BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 59 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 59 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien

Go down 
+5
brum
mjm34
alan8376
JPW
Bairdli
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bairdli
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Empty
PostSubject: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 12:21

Hi there
I was wondering if anyone could help me. My Dad was in the RASC and was based in Schleswig Holstien between 1950 - 1970's. I was wondering if anyone would know the name of the Barracks or the exact location. Iam going to Schleswig in September and wouldnt mind seeing where my Dad was based - I know the barracks may not be there anymore but I would like to see where they were. My Dad always said it was a beautiful place.
Sorry I dont have any more information.
My Dad - Rodney Bain was a Seargent Major from Alloa if any one rembers him, it would be great to hear from you.
Any information will be gratfully received.
Many thanks for looking Very Happy

Liz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 12:25

Welcome to the site Liz..I`m sure one of our resident experts will be able to help you..
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 14:48

Liz Welcome

I am one of the "resident experts" on Schleswig Holstein as I was at school in Ploen in the 1950s, in what I agree is one of the more beautiful areas of Germany

Without knowing the exact name of your father's unit it is difficult to suggest an exact location but by 1950 the British Army presence in Schleswig Holstein (outside of Hamburg)was very small, concentrated in the Neumunster, Schleswig and Kiel area. If he served there in the 1960s it must have been a posting linked to the BAOR Adventurous Training (Sailing) Centre based in Kiel.

Do come back if you want more information (It would be useful if someone in your family could remember what your father's military trade was). The RASC had a wide range of military responsibilities. The combination of his rank with trade (eg clerk, catering or transport) might further narrow options.
Back to top Go down
Bairdli
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 21:07

Hi there, Thanks for your quick response. The only other information I have is a card with RASC on it with date 30th Aug 1950, which also has his Army number on it. There is a part which says rank but I cant make out exactly what it says, it looks like Div (hope this means something to someone). I also know he was with the transport corps and drove Ducks, which I have photos of.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 21:22

Liz

His rank would have been Driver (abreviated to Dvr). This suggests your father was with a RASC Transport Unit in 1950. I think therefore he was based in either Neumunster or Kiel. There was no significant British presence in Schleswig then.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 11:00

Liz

An afterthought, you mentioned DUKWs. This suggests your father might have been based at or attached to the Amphibious Warfare Training Centre based at Eckernforde just to the north of Kiel. Details of the unit are scare unfortunately

Secondly I believe you are now authorised to obtain a copy of your father's service record including the units he served in. Your local branch of the Royal British Legion could help you apply and it might provide some additional background information on exactly where your father served
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 11:28

Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 12:29

Alan

Thanks your the info , will add it to my data bank of British units in Schleswig Holstein. It will be interesting to find out who commanded it, HQ BAOR or HQ RN(G)
Back to top Go down
Bairdli
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 17:24

Hi again
Thanks for all your help this, its very exciting Smile I did request my Fathers service records at the begining of June and have since been advised that it may take between 6 - 9 months before I receive any information. The infomatiion about Eckernforde sounds hopefull. I will post some photos later on which some one might recognise.
Thanks again Liz
Back to top Go down
Bairdli
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime10/8/2011, 20:16

Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien 111img16
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien 111img17
Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien 111img18
Hi Again
I have attached a few photos that I thought might help me with my search and also bring back some memories for some of you.
There are 2 photos of DUKW's that my Dad used to drive/pilot. The group photo shows my Dad - looking at the photo he is in the front row on the left hand side of the barrell. I dont know where or when this photo was taken but do hope that someone might be able to help me. I am most gratefull for any information that anyone might have - no matter how small. Cheers Liz
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime10/8/2011, 21:54

The group photo looks like it was taken in UK judging by the wooden buildings in the background.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime10/8/2011, 22:00

If I might put my two penn'orth in !

I notice that in the group photo everyone is wearing Number 2 dress and there is a Land Rover behind them.

Could it be that the date on the card mentioned earlier was in fact 1960 ?

No 2 dress didn't come in till around '62-'63 generally and Land Rovers a little after that.

(The vehicle leaving the LCT isn't a DUKW by the way).

Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime10/8/2011, 22:09

brum wrote:

If I might put my two penn'orth in !

