BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 26 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 25 Guests :: 2 Bots

alan8376

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Memory lane

Go down 
+34
bigmal
Dee Z
Ian
steve
tiny
KEITH DOWNES
'granny'
Daveb
pinky
Les Pattenden
Wilf
ciphers
KIeler sprotten
dandc
BobG
mjm34
jimsigs1
reg
Goldmohur
Dolmetscher
gingerjim
TDivers
steve jones
recce83
Stephen Lock
jim
john mcmillan
jerry
brum
Teabag
Hardrations
Themaadone
Shelldrake
"john boy"
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Memory lane - Page 8 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Memory lane - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 21:12

Memory lane - Page 8 Cig2 bet half you guy have smoked some of these at one time The Bandmaster cut a dashing image!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 23:21

Johnboy....Like me, you are far too young to remember those.Now Brum Cartav and Jimsigs ???Well?????????????????????
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 10:19

"john boy" wrote:
Memory lane - Page 8 Cig2 bet half you guy have smoked some of these at one time The Bandmaster cut a dashing image!!!!

WOT ? ! No Park Drive ?

(I admit to remembering "Greys")

When I was at school we kids used to race upstairs on buses to look for fag packets, especially those with cigarette cards inside. We were fanatical collectors.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 10:22

Gordon. wrote:
Johnboy....Like me, you are far too young to remember those.Now Brum Cartav and Jimsigs ???Well?????????????????????

I notice you omitted The Grumpy Old Bugger on The Wirral from that shortlist !

Suspect
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 10:39

This wind that's battering us at the moment.

Anybody remember how the roof tiles used to blow off the barrack blocks ?

I remember it was particularly dangerous in Nienburg, we had to wear steel helmets while walking around the camp. affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 11:34

Quote :
The Grumpy Old Bugger on The Wirral from that shortlist !

He is but a babe in arms compared to the shortlistMemory lane - Page 8 Oldman
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 11:46

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
The Grumpy Old Bugger on The Wirral from that shortlist !

He is but a babe in arms compared to the shortlistMemory lane - Page 8 Oldman

So true. Ignore the exiled brummie. Actually I do remember adverts for Black Cat. One of those steel signs that we used to chuck stones at to make a rather satisfying noise.

Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 12:37

ciggies used to be considred good for your health,some of you must remember the tv advert " youre never alone with a strand ".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 13:19

I think that was meant to mean "good for your sex life" Embarassed I never smoked them..must be where i went wrong Sad
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 14:39

dandc wrote:
ciggies used to be considred good for your health,some of you must remember the tv advert " youre never alone with a strand ".

That is why they were a failure. Smokers considered they were for loners. Ain't an education wonderful?
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/9/2011, 19:38

i used to jump on the back of a horse and cart going to school and prayed the driver did not turn his whip on us, that left me wiv 2d. so it was a penny woodbine from the corner shop near the school. the other penny was my tram fare home. appy days.ginger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 07:03

Quote :
boy....Like me, you are far too young to remember those.Now Brum Cartav and Jimsigs ???Well?????????????????????

Noticed i had ommited Ciphers from the short list...

Happy Birthday young Len
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 15:56

http://rorymerryphotos.com/keyword/ireland/2/768959342_c8tXZ#768961167_sSjPsMemory lane - Page 8 768959342_c8tXZ#768961167_sSjPs

I came across some photos of my father in N.I back draw photos as I call them I get them out to look at from time to time ,so I thought are there any sites on the net that have these type of photos because I have no doubt that a lot of you guys have photos like these tucked away that when you look at them takes you down memory lane so happy viewing "John Boy" lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 16:56

Things i`d rather forget JB
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 17:18

Leave me alone you whipper snipper ... bad enough getting old without being reminded of it ..(the curse of being on several groups .. you just can't keep a secret from the common people)
Thanks anyway Gordon.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 17:47

Gordon. wrote:

If you wish me to remove that post I will I do not wish to upset you good guys its just that is how I remember my childhood .As you know we were bombarded with these images through the media of the day . lol!

PS SORRY Gordon
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 17:56

brum wrote:

This wind that's battering us at the moment.

Anybody remember how the roof tiles used to blow off the barrack blocks ?

I remember it was particularly dangerous in Nienburg, we had to wear steel helmets while walking around the camp. affraid

I remember a storm in Lemgo one day when prior to (I think) Presentation of the colours all the flag poles blew over all the trestle tables and chairs were blown all over the parade ground . Quite funny watching the squaddies sweeping up leaves as they blow all over the place. Plus the unwanted puddles scratch lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 20:00

Quote :
PS SORRY Gordon

Dont be daft..I`m not offended..Just something i`d rather forget.xxxxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 20:02

Quote :
Leave me alone you whipper snipper ... bad enough getting old without being reminded of it ..(the curse of being on several groups .. you just can't keep a secret from the common people)
Thanks anyway Gordon.

lol! Memory lane - Page 8 OldmanMemory lane - Page 8 Party
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 20:14

Gordon. wrote:

Most of those pics seem to be '69, Parachute regt.

My first tour was '72. Different situation altogether by then.

The paras came into our area a couple of times, no advance warning, not wearing berets, they were lucky not to be fired on.

Bleedin' cowboys.
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/9/2011, 20:37

Brum, your old regt (RHQ plus A Sqn) were there Jan - May 72. A Sqn QOH were in Gosford Castle with A Sqn RSDG, made for an interesting time. This was not too long after the Greys and Carbs amalgamated and already there were hardly any ex Carbs in the Sqn, always felt it was not the best of amalgamations.
Bob
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime14/9/2011, 10:03

Thanks Bob,

The last time I saw QOH was when we visited their position at Lisnaskea, '77 I think.

As for the RSDG.

I often wondered which genius in The Warbox cooked up the idea of amalgamating a regt that recruited in NWales/Cheshire with a Scottish mob. Similarly, The Worcesters and the Sherwood Foresters, to make the WFR, another marriage made in hell !

One night in '69 my Squadron Leader paid 3rd Carbs a visit when they were in (I think) Pergamos. As usual I, as his driver, had to wait with the serfs in the kitchen. When the staff realised I had connections with Denbigh it was a slap-up meal and endless half-litre bottles of Carlsberg for yours truly !

(The S/L didn't notice, he was more pissed than I was !).

Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime18/9/2011, 03:44

"john boy" wrote:
I think when I was in it was about 50p a pint and £1.00 for spirits use to get ratted for a fiver
How cheap can you guys go? lol!

In the company bar at Barker Barracks (Paderborn) spirits were 50 pfg a shot and beer was 1DM a bottle (This was...1986) and believe it or not we used to make a profit! At the time I think the exchange rate was about 3DM to the £, so a beer was about 33p and a shot was about 16p.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime18/9/2011, 07:15

WOW!!!! That was expensive Will Laughing
Herfy 60 pfg a bottle and around 11 marks to the pound drunken 62-65
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime18/9/2011, 11:00

CALLED INFLATION..a pint of beer in the UK these days, what £3 ?

HIP HIP, HURRAH, I MADE IT TO THE OFFICERS MESS, PHEW. Laughing

Now I have three pips on here, like I had when I retired from the Coppers. cheers

My round..lemonades?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Memory lane
Page 8 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next