we were young and stupid once.

Rather you than me Steve
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 11:46

If the army taught me anything, it was the art of keeping warm. Still wear long johns. (Reminds me, must get them laundered) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 13:32

Teabag wrote:
One thing I never liked was the smell of damp, grotty sleeping bags. Air them all you like but it was still there.

Our sleeping bags came from a sort of central pool in the 70s, all the units in the area used the same ones. They used to stink of rancid sweaty bodies and cheesy feet.

I was issued one once and without thinking, I threw it into the wagon with the rest of my kit. Getting into it at Reinsehlen I found that it had been made for Ronnie Corbett and only came up to my armpits. I never made THAT mistake again ! No
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 15:18

Dolmetscher wrote:
If the army taught me anything, it was the art of keeping warm. Still wear long johns. (Reminds me, must get them laundered) Very Happy
Every six months whether they need it or not !!!! Cool

Last edited by jerry on 21/2/2011, 15:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling again !!!)
Back to top Go down
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 15:49

Cor, yes I remember the blanket roll taken from your bed, and the hard floors or ground upon which we tried to snatch short spells of sleep, not to mention the wet bivvies and cam nets plus incessant rain
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 18:57

Dolmetscher wrote:
are they of the army type"with hole in back..........for the use of!!!!? lol!
Back to top Go down
Geeneff
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 11
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Aldershot, Catterick, York, Blandford, PJHQ Northwood, Stafford, Corsham, Londonderry, Episkopi, Fort Bragg NC, Celle, Herford, Osnabruck, Krefeld, Lippstadt, Elmpt, Sarajevo, Saudi, Namibia, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 19:22

Don't know what era you lot come from. I'm used to a sleeping system with stuff sack on an American camp bed with liner and Goretex outer. Also a supplementary lightweight gonkbag for when the evenings get a tad too warm Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 20:02

I'm from the "Needing them, not feeding them" generation". Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2011, 21:12

brum wrote:
Teabag wrote:
One thing I never liked was the smell of damp, grotty sleeping bags. Air them all you like but it was still there.

Our sleeping bags came from a sort of central pool in the 70s, all the units in the area used the same ones. They used to stink of rancid sweaty bodies and cheesy feet.

I was issued one once and without thinking, I threw it into the wagon with the rest of my kit. Getting into it at Reinsehlen I found that it had been made for Ronnie Corbett and only came up to my armpits. I never made THAT mistake again ! No

Wondered what had happened to mine! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2011, 09:38

Geeneff wrote:
Don't know what era you lot come from. I'm used to a sleeping system with stuff sack on an American camp bed with liner and Goretex outer. Also a supplementary lightweight gonkbag for when the evenings get a tad too warm Very Happy

I wish!!

I did have a bundeswehr parka, not sure where I got it from, probably 21 Panzer at Augustdorf, now that was a great bit of kit. Had to unstich the "Fahne" though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 12:06

Lightweight sleeping systems on tick for Belize, Afghanistan, Kuwait, great piece of kit. The Northern Europe sleeper was brilliant with the Gore Tex outer bag which could be used as a Bivi Bag.

The buying of your own kit was the main issue we had. The hierarchy came to realise that we fought (trained) better with better personal kit and it was tolerated, if not per individual unit accepted, that we bought, wore and maintained our own kit.

I started off with German Para Boots and a German sleeping bag which had arms! and a flap which you could flip up the lower half so very warm when in the gun pit...

I ended up buying all sorts. Chest Rigs as in the back of a 432/warrior/saxon sitting on pouches is a touch uncomfortable. Mini binoculars, model kit, knifes, cooker, torches, cam cream (I used good stuff or else I looked like a spotty teen), bergan (prior to PLCE), 5 litre watter bladder.

Issue kit was ok but left a lot to be desired...
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 12:16

I bought a Battery Scarf once, it was deducted from my pay in instalments over a period! Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 12:17

Did you ever find a better tin opener than the ubiquitous one from Compo packs? They take some beating!

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 13:07

They still issued hob-nail boots when I was serving. Also, the wonderful green underpants. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 13:29

alan8376 wrote:
Did you ever find a better tin opener than the ubiquitous one from Compo packs? They take some beating!

Good point !

I think the Swiss Army knife has a better one though.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 13:31

Dolmetscher wrote:
Also, the wonderful green underpants. Smile

Ah yes, "Drawers, Drac" ! alien
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 13:37

Shelldrake wrote:
I bought a Battery Scarf once, it was deducted from my pay in instalments over a period! Sad Sad

We too had Battery scarves inflicted on us. Bloody daft Yank idea.

I still have a stable belt from my "N" Battery (The Eagle Troop) days, purchased from the PRI.

QOH take the prize for cheek though. Cpls and above had to wear a metal cypher badge, above the chevrons on No 2 dress, which we had to pay for out of our own pockets. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 14:03

alan8376 wrote:

Still carry one in my wallet and it is over 30 years old. Never heard of scarves but we had cravats at 2 Sqn 21st Signal Regt. Blue with red hands on them. Of course I wish to buy one SSM!

I'm in the red hand gang!
Back to top Go down
reg
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 26
Cap Badge : royal signals
Places Served : 11sigs,8sigs & 22sigs, 7th battalion r.anglian.r.ta,9/12 lancers army cadets
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 18:26

the battery scarfs............are they duracell or eveready?

reg
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 19:36

reg wrote:
the battery scarfs............are they duracell or eveready?

reg

BOOM BOOM tish!
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/2/2011, 21:37

My daughter is in the NZ army TF, and they still get issued the same tin openers and hexi burners as we did. She had some ration packs at home and fed everyone during the recent disaster from rat packs cooked on a hexi burner.
Back to top Go down
reg
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 26
Cap Badge : royal signals
Places Served : 11sigs,8sigs & 22sigs, 7th battalion r.anglian.r.ta,9/12 lancers army cadets
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/2/2011, 17:59

How about the izal toilet paper we had in barracks.......so smooth & soft..Hmmmm.

reg
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/2/2011, 18:10

reg wrote:
How about the izal toilet paper we had in barracks.......so smooth & soft..Hmmmm.

reg
what do you think us slop jockeys used for grease proof paper YUM YUM........................ lol!
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/2/2011, 18:56

That stuff was bloody awful. I'm sorry for being so graphic but... when arse was wiped, that stuff just smeared the shite everywhere. I t was T O R T U R E
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/2/2011, 19:32

Themaadone wrote:
That stuff was bloody awful. I'm sorry for being so graphic but... when arse was wiped, that stuff just smeared the shite everywhere. I t was T O R T U R E
yeah gave a whole knew meaning to the word SKIDMARK.............. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clothing and Equipment
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next