BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 62 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 62 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Wedding related.

Go down 
+13
pinky
cartav
steve jones
gingerjim
Stephen Lock
Hardrations
jimsigs1
john mcmillan
"john boy"
Teabag
Shelldrake
woody
brum
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Wedding related. - Page 4 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Wedding related. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/6/2011, 20:32

gingerjim wrote:
if they did not use bromide, what the hell was that thick brown scum floating on top of the tea urn that i saw in every cookhouse i went into , and please no reference to gordon brown ,he was to fat to float in our tea urns, any way the authorities had no need to use bromide , to dampen the amour of the lads, they sold watneys warm brown ale in the naafi , that did more than bromide ever could, ginger

How many times you called a cook a W******? think a about it Ginger (it wasn't scum) if you call cooky W***** suffer the inevitable affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/6/2011, 20:41

Teabag wrote:
Gordon. wrote:
Does the wife know about the one or two others Teabag?????????or are you leaving yourself open to blackmail??/ Embarassed

Oh Sh*t! Embarassed

You'll be catching that Ferry across the Mersey if your Mrs finds out . Now guys don't be giving TB a hard time he was on military operation at the time, and we have all signed the official secret act . So lets here no more about blackmail lets just keep it in the family Suspect lol! Now wheres my £50,000 TB
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/6/2011, 23:09

What's all this depravity, putting Bromide in the men's tea to stop them thinking of women ?

Pshaaw ! I say, as well as Haarrumph ! In my day we didn't need chemicals.

The Five Fingered Widow, that's all we had to take our minds of things, dammit !

Never did me any harm, (apart from going blind, a muscular right arm and hairy palms that is).

monkey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/6/2011, 23:46

At least there was no chance of a STD with that Brum...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 02:33

JohnBoy..well you and the other ACC 'cooks' sorry 'Chefs' must have put ye olde Bromide in the pea soup then at my Army Apprentice School back in 63. Because we were a quiet lot.
But then we were RE/RAOC gentlemen. Not infantry types.

affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 08:37

It would take a hell of a lot of Bromide to calm down 600 ,or thereabouts, teenage boys. Embarassed

Last edited by Gordon. on 17/6/2011, 09:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 09:04

Gordon. wrote:
It would take a hell of a lot of Bromide to calm down 600 ,or thereabouts, teanage boys. Embarassed

I heard the ACC used the Bromide in the 44 gallon drums for the young soldiers. affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 09:43

Quote :
heard the ACC used the Bromide in the 44 gallon drums for the young soldiers.

This was because of the shortage of young (and not so young ) girls.They did`t want the virile young lads grabbing what was on offer lol!
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 10:04

"john boy" wrote:
Teabag wrote:
Gordon. wrote:
Does the wife know about the one or two others Teabag?????????or are you leaving yourself open to blackmail??/ Embarassed

Oh Sh*t! Embarassed

You'll be catching that Ferry across the Mersey if your Mrs finds out . Now guys don't be giving TB a hard time he was on military operation at the time, and we have all signed the official secret act . So lets here no more about blackmail lets just keep it in the family Suspect lol! Now wheres my £50,000 TB

Think you had better tell her! 50 grand, blimey where do you think I live?
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 10:47

Teabag wrote:
"john boy" wrote:
Teabag wrote:
Gordon. wrote:

Oh Sh*t! Embarassed

Think you had better tell her! 50 grand, blimey where do you think I live?

OK settle for £50.00 cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 19:02

john boy, i would never call the cook a w--------r, slopjockey yes but never w-------r. in the 50s if you started upsetting the cookhouse staff , you usally ended up doing cookhouse fatigues, and getting the lumpy remains of the porrage pot, did you ever crush up a few sacks of hard tack biscuits to make the porrage if you ran out of oats, its just not the same, lumpy porrage wot breaks your teeth , one day i might tell you of the viersen christmas cake saga. ginger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 19:45

Come Jim ...You can`t leave it at that...Tell all...
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime18/6/2011, 11:01

gingerjim wrote:
john boy, i would never call the cook a w--------r, slopjockey yes but never w-------r. in the 50s if you started upsetting the cookhouse staff , you usally ended up doing cookhouse fatigues, and getting the lumpy remains of the porrage pot, did you ever crush up a few sacks of hard tack biscuits to make the porrage if you ran out of oats, its just not the same, lumpy porrage wot breaks your teeth , one day i might tell you of the viersen christmas cake saga. ginger

