BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Chicken

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   7/6/2011, 17:37

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Woolworths?

How come you got Woolworths and we aint??/

We have

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/?aff=google&affsrc=retention&cm_mmc=google-_-Woolworths%20Mispells-_-Woolworth%20Broad-_-woolworth%20uk%20Broad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
recce83
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 201
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   7/6/2011, 18:06

Gordon wrote:
I read rather an interesting article yesterday.Briefly,,it said that if you drink iced water the body burns aprox 33 calories heating it to 27 degrees
If we apply this principle to BEER,then i reckon drinking cold beer is a good supplement for weight loss..The trial begins to day (quote)

In the interests of accurate scientific study, I think it only right that I also volunteer my somewhat deteriorated body to the pursuit of this most arduous and unselfish experiment; not for me personally, but for the good of humankind. Any other brave souls out there who wish to participate?

On another note, the sharp observers among you may have noticed I've suffered a reduction in rank from captain back to WO1. Did I inadvertently pick up the wrong fork or spoon at Prince William's dinner party?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   7/6/2011, 18:17

Recce for best results put bottle of beer in freezerfor 1-1.5hr rinse pint glass do not dry put straight in freezer also Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   7/6/2011, 18:20

Quote :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gordon. wrote:
Quote:
Woolworths?

We have

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/?aff=google&affsrc=retention&cm_mmc=google-_-Woolworths%20Mispells-_-Woolworth%20Broad-_-woolworth%20uk

An online Woolies???Where did that come from???
Back to top Go down
recce83
Capt
Capt

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   7/6/2011, 19:01

"john boy" wrote:
Recce for best results put bottle of beer in freezerfor 1-1.5hr rinse pint glass do not dry put straight in freezer also Very Happy

Way ahead of you, mate!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   7/6/2011, 19:53

recce83 wrote:
"john boy" wrote:

Way ahead of you, mate!

OK drunken lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   7/6/2011, 20:30

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gordon. wrote:
Quote:
Woolworths?

We have

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/?aff=google&affsrc=retention&cm_mmc=google-_-Woolworths%20Mispells-_-Woolworth%20Broad-_-woolworth%20uk

An online Woolies???Where did that come from???

Been going a number of years Gordon. Not sure if it has anything to do with the original but it is ironic that the demise of the street Woolies came about simply because they never modernised and started internet sales whilst the competitors embraced the concept.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   8/6/2011, 05:14

Yes, we have Woolworths supermarkets everywhere, even two in our town of 20,000 people, 4 hrs south of Sydney. They also sell booze (and bratwurst.) No relation to ye olde UK FW Woolworths stores, which I belive stopped trading a few years ago.

www.woolworths.com.au
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   8/6/2011, 05:20

"john boy" wrote:

By jove I thought you British Chaps drank your beer at room temperature, beer in the freezer, glass in the freezer, that is what we Aussies do, so our tonsils get frozen like the lager. But not at the moment, mid winter, cold nights of 5 degrees C, but nice and sunny today, 18 degrees C. Probably warmer than it is in UK at the moment, checking your weather this morning. What a Face

I am still walking around the golf course in ye olde shorts, rarely wear long 'uns.

ANY OF YOU BLOKES EVER BEEN TO OZ FOR A VISIT? ONLY A 24 HR FLIGHT. Sleep sunny

'Remember..Adventure before Dementia.'
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   8/6/2011, 11:34

Beachley Boy wrote:
"john boy" wrote:

By jove I thought you British Chaps drank your beer at room temperature, beer in the freezer, glass in the freezer, that is what we Aussies do, so our tonsils get frozen like the lager. But not at the moment, mid winter, cold nights of 5 degrees C, but nice and sunny today, 18 degrees C. Probably warmer than it is in UK at the moment, checking your weather this morning. What a Face

I am still walking around the golf course in ye olde shorts, rarely wear long 'uns.

Hey lads we are all invited to stay at Beachley Boys house! Golf clubs optional. (silly game). Cool

P.S. We discovered cold beer a couple of years back. Personally still prefer real ale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
recce83
Capt
Capt

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   8/6/2011, 17:05

Actually Beachley Boy's observation crossed my mind (not golf - beer). I was a bit surprised that cold beer is to be found in the UK. I do remember being in a pub in Liverpool in 1964 and seeing a bunch of young people having ice cubes added to their lager.

