BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Catterick Camp Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 53 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 53 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Catterick Camp

Go down 
+3
ciphers
unclevanya
jimsigs1
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/3/2012, 08:36

For all you bleeps,Ex and serving and anyone else who had the misfortune to serve at Catterick.
A Facebook page has been created entitled Catterick Camp History.There are a lot of old and interesting pics,which might be of interest to you

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100003364020730
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime5/3/2012, 00:05

Gordon,

Don't subscribe to Facebook so presumably there must be other web pages that record photos etc. I only served at Catterick once - 1968-72 and it wasn't that bad provided you had a car so that you could at least get out and about with your family etc. We bought ourselves a caravan and used to take the kids on most weekends to Marsk by the Sea and surrounding areas. It was a cheap weekend for us. Also, we were not that far from Scotland so that was another escape. What we missed then they have got now - a very large Tesco store and much improved married quarters over the prefabricated Swedish designed cold & damp buildings.

Richmond wasn't bad if you were single and a drinker - a pub on nearly every corner. Suprised at the number of ex military personnel who have since clung to Catterick Garrison area since they have retired. Don't know what the attractions are. !!!
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Catterick Garrison & yesteryear & Today (2012)   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime9/8/2012, 09:07

I quite liked the facilities at Catterick Garrison when I joined up in 1963, and again in '64 whilst awaiting posting to Germany. There were quite a few facilities for squaddies at Camp Centre. The big NAAFI Club with Ten Pin Bowling, restaurant and bars. there was athe Camp Cinema, chippies and various Pubs around such as the Colburn Lodge Arms.

Many years later, in the 1970s when stationed at 11 Sigs, Helles Lines, I had a wander down to Camp Centre, and all the old facilities had been closed down or demolished years previously. Even the Garrison swimming pool at the sandes Soldiers Home ahd been taken over by the 'Powers that be' for some sort of top secret military gaming venue....... all so sad. I do remembe rhtem building the then new Military hospital which I udnerstand is now shared by the NHS for the local population around Richmond and area. I do remember the old BMH Catterick when it was a load of old wooden buildings - I ended up there one time after a drunken escapade when at stationed at Vimy C barracks whilst on a course in the early 1970's.

Occasionally I swing through Catterick Garrison when travelling up to Scotland to visit family. Catterick Garrison is like the back of beyond to what it used to be many, many years ago. Even the Sally Army Canteen near to the the Bhagdad Gym is all gone now..... Sad

Oh those bacon butties, mugs of sweet tea and egg banjoes of yesteryear..... Sad
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime10/8/2012, 16:54

Drinking dens around Catterick and Richmond. Hmm, yes I ended up in a few of them. As a fresh faced, wet behind the ears 18 year old in November 1963, I was introduced to some of the peculiar ales and beers in some of the village Pubs around Catterick. drunken

I came from a relatively sheltered upbringing, so it was a social eye opener when I was lumped into 12 man barrack rooms with around 60 others for Basic Training with lads from all social backgrounds. It was a strange time for me. I signed up on the dotted line as it were on November the 5th 1963 at the ACIO in Plymouth. I was given a Rail Warrant and £3-00 spending money and told to report to Catterick. Those were the days when trains still ran from Darlington Station to Richmond Station. affraid

It was a strange time indeedy. The Basic Training (Phase One) was supposed to be 8 or 12 weeks, not sure what. But it was cut short to just over 6 weeks due the Kennedy assassination when the US Military were put on 'Defon 3' ready status. All basic training entries that month were shortened, and the lads passed out in quick time to be sent to Trade Training (Phase Two). Lots of people were sent out to Germany (16 Sigs) for Comcen Op training. I went to 224 as a trainee Spec Op., but failed the Morse tests, and ended up out at 16 Sigs to do my B3 Comcen Op training before being posted to 28 (BR) Sig Regt.

The next time I literally sh*t myself was when I was sent on a tour of N Irn to be a proper soldier as my CO told me at 223 Sig Squadron (Radio) Winchester.

