BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
» 1947 Britannia shield cross country 5 mile
Yesterday at 12:22 by sponsz

» Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle
16/11/2017, 19:19 by numnuts001

» Eckernfoerde
16/11/2017, 12:24 by alan8376

» B.A.O.R 5
15/11/2017, 19:57 by Norman

» 1947 FIRST ALLIED CROSS-COUNTRY 12 APRIL IN HANNOVER
14/11/2017, 14:21 by Pborn4

» BFN (BFBS)
14/11/2017, 09:31 by Chemist

» Sennelager?
12/11/2017, 15:49 by Norman

» Barker Bks, (prev. Panzer Viking!) Driburgerstr, Paderborn
12/11/2017, 13:37 by Pborn4

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
12/11/2017, 13:35 by Pborn4

» 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards
12/11/2017, 13:33 by Pborn4

» Blankenese
10/11/2017, 20:14 by Norman

» Warendorf 1948
5/11/2017, 12:19 by steve

» The Belgiques
5/11/2017, 09:04 by BavonWW

» Do you know this place - Bothfeld Kaserne
5/11/2017, 02:00 by Pborn4

» Rhine Army Horse Show / RASS
5/11/2017, 00:33 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   
CalendarCalendar
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 
 

 Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SteveR
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   6/11/2011, 11:16

I would welcome any help regarding the Vickers Vigilant anti-tank missile in service with BAOR.

I would like to know:
- when the missile entered service in BAOR
- what unit types (infantry battalion, armoured infantry battalion?) it was issued to and how it was organised (platoon?) and numbers per unit
- when the missiles left front line service with BAOR.

The missile was also fitted to Ferret scout cars - I would like to know what types of unit would have ferrets fitted with these missiles, together with organisation and numbers.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soprano54
WOI
WOI
avatar

Number of posts : 159
Age : 59
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   6/11/2011, 13:09

SteveR wrote:
The missile was also fitted to Ferret scout cars - I would like to know what types of unit would have ferrets fitted with these missiles, together with organisation and numbers.

Thank you.

Armd Recce Regts were equiped with this piece of kit!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveR
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   7/11/2011, 19:00

Many thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soprano54
WOI
WOI
avatar

Number of posts : 159
Age : 59
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   7/11/2011, 20:20

SteveR wrote:
Many thanks

Pleasure, I'll be chatting to a couple of guys who were about when this kit was in service. Twas mounted on a Ferret MK2/6.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soprano54
WOI
WOI
avatar

Number of posts : 159
Age : 59
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   8/11/2011, 19:40

soprano54 wrote:
SteveR wrote:
Many thanks

Pleasure, I'll be chatting to a couple of guys who were about when this kit was in service. Twas mounted on a Ferret MK2/6.

I've been reliably informed that there was one Ferret MK2/6 in each Troop of which there four per Sqn and there were three Sqns to a Regt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveR
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   8/11/2011, 22:19

soprano54 wrote:

I've been reliably informed that there was one Ferret MK2/6 in each Troop of which there four per Sqn and there were three Sqns to a Regt.

This is great - thank you again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pinky
Capt
Capt


Number of posts : 208
Localisation : Southern Alberta, Canada.
Cap Badge : 14th/20th Kings Hussars - KRH
Places Served : In BAOR : Hohne,Berlin and Munster.
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   8/11/2011, 23:47

hi there,
Interesting subject.
I did swingfire ATGW in about 1983-4.On 438's.
The RA gave it to the RAC. In my regt it was one of the shortest lived troops ever.........it lasted 9 months....including 3x SLTA - 1x BATUS and 2x range periods...and then it went back to the RA I believe.
Didn't enjoy the weapon system.........on the flanks and up all night with the sep.sight !!
1420H had the best hit percentage of the RAC.....about 89% I recall.
The 438 finally disapeared but swingfire was retained in the Striker (cvr-t).
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   9/11/2011, 09:46

pinky wrote:
hi there,
Interesting subject.
I did swingfire ATGW in about 1983-4.On 438's.
The RA gave it to the RAC. In my regt it was one of the shortest lived troops ever.........it lasted 9 months....including 3x SLTA - 1x BATUS and 2x range periods...and then it went back to the RA I believe.
Didn't enjoy the weapon system.........on the flanks and up all night with the sep.sight !!
1420H had the best hit percentage of the RAC.....about 89% I recall.
The 438 finally disapeared but swingfire was retained in the Striker (cvr-t).
atb
pinky
HUSSAR

