BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Trying to identify a likely lad!
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitimeToday at 11:36 by SarahN

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 44 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 44 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

AUSCHWITZ

Go down 
+11
Steve.L
Locator
Wilf
Hardrations
ciphers
dandc
JPW
brum
pinky
Stephen Lock
Teabag
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime18/9/2011, 05:20

In 2003 I did a coach tour of Eastern Europe, amongst other places were were in the Krakow, Poland area, so we visited the infamous concentration camps, Auschwitz 1 and 2, Very moving and memorable. Anybody else been there ?

I was told ALL German high school kids have to visit a concentration camp as part of their schooling, so as they will remember what their forefathers did.

No doubt the Ruskis liberated Auschwitz. Shocked
Back to top Go down

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime18/9/2011, 07:27

I`d rather forget about those camps,but alas it is not possible.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime18/9/2011, 08:07

Gordon. wrote:

No one should be allowed to forget and we should do the same with our school kids so they don't end up denying it happened like some of the idiots you see belonging to right wing groups.

Yes the Russians did liberate it.
Back to top Go down

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime18/9/2011, 10:59

Teabag wrote:
Gordon. wrote:

No one should be allowed to forget and we should do the same with our school kids so they don't end up denying it happened like some of the idiots you see belonging to right wing groups.

Yes the Russians did liberate it.

EXACTLY mate, LEST WE FORGET
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime21/9/2011, 18:42

We should never ever ever EVER forget. Unfortunately, we do -- constantly -- and similar genocides continue....Rwanda, Serbia, the former Yugoslavia, Kurdistan, etc. Camps too.

I never visited Auschwitz. We were going to but my mother flat out refused to agree to going. Not that she was anti-Semitic, far from it actually, but it was just too horrible a place and she couldn't deal with the idea of actually being there. I can't say I wished we had gone, sounds a bit too superficial, like it was some 'must see' tourist attraction, but I think it would have made an enormous impression, especially on a 17-year old youth such as I was at the time.

I was, of course, aware of Shoah (Holocaust) and became more aware of it as the years went by. I still don't know if I would want to visit one of the camps, though. There's a sense of it's my duty to do so if given the opportunity, but other than that....I'd really rather not. I'd like to go Yad Vashem, however but I doubt I will ever make it to Tel Aviv!
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 208
Cap Badge : 14th/20th Kings Hussars - KRH
Places Served : In BAOR : Hohne,Berlin and Munster.
Registration date : 2011-06-23

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime24/9/2011, 05:32

hi there,
i was stationed in hohne,so we visited bergan belsen, another place never to be forgotten in my memory
as for german kids having to visit........not true.
atb
pinky
Back to top Go down

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime24/9/2011, 07:21

Quote :

Read in our local rag to day.,that a couple of schools had just returned from visiting AUSCHWITZ.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime24/9/2011, 11:55

pinky wrote:
hi there,
i was stationed in hohne,so we visited bergan belsen, another place never to be forgotten in my memory
as for german kids having to visit........not true.
atb
pinky

I visited Belsen quite a lot, I used to be collared to show visitors around the place. (The Commonwealth War Cemetery at Becklingen too).

What used to infuriate people was the sight of jolly German families, sitting around, on the grass, picnicking.

I often wonder if they realised where they were.
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime24/9/2011, 12:22

We'll never know........funny lot ........the germans !!
did they bomb your 'chippy' lol.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime24/9/2011, 18:50

pinky wrote:
We'll never know........funny lot ........the germans !!
did they bomb your 'chippy' lol.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR

They bombed me dads house. He wasn't half annoyed!
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime25/9/2011, 05:21

I can imagine........plus them fokkers were real f--kers........lol
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime27/9/2011, 10:31

Walking inside the Gas Chambers at Auschwitz was really moving. To think, thousands died in there. And to see the rooms with hair, artificial legs, arms, glasses, teeth, suitcases all taken off the Jews, very disturbing.

Will be in my memory for ever.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime27/9/2011, 12:20

Brum

Worse still for me was when I visited the Commonwealth War Cemetry on the banks of the Kwai River in Thailand was the antics of Japanese teenagers pulling faces and photographing themselves dancing round the Cross of Sacrifice and individual British, Australian and Dutch graves when I visited about 15 years ago
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime27/9/2011, 13:03

hi there,
Japs are ignorant. Not met a good one ever.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime27/9/2011, 18:21

Worse still for me was when I visited the Commonwealth War Cemetry on the banks of the Kwai River in Thailand was the antics of Japanese teenagers pulling faces and photographing themselves dancing round the Cross of Sacrifice and individual British, Australian and Dutch graves when I visited about 15 years ago[/quote]

God, that's depressing.