OH do tell, do tell tongue lol!
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime18/6/2011, 19:42

our cook cpl christmas 57. decided to make the lads a christmas cake, he knocked up a half decent fruit cake but then came the snag , no icing sugar of any kind in the cookhouse, he decided to make his own icing , he had a couple of drums of the old army margerine, you know the muck that doubled as axel grease, he put the marge in a big tin bowl and stirred it until it was plyable, he then added a tin of pink coloured stuff he got from the civilian canteen , he actually covered the fruit cake with this mixture and lo and behold , he had a pink christmas cake, it really looked great , but as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating, YUUUUUK it really tasted disgusting , no matter how many pints of tea you drunk from the tea urn you could not get rid of the greasy muck from your mouth, mind you it had to be 10 out of 10 for trying , and he made it look good, but hells bells that margerine was bad enough on bread , just imagine pink icing , yuk, ginger
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime18/6/2011, 21:56

gingerjim wrote:
our cook cpl christmas 57. decided to make the lads a christmas cake, he knocked up a half decent fruit cake but then came the snag , no icing sugar of any kind in the cookhouse, he decided to make his own icing , he had a couple of drums of the old army margerine, you know the muck that doubled as axel grease, he put the marge in a big tin bowl and stirred it until it was plyable, he then added a tin of pink coloured stuff he got from the civilian canteen , he actually covered the fruit cake with this mixture and lo and behold , he had a pink christmas cake, it really looked great , but as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating, YUUUUUK it really tasted disgusting , no matter how many pints of tea you drunk from the tea urn you could not get rid of the greasy muck from your mouth, mind you it had to be 10 out of 10 for trying , and he made it look good, but hells bells that margerine was bad enough on bread , just imagine pink icing , yuk, ginger

I am surprised that he wasn't hung,drawn,& quartered by you guys . Evil or Very Mad lol! Going back to the bit about porridge (crushed hard tack biscuits) no I did not but crushed oatmeal blocks worked wonders Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 11:13

Quote :
I did not but crushed oatmeal blocks worked wonders

They were best eaten in the original condition...I quite liked them..
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 11:16

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
I did not but crushed oatmeal blocks worked wonders

They were best eaten in the original condition...I quite liked them..

I wonder if you could still get said oatmeal blocks? scratch lol!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 12:01

errr. . . . only on this site could conversations wander from a royal wedding to oatmeal blocks !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 12:47

That`s what it is all about Brum Continuity

Royal Wedding
Prince Harry
Army
Compo
Oatmeal blocks

Logical or not??? confused confused
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 18:50

Can't see a problem with that myself, anyone know of anyone who had a Wedding Cake made from Oatmeal blocks? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 19:03

Returning to the bromide thread for a bit....

I hadn't heard of the use of bromide to curtail the, shall we say, libido of soldiers but I have heard of the use of saltpeter. When I was attending Cornwall in Dortmund, which had a boarding school as well (although I was a day student), it was heavily rumoured saltpeter was put into the school lunches. Gawd, something had to be put in to them! Vile concoctions, they were!!!

Now, I have no idea if saltpeter has a taste to it or, if it does, what it tastes like (I don't imagine salt...or pet....oh , never mind....), and this was the early 70's after all when such widespread what we would see as abuse now of a population was just more or less accepted. Not really "abuse" per se....more an invasion of privacy/autonomy. What would it matter? We were all just school kids!!!

Whether or not it was used on us, who knows? That it may have been used on soldiers....to of course keep them in line and save the military from the embarrassment of bastard children and outraged families demanding compensation for said bastards, maybe......
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 19:16

what were oatmeal blocks ?, never had them . ginger
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 19:44

gingerjim wrote:

Oh you must have !

Came in tins in the compo, couple of inches wide, half an inch thick, brown and crumbly.

It was mentioned earlier that you could make porridge out of them, (so it said in the compo instructions), I suppose you could if you had the time and patience !

Apparently they're very good at linking with royal weddings.
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 20:38

gingerjim wrote:

Cross between a flapjack and a digestive de...lish...ous Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime20/6/2011, 06:51

gingerjim wrote:

Used by the "Wedgies" for building fings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wedding related.   Wedding related. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wedding related.
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next