BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 45 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 45 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Army Kinema Corporation

Go down 
+21
Ian Stuart Laidlaw
gingerjim
jimsigs1
brum
Nutstrangler
JAL
Terry Hanlon
burgess720
Norman
JPW
jim
clive1
Paul
ciphers
Hairy Lineman
Stephen Lock
John Bell
donald
malc239
(KINGO)
Bexy
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 10:20

I'm sure you are right JPW, it was great we used to pay with a 30pfg token I think. I earned mine by fagging. Now that's a term to conjecture with these days. Wink
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 20:11

Does anyone know if the Globe Cinema in Deilinghofen (Prince of Wales barracks) is still there and still in operation or has it been allowed to go derelict if not actually demolished?

Somehow I don't really see the Deilinghofeners utilizing it, preferring to truck into Hemer or Iserlohn, I suppose, for their movie viewing.

Of course, in this day and age of DVDs and Internet, who knows?
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 57
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Hildesheim, Hannover.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 20:20

There was a Globe Cinema just behind HQ Hannover District when I was there 1955-57. I was there a few years ago and it is now civvy offices with a car park on what was the roof. It was always very popular as a kino and the HQ Hannover Drama Society put on some cracking plays, mainly comedies, which were well supported.

Noch ein bier,

Norman.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 10:47

Were all SKC Cinemas called the globe?

I don't recall the one in Hobart being called that, I could be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 57
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Hildesheim, Hannover.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 12:35

There was an RAF cinema at RAF Wunstorf near Hannover which was called the Astra which I believe was a popular name for RAF kinos. A blue job once told me that they were always at the back of the camps and that "Par Adua ad Astra" meant "A long way to the cinema"!!

Noch ein Bier,

Norman.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 12:44

The Astra at RAF Changi was right in the middle of the domestic part of the station..You could almost fall out of your bed into it.or vicky verky
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 17:51

Jim

I believe Globe Cinema was the brand name for all former Army Kinema Services cinemas, similarly the equivalent RAF were Astra though there must have been exceptions, especially where there were two cinemas in very large widespread Garrisons (have a nagging feeling there was a Napier Cinema in Dortmund at one time)
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 04:37

Kicking around on this site somewhere are a couple of photos (before and after sort of thing) of the Napier Cinema, opened by some minor Royal in the late 50s/early 60s. Sadly, the building is now derelict, if standing at all....derelict at the time of the "now" pic being taken, I know that.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 08:45

ah, there must have been several in Osnabruck as well, the one we used was in dodesheide, as that was the nearest to Kleine Moscow.
Back to top Go down
burgess720
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 04:27

Hi Jim and all,

During my time in Osnabruck 1951-1952 the Globe Cinema was a Nissen type structure

From Roberts barracks, we caught a tram and got off at Adolf Hitler Platz [still marked on tram tickets at that time]
Think this is now Neumarkt?
Only a short walk down a street [no tram lines]; through a hole in a wall then into a paved area was the cinema
Can anyopne give exact location on todays maps?

Dont know where Dodesheide is?

Regards
Tony [Royal Engineers]
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 09:13

Tony,

Dodesheide was up the tank road from Roberts Bks past Kleine Moscow. There was a tank regiment stationed there.

Go to google maps, type in Osnabruck and look north and east and you'll see it. There was a quarters area there as well.
Back to top Go down
Terry Hanlon
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime31/1/2011, 18:14

I was a projectionist at the AKC Hubbelrath 1962/1964 along with Sgt Yates Grenadier Guards and Gerry Pigeon Irish Guards. The Manager at the time was a man called Langdon?Langton? Some where I have a photograph of him and Sgt Daff RASC and my self on a night out in Dusseldorf . Does anyone remember him?

