BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 59 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 59 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

How the Russians lived.

Go down 
+6
Stephen Lock
Goldmohur
jimsigs1
Ulli
Shelldrake
cleat9214
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How the Russians lived.   How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/7/2011, 14:06

Just what I thought Stephen when I saw the pictures of the Russian Barracks, I was too lazy to make the observation as I thought no one would agree.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: How the Russians lived.   How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/7/2011, 16:52

I was speaking with a Quartermaster at the RAMC Depot in Mytchett who was involved with the handover of BMH Rinteln. Apparently when they handed over the Officers Mess, the guy from the Stadt had an Inventory of the place when it was taken over by the Brits, and he was wanting to know where the Grand Piano was! True or not........not sure?
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : UK (Nuneaton/Barnard Castle/Larkhill/Bulford), Germany (Gutersloh/Lubbecke).Then worked as Civvy for Army.
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: How the Russians lived.   How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/7/2011, 19:14

Quote :
Apparently when they handed over the Officers Mess, the guy from the Stadt had an Inventory of the place when it was taken over by the Brits, and he was wanting to know where the Grand Piano was! True or not........not sure?

Almost certainly true!
I handed back the Officers Mess 1 (BR) Corps/ARRC in Bielefeld in 1993. The Rep from the Federal Assets Agency (Bundesvemorgensamt) attended with an Inventory of what was present in the mid-50s. It was longer than any list I had ever seen (antiques/chattels/paintings etc etc), of course nothing was left from that time. It was then a matter for Defence Lands to negotiate the lowering of any claim against the Forces by trading off what we had added to the original property. They were however extremely pleased with the standard of the properties we were handing back - at that time they were also heavily involved in taking back the former Soviet Barracks in the East (which as you know were attrocious). It was standard procedure for us to ensure all repairs were carried out (including broken windows/locks etc) and even weeded the areas. The Soviets just 'upped and went' leaving heavily-polluted areas behind. The Germans had very little concerns with the Barracks we handed back.
When I handed back Ripon Barracks, they were so pleased with our Standards that they wanted to avoid any potential vandalism. They immediately installed Security Guards with CCTV to overlook it (I left some old beds/chairs/tables in the Guardroom so they were comfy).
Back to top Go down
http://www.football-linx.com/
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How the Russians lived.   How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/7/2011, 09:54

I was thinking of Glamorgan Barracks Duisburg, now demolished I think. But the last pictures I saw, on this site, showed it looking very dilapidated and overgrown.
In my time there it was buzzing and very well kept up and, for a barracks, certainly compared with the Victorian slum barracks in UK from whence we came, pleasant to live in.
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How the Russians lived.   How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/7/2011, 11:31

I was with FRG at 12Inf Wksp in Mercer Bks. in the mid '60's and had the opportunity to revisit Mercer in June this year, not in the same condition as the 'Ruskie' barracks but sad condition never the less.
Mercer/Imphal Bks June 2011
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: How the Russians lived.   How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/7/2011, 13:00

Interesting to see the Russians leaving Grimma. I went through that place in 1994 and we stopped outside that barracks. It was derelict and covered in Russian graffiti. Grimma was well named because it was grim. I'm sure it is much changed these days.
Back to top Go down
Chaz
Sgt
Sgt
Chaz

Number of posts : 20
Cap Badge : RE
Places Served : Hameln,Chatham, Berlin, Maidstone, Munchengladbach, Conninsby, Hermitage (with the obligatory tours all over the world)
Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How the Russians lived.   How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 16:17

I was in Berlin between 92 and 95 doing maintenance at RAF Gatow initially then handing over the Barracks and MQ.

When we left the MQ and moved into Edinburgh House before the dependants were shipped to our next postings (we were moved out early due to East Germans trying to gain access and with to few personnel living on the estates to ensure safety of wives and kids), the Stadt was very happy to just take over the MQ whether clean or not, furnished or not.

We spent some time with the Russian Forces in their Barracks while we were removing sections of the wall and they were stripping buildings of all fittings and removing MT Sheds (wriggly tin and steel frame types) for their barracks they were going to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How the Russians lived.   How the Russians lived. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How the Russians lived.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2