BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 43 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 43 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

service records

Go down 
+13
Eric England
gingerjim
ciphers
Dulaigh
pete26
rucjock21
Les Pattenden
brum
Wilf
jimsigs1
pinky
Shelldrake
frank cartwright
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

service records - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/5/2013, 17:44

I arrived in Vancouver, Canada at 11pm, Tuesday 5 July 1966. Next morning at 8am I presented myself to the Immigration Office. They set up an appointment for 2pm that day with a company wanting an English steam fitter/mechanic. Having those basic skills I attended the interview. The first thing the manager said was 'I know your not Canadian, your on time' .. then it was a series of questions etc. experience, family life, expectations, all the usual stuff. What references did I have, well as I had only one previous employer in the preceding 10 years and the acting manager was no a Len Payne fan who had written as a reference 'Leonard Payne has worked here for the past 10 years' , there was not a lot for my prospective employer to go on.
'Where did you work prior to this job' he said pointing at the 'reference'. 'Well I was a Regular soldier' I replied seeing the job slipping away .. 'but I do have my Discharge Book'.
He read my Red Book from cover to cover, sat back and looked at me, then picked up the phone .. 'Dad' he said 'come meet your new employee, straight off the boat'. That's when I first met Leon Tessler ex Captain Winnipeg Grenadiers, his son my interviewer, was David Tessler ex British Columbia Regt
I started work the next day on a Thursday 7 July and stayed with Tessler Brother's for the next 32 years until my retirement, ending up as Operations Manager for British Columbia and Alberta, all thanks to my little Red Book.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

Number of posts : 232
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/5/2013, 17:55

ciphers wrote:
I arrived in Vancouver, Canada at 11pm, Tuesday 5 July 1966. Next morning at 8am I presented myself to the Immigration Office. They set up an appointment for 2pm that day with a company wanting an English steam fitter/mechanic. Having those basic skills I attended the interview. The first thing the manager said was 'I know your not Canadian, your on time' .. then it was a series of questions etc. experience, family life, expectations, all the usual stuff. What references did I have, well as I had only one previous employer in the preceding 10 years and the acting manager was no a Len Payne fan who had written as a reference 'Leonard Payne has worked here for the past 10 years' , there was not a lot for my prospective employer to go on.
'Where did you work prior to this job' he said pointing at the 'reference'. 'Well I was a Regular soldier' I replied seeing the job slipping away .. 'but I do have my Discharge Book'.
He read my Red Book from cover to cover, sat back and looked at me, then picked up the phone .. 'Dad' he said 'come meet your new employee, straight off the boat'. That's when I first met Leon Tessler ex Captain Winnipeg Grenadiers, his son my interviewer, was David Tessler ex British Columbia Regt
I started work the next day on a Thursday 7 July and stayed with Tessler Brother's for the next 32 years until my retirement, ending up as Operations Manager for British Columbia and Alberta, all thanks to my little Red Book.

Len (Ciphers)

Nice story Len, the red book only seems to work with people who understand the military.
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/5/2013, 19:10

Sleep Ah, here I am, just having celebrated my 68th Belly Button Birthday with a mug of coffee and a bun. No more 'Mothers Ruin', nor 'Amber Nectar', nor 'John Barleycorn' for me. Come November this year, it will be 50 years since I took the Queens Shilling and signed on the dotted line to go for a soldier. Hmm, it only feels like yesterday at times.... affraid

I shall keep my little Red Book as a souvenir, and as proof if the RMPs come looking for me.... So I need to keep taking the Meds, and 'other things' as one gets a bit greyer, and gravity takes over, and the dangly bits sag tad more than years gone by.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/5/2013, 19:30

[quote="unclevanya"] Ah, here I am, just having celebrated my 68th Belly Button Birthday

SPROG ..

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 135
Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick
Registration date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/5/2013, 20:05

My demob in Aug 67 found helpful Civvy Managers many of whom had been involved in the 2WW. The MP for Brent, Reg Freeson ?, London helped me overcome Min of Lab difficulties with my lack of Rank and ACE. I thank them all.
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

Number of posts : 18
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Fallingbostel, Minden, Arborfield again, Marchwood, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2013, 09:01

Seems I was a bit of a brown noser. Embarassed

[img]service records - Page 3 30yFVNO[/img]

Last edited by Telymech on 4/5/2013, 12:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

Places Served : Arborfield, Fallingbostel, Minden, Arborfield again, Marchwood, Osnabruck

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2013, 09:03

Never went to Brunei though!

[img]service records - Page 3 LjB1eBS[/img]

Last edited by Telymech on 4/5/2013, 12:48; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2013, 10:24

Nice to see that Pte Pike did alright for himself. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2013, 12:50

Shelldrake wrote:
Nice to see that Pte Pike did alright for himself. Laughing

Yeah, but don`t tell him!

service records - Page 3 DontTellHim,Pike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: service records   service records - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

service records
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3