Here in Canada they can't seem to get it quite right. While there's nothing like an ice-cold lager in a frosty glass in mid-summer, especially here in the semi-arid Okanagan Valley, most pubs insist on serving an otherwise good quality ale in the same frosty mug which in my opinion spoils it. I still hold to the tried and true cellar temperature pint of bitter.

I'm thirsty...where's my tankard?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   8/6/2011, 17:44

[quote="recce83"]Actually Beachley Boy's observation crossed my mind (not golf - beer). I was a bit surprised that cold beer is to be found in the UK. I do remember being in a pub in Liverpool in 1964 and seeing a bunch of young people having ice cubes added to their lager.

Of course we get cold beer here !

We've got central heating, colour telly, 'fridges all sorts of modern wonders.

We even watch Yank TV programmes without sub tiles ! Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   8/6/2011, 18:56

[quote="brum"]
recce83 wrote:
Actually Beachley Boy's observation crossed my mind (not golf - beer). I was a bit surprised that cold beer is to be found in the UK. I do remember being in a pub in Liverpool in 1964 and seeing a bunch of young people having ice cubes added to their lager.

No subtitles??? My lord, you lot have advanced!!! Between English English, Scots English, Welsh English, Irish English, Canadian English, Australian English (well...Austrayhlian, actually), and (gawd!) American English, it's a wonder any of us can communicate!!

I admit to some bewilderment, even when reading some of the posts here. I see the words, recognize them, and have no idea what the hell is being written. Watch the odd (very odd!!) Brit com now and then and do find most of them comprehensible but if we get into local dialect stuff, I'm lost!

Then, of course, here in Canada we get far too much American stuff filtering through....to the point now where someone will look at my name tag ("Stephen") and insist on calling me Stefan... drives me nuts. You see, somewhere along the line the Americans, for whatever reason, named their sons "Steven" rather than "Stephen" (although they're actually two different names...different meanings, albeit similar ones...."Stephen" means "Crowned One" or some such thing. "Steven" is something else). Despite our Prime Minister being named Stephen Harper and nobody refers to him as "Stefan Harper", people don't seem to get it IT'S THE SAME NAME!! Of course, I also had a young Filipina, dumb as a post, who used to call me Step Hen and it took me a while to figure that one out. I thought it was an accent issue, not able to do the "f" sound very well. Nope. She read "Stephen" and divvied it up into Step Hen. When I told her it was pronounced "Steeven", just like the Prime Minister, I got a blank look. "I don't even know who that is!" she said....after being in this country for over a decade, easily, and totally fluent in English!!!! Lord help us.....

But that's not the worst of it. In the neighbourhood I work in, a upper working class neighbourhood I suppose....looks nice, very middle class and all, but most families are blue collar....if they have anyone gainfully employed at all!....it is quite ethnically-mixed; lots of Chinese, several Africans, tons of Middle Eastern/Iranian/with a sprinkling of South Asian,both East Indian and Pakistani.

The teenagers of especially the African and Mid-East families have, unfortunately in my estimation, adopted Innercity, Black American "ebonics" as their way to express themselves and dress. More gang than anything. Lots of "Hey, Yo, dawg!! Wassup, dude....yo, yo' Mama's a bee-atch!!!" Blech! Half the time I have no idea what the hell they are saying....not just the words, what adult knows what teenagers are saying? ....it's the accent, for lack of a better word, the affectation of 'gang slang'.

Now, this in and of itself is not that big a deal. What makes it kind of a deal for me is that it's NOT US. Despite appearances, there is a difference between American culture (good, bad, or indifferent) and Canadian culture (ditto) and it bugs me to have such a strong -- and in this case negative -- influence seeping in. But there's not much one can do about it and you just have to roll with it....sigh....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   8/6/2011, 19:24

Teabag wrote:
Beachley Boy wrote:
"john boy" wrote:

Hey lads we are all invited to stay at Beachley Boys house! Golf clubs optional. (silly game). Cool

P.S. We discovered cold beer a couple of years back. Personally still prefer real ale.