I thought the little buggers were big on "respect". Maybe that's just to their own people. monkey
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime27/9/2011, 20:07

brum wrote:
Worse still for me was when I visited the Commonwealth War Cemetry on the banks of the Kwai River in Thailand was the antics of Japanese teenagers pulling faces and photographing themselves dancing round the Cross of Sacrifice and individual British, Australian and Dutch graves when I visited about 15 years ago

God, that's depressing.

I thought the little buggers were big on "respect". Maybe that's just to their own people. monkey [/quote]

Perhaps it is because unlike the Germans, the Japs have rewritten history and gloss over the atrocities their troops committed. A lot of people don't know or conveniently forget that they murdered plenty of Asian ciivilians as well as allied POW's. I blame the Yanks and especially Emperor MacArthur for not forcing them to acknowledge their guilt as the Germans were. I understand their history books are very sparse in regards to the war. Can't stand the buggers myself and that is only through reading about their evil deeds. We should have insisted that their emperor stood trial and put up against a wall and shot.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime27/9/2011, 20:14

i love the japs.i would give them a wave every week.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime28/9/2011, 00:18

Having spent some time there in the 50's I found the Japanese to be very polite and despite the language barrier they seemed eager to communicate and be friendly. I am not a Jap lover by any means, my uncle was one of the Chindits and was killed in March 1945 just outside Rangoon and I went there with a preconceived hatred for the Japanese, but it is similar to our acceptance of the Germans, many of our contributors accept them without a qualm, yet they were if not as bad as the Japs, possibly worse. I also went to Germany in 1952 with preconceive hatred of the Germans, having lost another uncle in March 1943 on HMS Harvester, torpedoed on convoy duty. But time heals many wounds and I made friends from former enemies.
I suspect the Japanese kids who were being arseholes at the Kachanaburi War Cemetery are the same type of yobs we now see all over the world, with no respect for anyone or anything.
The world has unfortunately changed, back in the 50's even though we had just gone through a tremendous social upheaval with the World War, the world was a gentler place and people were not as antagonistic as nowadays.
When I visited Kanchanaburi I also had to leave, it was the first War Cemetery I had ever been in and walking round the graves reading headstones I was stunned to realize that the majority of the men buried there were not killed in action, but died from ill treatment and starvation. Many of those camp guards were Korean conscripted by the Japs.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
pinky
Capt
Capt

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime28/9/2011, 04:37

Interesting...........I've seen the JAPS at Pearl Harbor and believe me there's lots of them visiting.
Our tour guide explained that most of them are not aware of the purpose of the visit to P.H. its just part of the holiday,so its all included !!
Hence due to ignorance (maybe) they don't seem too respectfull there either,one more thing our guide said that some that know about P.H. seem to gloat !!
Not nice..........
Pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime28/9/2011, 04:51

Saw Bergen Belsen a few times. What got my attention was all the disused rail heads between the Bergen and Belsen. Just imagining all the concentration inmates coming of the trains and being forced marched to the camp. I spoke to some elderly residents, they did not see a thing or know anything about the camp. I don't mind if people think I'm stupid, but then to try to prove it kind of set me off a bit. I liked Germany, I have many German friends, my father in law was WW 2 Veteran of the German army, I enjoy returning to Germany on holidays, but still to meet people who actually expected me to believe that hog wash. Incidentally the first Concentration Inmate survivor I meet, was a German, a member of the S.D.P.
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime28/9/2011, 09:36

Hi there,
I just remembered when I was stationed in Hohne in the early 80's living in MB7 there was an organised march from the railways sidings to the concentration camp.
I believe it may of been survivors and families and relatives and others to commemorate the liberation...........anyhow it was an extremely moving sight.
We were told if we wanted to look, to peep through curtains carefully and not to be seen.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime28/9/2011, 16:21

pinky wrote:
Hi there,
I just remembered when I was stationed in Hohne in the early 80's living in MB7 there was an organised march from the railways sidings to the concentration camp.
I believe it may of been survivors and families and relatives and others to commemorate the liberation...........anyhow it was an extremely moving sight.
We were told if we wanted to look, to peep through curtains carefully and not to be seen.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR

this is just my oppinion and will retire with tin hat on to await incoming.

the trouble with this country now is the willingness of people to bend over backwards to get shafted.since the germans and thier allies could not win the war in order to dominate the world and create "germania".they came up with the idea of the european union,low and behold nearly all the countries invaded by hitler are allowed to join [ all using the same currencies ] .i like many others could rant all day,[but your probably bored allready] the next time any of you visit any war cemetry any where in the world please do 2 things,1,if any ignorant race of people are missbehaving,find thier interprator and tell them how you feel,2,take any part of that cemetry,any row walk along and work out the average age of the service man burried there [you will be supprised] all those young lives seem wasted if all we do is nothing but give into europe.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime28/9/2011, 19:02

I agree with dandc about approaching a group's interpreter/guide and registering a complaint about disrespectful behaviour.

Not to excuse the behaviour, believing as I do that even if one has not been exposed to the history, after a certain age one should be able to figure it out that the site is not a site to cavort at but to be respectful, but if a generation of people have not learned what that site is or what meaning it holds or anything about their nation's role in a particular war etc. or have been fed purposeful misinformation, then it follows they will have no understanding or appreciation or insight.

of course, to my way of thinking, if one is in a cemetery, regardless of whether or not one has grown up believing in the Divine Right of the Emperor and how the evil West manipulated circumstances to bring dishonour to their nation or whatever it is they believe, it is still a cemetery filled with the remains of young men who fought and died for what they believed in, or because it was demanded of them, and apart from anything else (world politics, belief systems, etc) one should pay honour to those young men and respect their final resting place.

If I was to enter a Shinto shrine or go to the Ground Zero memorial at Hiroshima, no matter what my views about Shintoism (and during the war Shintoism was used very much as a propaganda tool) or the use of the atomic bomb on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, pro or con, I would be respectful. To do so does not support the cult of the Emperor or Japanese Imperialism or any of the poppycock, it acknowledges the lives of those lost amidst something greater than themselves....either a greater good or a greater evil. The respect is to them, not to the system.

Likewise, whatever my views on Islamism (as opposed to simply Islam) and all the evil unleashed on the world in the name of Jihad and Islamism, I would show respect upon entering a mosque, removing my shoes as required, being sure to not give insult, not walk in front of those praying etc. If one felt unable to do that because of ones views, then don't enter a mosque!

It's the same with entering a cathedral or country church....I have strong views about "The Church" believe me (don't even get me started!!) and that's one thing. I am still fully capable of entering a cathedral or a church or a chapel or what-have-you and being respectful of others present and not start in on how corrupt The Church is or how the cathedral was built using essentially slave labour or what-have-you. It is not the time nor the place for such diatribes. Over coffee afterward? sure, if it comes up...maybe. Depends on circumstances, doesn't it?

As someone else mentioned, we seem to have a whole generation or two who have no concept of respect or manners or how to conduct themselves in public. Not to absolve them, because at some point I think they should be able to come to an understanding themselves on what is appropriate but if they have never been supplied with the tools to do so, then they can't.

Who's to blame for that? Them? To a point, perhaps, yes as the information is available, it's out there. Their parents? Yes, but if the parents grew up in an environment of lies and cover-ups and propaganda detailing the evils of The Other (in this case, the West i.e. non-Japanese), of course they will have absorbed that and since every person on the face of the earth is most comfortable in their own and with their own and is prone to project all that is good and right to them and theirs and all that is suspect onto The Other, I think it is fairly easy to understand how such conflicts between races/nations/groups/cultures occurs.

Which is not, I hasten to add, in any way meant to excuse the behaviour or the attitude. Yes, absolutely it must be challenged. Like dandc said, approach the group's guide/interpreter and tell them such behaviour is seen as disrespectful and shameful and the individuals doing it should, if no other reason but it is upsetting others, desist. If that fails, seek out someone in authority at the site and have the offenders evicted! Embarrass the living hell out of them. Japanese are big on 'saving face' but if they cannot seem to grasp it cuts both ways and they end up 'losing face'...tough noogies!!

If I am to be expected to respect their traditions/culture/cultural sites, then they damn well better respect ours. Seems pretty basic to me. Mutual respect.

Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime29/9/2011, 04:11

hi there,
good discussion.
Another thing that bugs me is the moderates rarely voice disgust at the radicals of there religon,faith or beliefs !! I have never seen or read in Alberta, Canada- the Muslim council attempt to stop any radicals,gang members or the likes from killing,breaking the law publicly.If the moderates can't stop there own,we have no chance.
Just my observation.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 10:24

Having mentioned the Commonwealth cemetery at Becklingen earlier I was remembering a time when a group of us went there for a wander around.

One of our party wondered why some RAF headstones were grouped together and asked a man in black battledress who was working nearby. He turned out to be an employee of the people that maintain war cemeteries and explained that while it was known who was in an aircraft when it came down it was not always possible to identify individuals so they were buried in a mass grave.

Jock (it turned out he was Scottish!) then went on to tell us that the first man to cross the Rhine was buried there as was the youngest VC of the war. The man was a mine of information.

The saddest thing about Becklingen is that most of the people buried there died in the last six months of the war.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AUSCHWITZ Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUSCHWITZ   AUSCHWITZ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AUSCHWITZ
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: World War 2-
Jump to: