BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Army numbers

Go down 
+23
alan g
Dee Z
tiny
Wilf
Les Pattenden
Phlegmwahn
KEITH DOWNES
Shelldrake
EdBoyle
steve jones
jimsigs1
mjm34
burgess720
gingerjim
Dolmetscher
Mike_2817
brum
steve
"john boy"
cartav
Teabag
BobG
ciphers
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Army numbers - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime25/5/2013, 21:58

cartav wrote:
brum wrote:

Bloody hell Yorkie, how do you remember all that stuff ?

We look after t'brass, tha knows up 'ere ! Dunno why it sticks in the mind
Brum......... It always niggled that we had to pay National Insurance when the Army had their own medical set up. I do remember one mate had a good way to extend his income..... he'd go round each of the rooms in the billet scrounging a 10pfg coin for the trolley fare to Osnabruck. At 12 DM to the pound 10 pfg was nowt.. we threw coins at him to get rid of him and he scooped up enough for a night out. Don't know why I remember that either !

Irrespective of its value, my favourite German coin was the 5 mark stuck.
Strange that they also, running in parallel, had 5 mark "schein".
Sorry if I have the spelling wrong, (selbstmord is a possibility).

In my early, (50s), days, in Nienburg NAAFI, the girls behind the counter called a 10 pfennig piece a "groschen". They called us "Meckis", something to do with our haircuts and a popular German hedgehog cartoon character.
The girls were from Ost Preussen, but that's another can of worms.
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/5/2013, 06:21

brum wrote:

2351 meself.

Dolmetscher

In the days of BD, I remember that flash.

Brum. I think that was 12th Infantry Brigade Group flash. By the way, you can see that although I am 6 years older than you, I have a much later number. The reason is, I was a late enlistment (26) as I was working in the pits.

Last edited by Dolmetscher on 26/5/2013, 07:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/5/2013, 06:49

[quote="brum}

In my early, (50s), days, in Nienburg NAAFI, the girls behind the counter called a 10 pfennig piece a "groschen". They called us "Meckis", something to do with our haircuts and a popular German hedgehog cartoon character.
The girls were from Ost Preussen, but that's another can of worms.[/quote]

Do tell............ Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cliffo
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 97
Cap Badge : RASC
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Duisdurg, Cyprus - Platres, Nicosia
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/5/2013, 11:37

From the pits to the Pay Corps -- now that must be what is really meant by being 'upwardly mobile'!!! lol
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/5/2013, 12:38

abueloeddie wrote:
237.... double shovel, knife fork & spoon!:-)

Signed up July '59 for a man's life ( still looking for it!)

Odd event... last week I got a CC PIN sent for a new card.... it was my last 4 ( no you can't borrow it for the afternoon!)

My "first four", 2351.
I was quite surprised, just before my demob, when I had a bloke posted in with a "first four" of 2451.
Could there really have been a million men through the army from 1957 to 1980 ?
Back to top Go down
Cliffo
WOII
WOII

Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Duisdurg, Cyprus - Platres, Nicosia

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/5/2013, 14:04

Considering that some of your years were in the days of National Service, I would think
'yes' It's only an average of about 43000 per year a big turnover now but not then.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/5/2013, 14:15

Marching guys into MQs before retirement two years ago I recall the numbers were 263something, ex rankers retained their ORs number which I believe was to do with the new pay system, covered elsewhere on here.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime27/5/2013, 08:22

Cliffo wrote:
Considering that some of your years were in the days of National Service, I would think
'yes' It's only an average of about 43000 per year a big turnover now but not then.

In a note acquired some time ago from I don't know where, it's recorded that,during the days of NS, 6000 reluctant conscripts were snatched from their families twice a month. That figure is the total of entrants to all three services and, with probable breaks in the system for things like the Christmas period, that could top 130,000 a year.
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

Number of posts : 89
Cap Badge : QRIH/UDR
Places Served : NI, GB, BAOR
Registration date : 2013-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime27/5/2013, 12:55

What about TA numbers. Do they come from the same batches or are they different? I've not had any TA experience so have no clue.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime27/5/2013, 16:10

Hussar100 wrote:
What about TA numbers. Do they come from the same batches or are they different? I've not had any TA experience so have no clue.

If you scroll back through this thread, which goes back a couple of years, you'll see that numbers were, indeed, in batches......... Don't know about TA, except that ex NS & Regs kept their old numbers and I suspect that anyone with no previous service was issued with something from a batch allocated to Reserve Army.

In NS, when the first thing you asked a newcomer was "How long have you got to do?" there was great glee to discover his number placed him well down in the pecking order and he was less fortunate than anyone else. Strange thing was that Regs, who joined at the same time, had bigger numbers which confused things and showed these must have been taken from a different batch. That seems to indicate that there could be numbers in a batch which were never allocated to anybody and subtracting an early number from a recent one doesn't necessarily tell how many men were taken on board in the intervening period.
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime27/5/2013, 16:16

cartav wrote:
Hussar100 wrote:

If you scroll back through this thread, which goes back a couple of years, you'll see that numbers were, indeed, in batches......... Don't know about TA, except that ex NS & Regs kept their old numbers and I suspect that anyone with no previous service was issued with something from a batch allocated to Reserve Army.

In NS, when the first thing you asked a newcomer was "How long have you got to do?" there was great glee to discover his number placed him well down in the pecking order and he was less fortunate than anyone else. Strange thing was that Regs, who joined at the same time, had bigger numbers which confused things and showed these must have been taken from a different batch. That seems to indicate that there could be numbers in a batch which were never allocated to anybody and subtracting an early number from a recent one doesn't necessarily tell how many men were taken on board in the intervening period.

Yes I can see what you mean. I know for a fact that in my time numbers were issued in area batches for regulars. It just crossed my mind that TA (and indeed Ulster Defence Regiment) numbers could either be from the same batches or have their own separate numbers.
Back to top Go down
Cliffo
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime27/5/2013, 18:06

In the National Service strange code of reckoning, it didn' matter if someone had an extra stripe or two, if he had a higher number he was a sprog and therefore somewhat inferior!!!
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime27/5/2013, 18:10

'Twas the same in my day chum. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Army numbers   Army numbers - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Army numbers
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7