We found ourselves with a GW Tp when QOH moved to Hohne in '70.
That was Swingfire/438, of course. Deployed to cover the regiment's flanks, as I recall.
It sticks in my mind that the RHA had Swingfire later. It looks like there was quite a lot of shuffling around going on Pinky !
(I never understood how it was that the periscope for Swingfire was made in East Germany).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
soprano54
WOI
WOI
avatar

Number of posts : 159
Age : 59
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   9/11/2011, 12:14

brum wrote:
pinky wrote:
hi there,
Interesting subject.
I did swingfire ATGW in about 1983-4.On 438's.
The RA gave it to the RAC. In my regt it was one of the shortest lived troops ever.........it lasted 9 months....including 3x SLTA - 1x BATUS and 2x range periods...and then it went back to the RA I believe.
Didn't enjoy the weapon system.........on the flanks and up all night with the sep.sight !!
1420H had the best hit percentage of the RAC.....about 89% I recall.
The 438 finally disapeared but swingfire was retained in the Striker (cvr-t).
atb
pinky
HUSSAR

We found ourselves with a GW Tp when QOH moved to Hohne in '70.
That was Swingfire/438, of course. Deployed to cover the regiment's flanks, as I recall.
It sticks in my mind that the RHA had Swingfire later. It looks like there was quite a lot of shuffling around going on Pinky !
(I never understood how it was that the periscope for Swingfire was made in East Germany).


This all happened in the late 70s, if you recall Armd Regts went up to 62 per Regt (15 per Sabre Sqn (x4) and 2 in RHQ) from I think 44 (14 per Sabre Sqn (x3) and 2 in RHQ). They had to find the manpower from somewhere so we lost Recce Tp and GW. When you went on exercise the Close Recce was done by the Bde/TF Armd Recce Regt, in our case 15/19 and the GW came from the Bde/TF Field Arty unit. In 1984 this changed again and we got back our Close Recce Tp and GW but the 438 didn't last much longer as in 85 it was deemed as defunct! I was quite glad in a way as it shortened (at very little notice) my Gunnery Instrs course, which I was on at time!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pinky
Capt
Capt


Number of posts : 208
Localisation : Southern Alberta, Canada.
Cap Badge : 14th/20th Kings Hussars - KRH
Places Served : In BAOR : Hohne,Berlin and Munster.
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   9/11/2011, 16:23

Hi there,
I recall getting class 1 pay as a swingfire trained operator......which was cool as I wasn't due my chieftain driver mech until later !!
We had some Gnry R.I's convert us plus some RA that transferred to us as swingfire experts.(about 5,all good lads). Plus as a driver we had to convert to 432's,2 quite rushed courses.
I remember getting an engine runaway on the ranges........yep the governer was low !! oops.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soprano54
WOI
WOI
avatar

Number of posts : 159
Age : 59
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   9/11/2011, 16:35

SteveR wrote:
soprano54 wrote:

I've been reliably informed that there was one Ferret MK2/6 in each Troop of which there four per Sqn and there were three Sqns to a Regt.

This is great - thank you again

Correction there would have been five of the seven Troops equipped with the Ferret Mk2/6, sorry!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   9/11/2011, 19:35


[/quote]

This all happened in the late 70s, if you recall Armd Regts went up to 62 per Regt (15 per Sabre Sqn (x4) and 2 in RHQ) from I think 44 (14 per Sabre Sqn (x3) and 2 in RHQ). They had to find the manpower from somewhere so we lost Recce Tp and GW. When you went on exercise the Close Recce was done by the Bde/TF Armd Recce Regt, in our case 15/19 and the GW came from the Bde/TF Field Arty unit.

Thanks for the info, when all that was going on I was on a UK posting, followed by demob.

I'm trying to imagine there being no recce tp. I bet there were some long faces among The Elite when that one kicked in !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation   

Back to top Go down
 
Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Vigilant Anti-Tank Missile - Service Dates and Organisation
» Any old Mates from 1LI - Anti/Tank Pltn - 1971 - 1978
» 623 Mixed Service Organisation (MSO) Bielefeld BFPO 39
» service of a gym instructor
» 4th Royal Tank Regiment

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: Kit and Equipment-
Jump to: