BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
» 1 Field Ambulance listed as RCASC
Yesterday at 00:51 by AlBerry

» Books by ex Squaddies
21/10/2017, 12:56 by Shelldrake

» John Walker - VW
20/10/2017, 16:36 by Johnwalker

» Sennelager?
19/10/2017, 19:33 by Johnwalker

» Luneburg 1954/5
19/10/2017, 10:03 by Lighthouseman

» John Walker's Bikes
18/10/2017, 19:04 by Johnwalker

» British Army VW Beetle (1950s)
17/10/2017, 23:33 by burgess720

» It's been awhile guys.
17/10/2017, 22:33 by Pborn4

» Royal Signals Helmstedt
12/10/2017, 20:35 by rickyrochy

» Cap Badges
11/10/2017, 23:12 by burgess720

» John Walker
9/10/2017, 14:16 by Shelldrake

» German musicians in CCG and Officers' Clubs
9/10/2017, 11:09 by JPW

» Barracks in Schleswig-Holstein
9/10/2017, 10:58 by JPW

» Newton Abbot
7/10/2017, 20:00 by KrisT

» Hibernation
5/10/2017, 20:58 by KrisT

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     
CalendarCalendar
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 
 

 Reading . . .

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Reading . . .   27/4/2011, 20:33


I'm reading a book called "Shots from the Front" by Richard Holmes.

It's an excellent read, and while the subject matter is WW1, there is much that contributors to this site will find interesting.

There is a picture of Nissen huts, erected on the Somme battlefield. I allways wondered why they were named "Nissen" and it turns out that they were inventedby a Major Peter Nissen, a Canadian mining engineer.

Of interest to those involved with BAOR ambulance trains, there is a picture of the inside of a 1918 British ambulance train.

Fascinating stuff. I recommend the book ! study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 939
Age : 55
Localisation : shrewsbury
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   27/4/2011, 21:24

brum wrote:

I'm reading a book called "Shots from the Front" by Richard Holmes.

It's an excellent read, and while the subject matter is WW1, there is much that contributors to this site will find interesting.

There is a picture of Nissen huts, erected on the Somme battlefield. I allways wondered why they were named "Nissen" and it turns out that they were inventedby a Major Peter Nissen, a Canadian mining engineer.

Of interest to those involved with BAOR ambulance trains, there is a picture of the inside of a 1918 British ambulance train.

Fascinating stuff. I recommend the book ! study

Brum read that book in about 6hrs brill study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 939
Age : 55
Localisation : shrewsbury
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   27/4/2011, 22:13

I remember reading a book about Douglas Bader and it got to the part in the book about his confinement in Coldizt .Now whilst he was a P.O.W. he had himself a batman who had to carry him up and down the stairs.Well the time came for some guys to be repatriated back home and one of the guys to go was his batman.Bader took this news badly and spoke to the camp commandant complaining that he would have anyone to carry him when needed.So the poor batman didn't get the chance to go home.Well that certainly changed my view of Douglas Bader study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 960
Age : 67
Localisation : Merseyside
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   27/4/2011, 22:19

"john boy" wrote:
I remember reading a book about Douglas Bader and it got to the part in the book about his confinement in Coldizt .Now whilst he was a P.O.W. he had himself a batman who had to carry him up and down the stairs.Well the time came for some guys to be repatriated back home and one of the guys to go was his batman.Bader took this news badly and spoke to the camp commandant complaining that he would have anyone to carry him when needed.So the poor batman didn't get the chance to go home.Well that certainly changed my view of Douglas Bader study

Yeh read that too John. He wasn't liked by many people because he was very arrogant both before being a POW and after.

I've been to Colditz. Think the girl in the cafe used to be a guard, the miserable cow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 939
Age : 55
Localisation : shrewsbury
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   27/4/2011, 22:27

Teabag wrote:
"john boy" wrote:
I remember reading a book about Douglas Bader and it got to the part in the book about his confinement in Coldizt .Now whilst he was a P.O.W. he had himself a batman who had to carry him up and down the stairs.Well the time came for some guys to be repatriated back home and one of the guys to go was his batman.Bader took this news badly and spoke to the camp commandant complaining that he would have anyone to carry him when needed.So the poor batman didn't get the chance to go home.Well that certainly changed my view of Douglas Bader study

Yeh read that too John. He wasn't liked by many people because he was very arrogant both before being a POW and after.

I've been to Colditz. Think the girl in the cafe used to be a guard, the miserable cow!

You have a wonderful way with words Teabag lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelldrake
FM
FM
avatar

Number of posts : 2998
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   28/4/2011, 08:40

"john boy" wrote:
I remember reading a book about Douglas Bader and it got to the part in the book about his confinement in Coldizt .Now whilst he was a P.O.W. he had himself a batman who had to carry him up and down the stairs.Well the time came for some guys to be repatriated back home and one of the guys to go was his batman.Bader took this news badly and spoke to the camp commandant complaining that he would have anyone to carry him when needed.So the poor batman didn't get the chance to go home.Well that certainly changed my view of Douglas Bader study




Didn't have a leg to stand on.


Brian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 1298
Age : 83
Localisation : West of England
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   29/4/2011, 00:05

I've also been to Colditz. Very depressing place and was then being used as a sanitorium. Funny really that being a castle it was designed to stop people getting in.
Also on the subject of Douglas Bader, he certainly put a lot of fellow prisoners in danger by his arrogant ways but then he was the product of his class and an inner belief in moving mountains.

Jimsigs1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen


Number of posts : 784
Age : 87
Localisation : s. yorks
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   8/5/2011, 12:10

If anyone has ever read "The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann, French fighter pilot, they may remember a mention of Walter Nowotny, a German ace who flew an Me 262, one of the first jets. He led Kommando Nowotny, a squadron based at Achmer airfield, in the vicinity of Osnabruck. It was tasked with intercepting the late-war daylight raids by the US 8th Airforce. Nowotny crashed at Achmer, thought to have been shot down in clouds above the airfield. He was severely burned and died of his wounds in the Osnabruck hospital.

Achmer is close by the canal and was cleared of buildings and runways early post war. It became Training Area A, well used by the Osnabruck garrison. There is a memorial beside the road running past which records the airfield's use by the Luftwaffe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Reading . . .   

Back to top Go down
 
Reading . . .
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Tea Leaf Reading
» How or why did you become a student of hand reading?
» Iraqi parliament lifted its second reading after a general amnesty and further discuss the budget
» Hearing & Reading Same Unusual Word simultaneously
» I Had a Mediumship Reading Today

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: