BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 49 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 48 Guests :: 2 Bots

brian beckett

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Memory lane

Go down 
+34
bigmal
Dee Z
Ian
steve
tiny
KEITH DOWNES
'granny'
Daveb
pinky
Les Pattenden
Wilf
ciphers
KIeler sprotten
dandc
BobG
mjm34
jimsigs1
reg
Goldmohur
Dolmetscher
gingerjim
TDivers
steve jones
recce83
Stephen Lock
jim
john mcmillan
jerry
brum
Teabag
Hardrations
Themaadone
Shelldrake
"john boy"
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18
AuthorMessage
nails
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-11-23

Memory lane - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime7/12/2012, 23:30

At Blandford camp in 1954 I was paying 9pence a pint. Old money, of course. My weekly pay was twenty five shillings, as I remember. Needless to say, we did'nt go out much.
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime8/12/2012, 14:02

"john boy" wrote:
Memory lane - Page 18 !CC!ks!QEWk~$(KGrHqUOKpoE0VRsee(QBNJ)vhdoj!~~_35

memories!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think these were the favourite of us school kids growing up in the 70s can't remember the price but they were cheap compared to to-day . There always seemed to be a packet of these or No10s on the guardroom table Memory lane - Page 18 Player%27s_No.10_(with_NSM)_S-20-B_-_England If only we could calculate how much we spent over the years and put all that cash together we might be saying words like "This time next year we'll be millionaires" well not quite depends how much one smoked I guess

It was No6 for me, man & boy lol.

I used to spend my 12p dinner money on ten No6 and a box of matches. 10½p for the fags, 1½p for the matches, boy those were the prices!

Memory lane - Page 18 Player_s_no_6_finest_virginia_s_10_h_light_blue_green_white
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime8/12/2012, 19:48

five woodbines for 4d now that was value for money , ginger
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime9/12/2012, 15:43

When we were kids we rarely had enough money for a whole pack of fags, the local shop owner seeing an opportunity would open a pack and sell us as many as we could afford bless him. Can you imagine that happening these days?
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime9/12/2012, 17:13

OK since this is 'memory lane' ...

Me & a mate went up to Hamburg as we had done dozens of times previously. We usually drove up on Saturday afternoon and left on Sunday...ish. Anyway on this particular occasion we got back to the car at...five or six in the morning and it would be fair to say we were not exactly 'compos mentis' As we searched our pockets we realised we had lost the car keys, I thought fek it and kicked the passenger side quarter light through then reached in and opened the door, we decided to worry about the lost keys after we had got some kip. A few hours later we came round, I slowly remembered I'd bust the quarter light, I then remembered we had lost the car keys, my mate then pointed out something that struck me as rather odd, the steering wheel was on the wrong side of the car! We got out and checked the number plates, I thought bugger me we've been kipping in someone elses car, and I've bust the bloody window! We quickly buggered off and after a short while found our car, oddly enough exactly where we had left it. I did feel bad about busting someone elses window but we were buggered if we were going to try and explain it to those nice GCP types.

Last edited by Wilf on 9/12/2012, 20:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
biggsy
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 33
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Kenya, Worthy Down, Winchester, Andover, Detmold, Soest, Hamm, Korbecke, Kirton Lindsey,
Registration date : 2012-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime9/12/2012, 17:24

I remember when my Dad was a BSM and one of his lads, who I only know of as "Swamp Rat" went on a binge into Soest.
He broke into a gents clothes shop and went back to Salamanca Barracks with his spoils, only to find out the suit didn't fit him!
I assume he was still blathered when he took the suit back to change it only to find the german Police waiting for him. Ha
This "Swamp Rat" must have been one of me Dad's favourites because he was always telling us stories of what the lad was getting up to.
Those were the days. Great.
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime9/12/2012, 19:21

Hiya Biggsy Smile...

... call me a pedant but are you RA or REME?
Back to top Go down
biggsy
Sgt
Sgt

Places Served : Kenya, Worthy Down, Winchester, Andover, Detmold, Soest, Hamm, Korbecke, Kirton Lindsey,

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime9/12/2012, 21:25

Wilf, RA
Back to top Go down
Cfn Bill Axten
Private
Private
Cfn Bill Axten

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : REME / 11th Arm'd Div ; 4th Inf. Div.
Places Served : Blandford , Barton Stacey ,Kunsebeck BAOR
Registration date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime10/12/2012, 03:58

Does anyone else remember eating what I understand is called zollei in the German pubs ?
It consists simply of cold hard-boiled eggs which one shells then cuts in half . the half yolk is removed and a few drops of olive oil and then vinegar are put into the hollow in the white . This is followed by salt and pepper and finally a smear of senf ( German mustard). The loaded up half egg , with its yolk replaced , is then put smartly into the mouth....delicious , and proof positive to the family that one's 2 years national Service had not been a complete waste of time.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime10/12/2012, 07:31

Wilf wrote:
OK since this is 'memory lane' ...

Me & a mate went up to Hamburg as we had done dozens of times previously. We usually drove up on Saturday afternoon and left on Sunday...ish. Anyway on this particular occasion we got back to the car at...five or six in the morning and it would be fair to say we were not exactly 'compos mentis' As we searched our pockets we realised we had lost the car keys, I thought fek it and kicked the passenger side quarter light through then reached in and opened the door, we decided to worry about the lost keys after we had got some kip. A few hours later we came round, I slowly remembered I'd bust the quarter light, I then remembered we had lost the car keys, my mate then pointed out something that struck me as rather odd, the steering wheel was on the wrong side of the car! We got out and checked the number plates, I thought bugger me we've been kipping in someone elses car, and I've bust the bloody window! We quickly buggered off and after a short while found our car, oddly enough exactly where we had left it. I did feel bad about busting someone elses window but we were buggered if we were going to try and explain it to those nice GCP types.

It was you, Bastard!! Laughing What happened to the 200 No 6 in the Glove Compartment?

Last edited by Shelldrake on 10/12/2012, 09:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime10/12/2012, 09:13

biggsy wrote:
I remember when my Dad was a BSM and one of his lads, who I only know of as "Swamp Rat" went on a binge into Soest.
He broke into a gents clothes shop and went back to Salamanca Barracks with his spoils, only to find out the suit didn't fit him!
I assume he was still blathered when he took the suit back to change it only to find the german Police waiting for him. Ha
This "Swamp Rat" must have been one of me Dad's favourites because he was always telling us stories of what the lad was getting up to.
Those were the days. Great.

I recall that there were certain offences which were classified as "Prevalent Offences" and published as such on Regtl Part 1 Orders. These consisted of, among others, Stealing a flag, Absence without leave, Stealing a bike, Stealing a coat and, if you were charged with one of the above, when the Commanding Officer said "March the guilty Bastard in, Sarn't Major", a Court Martial could be taken in to consideration. One was deemed to be a bit of a legend if you woke up in the morning with a flag on your bed, a coat in your locker and a bike in the corner of the room.
Back to top Go down
biggsy
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime10/12/2012, 09:28

Excellent......it would seem that "swamp rat" was after the full set then.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime10/12/2012, 09:41

It he got himself a bike..........the world was his Lobster!
Back to top Go down
biggsy
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime10/12/2012, 09:59

I've just been on to Facebook, 32 Minden Battery and found a bloke; Andy Anderson, who's being tagged as "Swamp Rat".
I will have to try and get in touch to see if he remembers my Father.
Does any one on here recognise the name?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memory lane   Memory lane - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Memory lane
Page 18 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18