If the good Aussie fella would be good enough to give his map Ref we could goggle his house on the goggle map. I must say Bateman bay looks beautiful on goggle earth "the jammy buggar" cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   9/6/2011, 10:15

Live in Catalina, suburb of of Batemans Bay. 1 km from the beach if you check google. I don't mind letting you blokes know where I live, not like you are going to send in some incoming rounds or anything.

Yes, paradise down here. And the beer is cold at my golf club. Trouble is as I am a coeliac, I drink Cider, we have to drink the bottled Strongbow stuff.

Last edited by Beachley Boy on 9/6/2011, 23:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   9/6/2011, 10:23

As for cold beer, I remember when I left UK in 66, Harp Lager was about the only cold brew, I was last in UK, 2004 and there was Cold Fosters, Kronenburg, Stella and a few more coldies available.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   10/6/2011, 00:03

much as I enjoy a cold beer, i do so miss a nice pint of Theakstons or similar. ill be in UK in September, two things, a pint and a meat and potatoe pie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   10/6/2011, 10:04

[quote="brum"]
recce83 wrote:

Stage coach, don't forget the stage coach. We have baths too. You have to have somewhere to keep the coal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   10/6/2011, 10:14

You still got coal down there Teabag Question Hell i thought we were still in the dark ages. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   10/6/2011, 16:43

Gordon. wrote:
You still got coal down there Teabag Question Hell i thought we were still in the dark ages. Laughing

Yeh but we don't use it, just keep it in the bath. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   10/6/2011, 17:22

I bet its washed and painted white as well!

Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   10/6/2011, 18:08

Speaking of keeping the coal in the bath tub....

I am reminded of a story one of our German friends once told us. She and her family were originally from Erfurt, in then East Germany but escaped to the West in the late 50s.

Before that, shortly after the war if memory serves, they had Russian officers and soldiers "billeted" with them.

One day, the officer confronted them, waving his pistol and demanding they return his potatoes they had stolen. Now, Frau Becher was a genteel lady and would never steal anything, let alone a Russian officer's potatoes!!

No, he insisted, they are in the basement and he wanted them back!

During the course of this rather heated discussion he revealed he had been washing them in the white basin and, when he pulled the chain, his potatoes had disappeared down some sort of chute into the basement, he assumed.

Turned out he had been washing them in the toilet (ugh!) and, never having seen such a modern contraption, had no idea what it was or what the chain was for...he clearly saw them being swirled down and away so, of course, they had rigged the basin in order to steal his potatoes and stash them for their own use in the basement. I gather they were finally able to convince him his potatoes were lost forever in the town's sewage system and that they had not, in fact, stolen them. The poor man had never seen indoor plumbing!!!!

Last edited by Stephen Lock on 14/6/2011, 18:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   10/6/2011, 19:48

i heard the russians even used the bogs to wash and shave in , they were not used to running water, ginger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   11/6/2011, 21:26

Stephen Lock wrote:
Speaking of keeping the coal in the bath tub....

I gather they were finally able to convince him his potatoes were lost forever in the town's sewage system and that they had not, in fact, stolen them. The poor man had never seen indoor plumbing!!!!

I once read a similar story but this one entailed Russian women in Berlin washing fish in the cludgie and losing it all round the bend. Very Happy

When I lived in Dortmund-Gartenstadt my S/Sgt neighbour's wife told us that in her native East Prussia the Germans were persecuted by the local Poles.

If they demanded something and the German refused to hand it over, the Pole would fetch a Russian soldier who would just take it from them anyway.

Nice girl, she used to drink Metaxa (remember that ?).

drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   12/6/2011, 04:54

Talking about the Eastern Bloc. They suffered. In 2003 we did a Trafalgar Coach Tour, starting in Frankfurt, to Berlin, Krakow, Warsaw, Prague, Budapest. The Ruskis spent bugger all in those places post war. Buildings still damaged, they still had the loud speakers all over each town where every day the propaganda announcements would be broadcast - complusory attendance. Even in 2003, not mch money in the old Eastern Bloc.

We visited Auschwitz, the Salt Mines, Check Point Charlie, memorable and an impact.

Just my two bobs worth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chicken   Today at 05:43

Back to top Go down

Chicken
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next