All a long time ago, now I have my memories of good times, bad times and mediocre times. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime10/8/2012, 17:26

Drinking Den's .... never found one myself ..

Len (Ciphers)

Photobucket

Pass out photo 1951 ...
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: I was that Fat, Greedy Little Soldier.... Hmm, was I??   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime28/9/2012, 11:30

So it went on into my adult life. I just could not keep my nose out of others business. The old saying –“Curiosity killed the cat!” was something I just did not understand. I was a bit ‘slow’ on the uptake! Many other times I was tempted to listen into the conversations of adults. This was so after I failed several exams at school when I was 15 or 16 years old. The old saying – “those who listen at keyholes never hear anything good about themselves!” So true, as I used to try and listen in to my parents conversations ‘about me!’ No

Oh the paranoia that used to set in. This was simply because I was a lazy little blighter when at school. Later, when I left school and home, there were many temptations in the ‘Big Cruel World’. Free of family restraints and parents nagging me, I managed to avoid them for a while, as I had been brought up to be a ‘Gentleman and Scholar’ I joined the British Army (Royal Corp of Signals) – boy! Here was I, thrust into the adult world aged 18 years, and all sorts of temptations all around me. As it was said, back in the 1960s ‘Wine, Women and Song’. It was not so much ‘Wine’, but ‘whine, moan, groan!’ Well that was like a kid in a candy store to me. Lead me to the NAAFI Bar, and I would be tempted with drink and food. Sleep drunken

I was supposed to be a fit young soldier, but the temptations of food and beer was too much. As an adult I prided myself on ‘common sense’ and not being ‘like them other folks’. But, boy, I was just as tempted by things as anyone else. I was always told that my ‘Eyes were bigger than my belly!’ and that was true. I could be tempted by tasty food even after having a good meal under my belt. If there was Chocolate Gateaux and Ice cream to be had, I could always find room for it. It did not always do me good, as my overindulgence often ended up in the gutter after eating far too much. But that temptation for you, anything that looked tasty, I ate it! My problem was that I had no will power. If someone suggested going out for a good ‘knees up’, I would be there ready for a night out on the tiles. If I didn’t go out with the lads, I thought that I was missing out on something. After a few hours of carousing, I usually got bored and wanted to be someplace else. Then if someone suggested to go to ‘some place else’, I then didn’t want to go as I was far too comfortable where I was. It a case that the ‘grass was always greener…...’ at the other place. When I went to that ‘other place’, I wanted to back at the ‘original place’.

But today I am a bit older and wiser I hope, and temptations just don’t grab my excitement any more. I’m too old to stuff myself with food like I used to, and I can’t run as fast I used to if tempted to be in a place that I shouldn’t be in. I can still be tempted by life’s cornucopia of pleasures. I like browsing through Farmers Markets, and I always like tasting the wares. One of my favourites is Cheese. Oh I do like a strong cheese, the stronger the better. Any cheese will tempt me to buy some; the problem is I usually eat the lot. Then there are the ‘Coffee and Cake’ mornings. I usually drink too much coffee and scoff more than one or two cakes. Then there’s the chocolate – did I mention the chocolate. Well probably not, I was too engrossed in all the other temptations. But I do like a nice Black Forest Chocolate Gateau, or a savo lol! bounce ry Cheese Cake - you just cannot beat it!
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Number of posts : 279
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime30/9/2012, 20:31

I only stopped in Catterick Camp a short time at Bourlon Bks after completing an 18 mth tour at Palace Bks.What I can remember about it was doing my taxi driver for the taxi rank in the camp centre on the sly.There were quite a few of us doing our drivers for the taxi coy until the RSM found out.But by then I was going out to civvy st so, I wasn't too worried.I forgot to mention folks that I gained my Class One HGV licence courtesy of a very good friend at 60 Squadron. cheers

Last edited by rucjock21 on 1/10/2012, 14:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime1/10/2012, 05:28

I got a job as a Taxi driver when I left. Only lasted a week - don't like people talking behind my back.
Back to top Go down

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime1/10/2012, 08:58

I was at Catterick camp 7 times Sad .Only on short courses and transit ..Thank god
Laughing
8 Sigs x 3,11 Sigs x2 and 24 Sigs x 2
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime1/10/2012, 21:20

Only in Catterick once myself ... back in 1951 ... here is a photo of Somme Lines after the renovation ..