I notice that in the group photo everyone is wearing Number 2 dress and there is a Land Rover behind them.

Could it be that the date on the card mentioned earlier was in fact 1960 ?

No 2 dress didn't come in till around '62-'63 generally and Land Rovers a little after that.

(The vehicle leaving the LCT isn't a DUKW by the way).

Well spotted Brum, on all counts. Actually the date is probably even later. Note the motorcycle registration 74ET09. The ET series were issued to B vehicles from 1966 onwards.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime10/8/2011, 22:45

Your cooking with gas to-night Brum.I didn`t think it was a DUKW either.The only time i saw them was as a small child at the end of the war and my memory tells me they didn`t look like that..However that`s over 60 years ago, so i could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime11/8/2011, 07:19

Liz

Thank you for the photos

Like the previous contributors I am uncertain on the date/location

1. Your father is wearing a Staff Sergeants Crown and Stripes on his then very new No2 Dress. I would suggest therefore the photo was taken in the mid 60s.

2 The white paint suggests the vehicle emerging from the Landing Ship/Craft was a trials vehicle it definitely not a wartime DUKW..

3.Regarding location I cannot be certain but I am pretty certain that the Eckernforde unit had closed by the mid 60s and all Amphibious military trials were carried out in the UK. Agree with mjm that the wooden buildings are the uk design, those built in BAOR were to a differnet style. I suggest therefore that the location is Instow near Barnstaple in Devon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime11/8/2011, 08:08

A WW2 DUKW

Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien 300px-DUKW_image2_army
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime11/8/2011, 09:34

Liz`s pic is a LARC-V (Lighter, Amphibious Re-Supply Cargo, 5-Ton (LARC-V))

Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime11/8/2011, 09:48

I knew that! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime11/8/2011, 12:32

I didn't!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime11/8/2011, 12:56

Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime11/8/2011, 17:17

The group photo could have been taken at Fremington Camp, Instow, N Devon, the home of 18 (Amphibious) Sqn RCT equiped with DUKWs. The Sqn was formed at Fremington Camp in 1958 and remained there until it moved to Marchwood in 1971, it was disbanded in 1974. The other Units at Instow were - Fording Trials Branch REME (FTB), where I spent some six months carrying out waterproofing tials on the Midge Drone in 1968 after flight trials in the USA and Canada, and the RM Amphibious Traing Unit. At that time FTB had 2 DUKWS as support vehs for the diving teams, and the RM had a DUKW and a LARC. The LARC was trialed by the RCT but because it was larger than a DUKW, both length and width, it was unsuitable for road use, OK for ship to shore operation over an open beach and cross loading to conventional road transport.

The other pictures certainly show a LARC exiting an LCT. As to the other veh, it is tracked and I dont recognise lt, have to do some research.

Bob
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime11/8/2011, 19:47

Is it not a tracked landing craft of some sort Bob??
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime12/8/2011, 12:33

Gordon. wrote:
Is it not a tracked landing craft of some sort Bob??

Looks like a Buffalo LVT or a development of it.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime12/8/2011, 13:07

That takes me back, a guy that I served with in Lippstadt in '64 had previously served with the Black Watch during WW2. He used to reminisce that he was "The first man over the Rhine in the back of a Buffalo", hadn't a clue what he was talking about until now! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime12/8/2011, 14:43

Yes it is a Landing Vehicle Tracked (LVT). I believe it is a more recent version of the LVT 3(C) Bushmaster than that shown in the link, the one Shelldrake is refering to is the LVT 2 Water Buffalo. Follow the links below and compare with original one posted exiting an LCT, this is deffinitely a trials veh, see Reg No, probably from Bovington - looks like RAC and MOD flashes on the front. I do not believe it ever entered service. If you are interested in the latest vesion of the LTV - the Amphibious Assault Vehicle, in service with the US Marines google AAVP7A1.

LVT 2 Water Buffalo [a]http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/tanks/tanks-k-l/25715/view/lvt-2_water_buffalo_amtrac/[a/]

An early LVT 3 Bushmaster[a]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfwFatbeHJM[a/]

Last edited by BobG on 12/8/2011, 15:42; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien   Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Location of RASC Barracks in Schleswig Holstien
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next