Regards Terry Hanlon ex L/Sgt Irish Guards at the time serving at HQ 4th Guards Brigade, Hubbelrath.
Back to top Go down
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 68
Cap Badge : RASC & RAOC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Minden, Mannheim/Seckenheim
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime31/1/2011, 20:31

burgess720 wrote:
Hi Jim and all,

During my time in Osnabruck 1951-1952 the Globe Cinema was a Nissen type structure

From Roberts barracks, we caught a tram and got off at Adolf Hitler Platz [still marked on tram tickets at that time]
Think this is now Neumarkt?
Only a short walk down a street [no tram lines]; through a hole in a wall then into a paved area was the cinema
Can anyopne give exact location on todays maps?

Dont know where Dodesheide is?

Regards
Tony [Royal Engineers]

Tony,
It was still a Nissen hut in 56/57 when I was there as a brat! The NAAFI was next door with the library and eduction centre behind. I've a picture of the AKC which I thought was published it on this site.

John
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 09:10

Hi Terry and welcome mate.
Back to top Go down
Nutstrangler
Sgt
Sgt
Nutstrangler

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield, Malaya, Singapore, Brunei , Kuching, Bulford, Bunde, Bordon, Dhekelia, Iserlohn, Lemgo,Hameln, Zimbabwe.
Registration date : 2011-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:25

I did my Unit Projectionist course at the AKC Kent, Dover Road, Singapore in 1965. I've still got my D16 Debrie user handbook. No wonder the missus says I'm a magpie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 14:15

Now!!That explains a lot Laughing
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 17:47

I saw a few classics at the old Globe Cinema in Deilinghofen....the original Pink Panther (and the first time I ever heard anything "naughty" on screen....Clouseau was at a costume ball and bumped into a Cleopatra who promptly turns around and declares "Let go of my asp...". I was probably 7 or 8 at the time and absolutely got the pun!). Around The World in Eighty Days. Several of the "Carry On" series (hilarious) then, many years later, Easy Rider.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 10:40

Cockle shell heroes,

that was fantastic. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 17:19

I downloaded that the other day..Going to watch it to night..
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/2/2011, 09:39

jim wrote:
Cockle shell heroes,

that was fantastic. Smile

A bit incorrect historically but surely, "Zulu" must be in the Top Five war movies.

The most realistic of them, (to me) is "Saving Private Ryan". Those blokes being cut to pieces by the MG as they leave the landing craft always makes me wince.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/2/2011, 10:34

Oh Yes, I remember watching Zulu in basic training, it was good. Biggest laugh was watching Dirty Harry 1 in Detmold, we loved it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime31/3/2011, 21:55

Any of you AKC types come across a manager by the surname of Richardson. \i first met him in Korea where he was running the cinema in the camp of 28 Fld Engr Regt 1954. I came across him in 1962 when he was running the AKC Cinema in Munster BAOR.
Jim
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/4/2011, 20:11

i took a akc course in minden in 1957,i had to spend most of my sparetime showing training films after that, on several occasions i had to go and show films to the top brass at rheindahlen , queens birthday parade etc , never had occasion to show at the globe though , ginger
Back to top Go down
Ian Stuart Laidlaw
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-29

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/4/2011, 04:11

Now this is a long shot. Between 1957 and 1959 we lived at 38 Ulmenstrasse, Herford, just outside Wentworth Barracks. Living next door (#36) was a junior school pal of mine, Rolf Wilson. His father was manager of the Globe Cinema in WB. One of his parents (mother?)was German I seem to remember. Anyway I went off to King Alfred's School, Ploen, for 2 years, and then Dad was demobbed.

I wonder where Rolf is now?
Back to top Go down
woody
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 24
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Minden, NI Tours.
Registration date : 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/4/2011, 16:15

Fond memories of the AKC, the one at JTR Rhyl, and the one in Minden town center. I remember watching The Battle of Britain there, there was a rumour that some Russian Officers from SOXMIS ( Soviet Military Mission, correct me if Im wrong !) turned up to watch it one night, they were made welcome, and by all accounts,enjoyed themselves. If it aint' true, Its a jolly good yarn !!!! .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Army Kinema Corporation   The Army Kinema Corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Army Kinema Corporation
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next