Len (Ciphers)

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime2/10/2012, 09:14

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: "Where's Yer Bra You C***t!"   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 00:11

I still have nightmares over the Baghdad Gym where physical torture was practiced on us virginal, greenhorn you 18 and 19 year olds during Basic Training in November 1963. the PTI Corporals always had it in for me in my mind. I was a tad chubby as a youngster (still am). Every time the squad was scheduled for PT, this particular little Corporal always asked me at the top of his voice if I was missing any items of clothing?
Shocked

"Where's yer f**cking bra, you little t**d...!!!"

You see, when doing star jumps, my Moobs would bounce up and down like they had a life of their own..... it was sooo embarrassing...!" Embarassed Sad

Last edited by unclevanya on 4/10/2012, 00:16; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Late O 'Clock & Not Enough coffee & Cake)
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 12:16

Depot Para Regt & Airborne Forces Maida Bks Aldershot. The Gym where mony a potential airborne sojer sweated the shuchs aff his erse tae become a Para.The PTI's were sadists
especialy when it came to the Milling.Then doon tae the log race,stretcher race,trainasium (spelling)and frequent road runs around Aldershot and the ranges.

affraid affraid tongue tongue
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 14:33

rucjock21 wrote:
Depot Para Regt & Airborne Forces Maida Bks Aldershot. The Gym where mony a potential airborne sojer sweated the shuchs aff his erse tae become a Para.The PTI's were sadists
especialy when it came to the Milling.Then doon tae the log race,stretcher race,trainasium (spelling)and frequent road runs around Aldershot and the ranges.

affraid affraid tongue tongue

I swear this bloke gets more Glaswegian my the minute.

Stand by for the Rab C Nesbitt avatar ! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 15:36

Weell He is a weegie Brum affraid
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 17:42

aaayyy, there seems to be a surplus of the buggers !

I say, one doesn't find Embra represented here.

Most odd, what ?
Back to top Go down

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 18:42

I`m right in the middle of the two
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 22:02

I am still looking for an avatar of Rab C. cheers
Back to top Go down

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 23:13

Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime5/10/2012, 05:30

Gordon. wrote:
I`m right in the middle of the two

Bit like the Kai Thais of Bugis Strasse - neither one nor the other, what? Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime5/10/2012, 08:34

I lived in weegie land for a couple of years when i escaped the MOD.
The job prospects were greater than on the beautiful island..
Much preferred it to Embra.
.but the Bugis Strasse location topped them both
,beenie boys or not..
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime5/10/2012, 12:06

Many thanks Gordon for the link.Very much appreciated.RJ21
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime20/6/2016, 10:37

Does 11 Signal Regiment have a modern incarnation nowadays (2016). I know the Sigs no longer have any presence in Catterick Garrison, and have not done so for many years. All my early basic training (Phase One) and some courses were carried out at the old Vimy Lines, or 8 Sig Regiment when that wa sin existence for training coruses. I did do some courses down at 30 Sigs at Blandford Camp, Dorset many, many years ago. I think it was a one week course - Combat Powerman, or how to connect up and start up a small Landrover towed trialer mounted generator pack. I think that i just managed to pass it, I was a full corporal at the time.

I understand that 11 Sigs is located elswhere in the UK now.

I haven't post my 'blah' on thsi Froum for a while, and seem to ahve an attack of verbal diarhea this morning, but that might be 'coz it is raining and my knees ache. Time for more coffee...!! affraid Sleep
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime25/6/2016, 21:46

Uncle Vanya

Good to have you back

11 (Training) Signals Regiment is now based at Blandford which has taken over from Catterick as the "home" of the Royal Signals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Catterick Camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catterick Camp   Catterick Camp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Catterick Camp
Page 1 of 1