BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Reading . . . Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Reading . . . Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Reading . . . Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Reading . . . Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Reading . . . Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Reading . . . Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Reading . . . Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Reading . . . Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Reading . . . Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Reading . . . Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Reading . . . Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Reading . . . Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Reading . . . Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Reading . . . Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Reading . . . Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 57 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 57 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Reading . . .

Go down 
+2
"john boy"
brum
6 posters
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime27/4/2011, 20:33

I'm reading a book called "Shots from the Front" by Richard Holmes.

It's an excellent read, and while the subject matter is WW1, there is much that contributors to this site will find interesting.

There is a picture of Nissen huts, erected on the Somme battlefield. I allways wondered why they were named "Nissen" and it turns out that they were inventedby a Major Peter Nissen, a Canadian mining engineer.

Of interest to those involved with BAOR ambulance trains, there is a picture of the inside of a 1918 British ambulance train.

Fascinating stuff. I recommend the book ! study
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Reading . . . 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime27/4/2011, 21:24

brum wrote:

I'm reading a book called "Shots from the Front" by Richard Holmes.

It's an excellent read, and while the subject matter is WW1, there is much that contributors to this site will find interesting.

There is a picture of Nissen huts, erected on the Somme battlefield. I allways wondered why they were named "Nissen" and it turns out that they were inventedby a Major Peter Nissen, a Canadian mining engineer.

Of interest to those involved with BAOR ambulance trains, there is a picture of the inside of a 1918 British ambulance train.

Fascinating stuff. I recommend the book ! study

Brum read that book in about 6hrs brill study
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Reading . . . 890-95

Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime27/4/2011, 22:13

I remember reading a book about Douglas Bader and it got to the part in the book about his confinement in Coldizt .Now whilst he was a P.O.W. he had himself a batman who had to carry him up and down the stairs.Well the time came for some guys to be repatriated back home and one of the guys to go was his batman.Bader took this news badly and spoke to the camp commandant complaining that he would have anyone to carry him when needed.So the poor batman didn't get the chance to go home.Well that certainly changed my view of Douglas Bader study
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime27/4/2011, 22:19

"john boy" wrote:
I remember reading a book about Douglas Bader and it got to the part in the book about his confinement in Coldizt .Now whilst he was a P.O.W. he had himself a batman who had to carry him up and down the stairs.Well the time came for some guys to be repatriated back home and one of the guys to go was his batman.Bader took this news badly and spoke to the camp commandant complaining that he would have anyone to carry him when needed.So the poor batman didn't get the chance to go home.Well that certainly changed my view of Douglas Bader study

Yeh read that too John. He wasn't liked by many people because he was very arrogant both before being a POW and after.

I've been to Colditz. Think the girl in the cafe used to be a guard, the miserable cow!
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Reading . . . 890-95

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime27/4/2011, 22:27

Teabag wrote:
"john boy" wrote:

Yeh read that too John. He wasn't liked by many people because he was very arrogant both before being a POW and after.

I've been to Colditz. Think the girl in the cafe used to be a guard, the miserable cow!

You have a wonderful way with words Teabag lol!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime28/4/2011, 08:40

"john boy" wrote:

Didn't have a leg to stand on.

Brian
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime29/4/2011, 00:05

I've also been to Colditz. Very depressing place and was then being used as a sanitorium. Funny really that being a castle it was designed to stop people getting in.
Also on the subject of Douglas Bader, he certainly put a lot of fellow prisoners in danger by his arrogant ways but then he was the product of his class and an inner belief in moving mountains.

Jimsigs1
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime8/5/2011, 12:10

If anyone has ever read "The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann, French fighter pilot, they may remember a mention of Walter Nowotny, a German ace who flew an Me 262, one of the first jets. He led Kommando Nowotny, a squadron based at Achmer airfield, in the vicinity of Osnabruck. It was tasked with intercepting the late-war daylight raids by the US 8th Airforce. Nowotny crashed at Achmer, thought to have been shot down in clouds above the airfield. He was severely burned and died of his wounds in the Osnabruck hospital.

Achmer is close by the canal and was cleared of buildings and runways early post war. It became Training Area A, well used by the Osnabruck garrison. There is a memorial beside the road running past which records the airfield's use by the Luftwaffe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reading . . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   Reading . . . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reading . . .
Page 1 of 1