BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 68 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 68 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RAF Radar Defences

Go down 
+6
jimsigs1
Goldmohur
brum
Shelldrake
Les Pattenden
Lighthouseman
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lighthouseman
Cpl
Cpl
Lighthouseman

Number of posts : 19
Cap Badge : RAF
Places Served : National Service (1955-57), RAF Sundern, Det. Lüneburg, Det. Xanten
Registration date : 2012-03-09

RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2012, 23:47

It is obvious from these posts to date that there must have been a great deal of activity going in Germany over the Cold War years amongst the radio/radar fraternity; as well as other forms of listening/tracking/communications units. My own experience just recounts a relatively small, albeit important, era in the defence of Western Europe. Apart from the RAF, the Royal Signal Corp also had their own networks, and no doubt there were things going on over these years of which we still know very little.

Here is an interesting tale. The equipment we used was American. It was developed in 1948. Originally, as far as I know, it was meant for the Royal Navy - being very portable, and it was easy to assemble and equally easy to disassemble if necessary. For whatever reason, most likely the developing Cold War, the powers that be must have decided that it's use on land for the protection of the West a more important priority.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Back to top Go down
http://www.bellrock.org.uk
Lighthouseman
Cpl
Cpl
Lighthouseman

Places Served : National Service (1955-57), RAF Sundern, Det. Lüneburg, Det. Xanten

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/3/2012, 18:57

'Never Again Divided'
. . . the words on the commemorative stone on the old East German border (Iron Curtain) near Travemünde on the Baltic.
It bears the arms of both provinces - Travemünde and Mecklenburg.

I found it very odd walking on East German soil after having spent my 2 years' National Service on the other side never daring to go anywhere near it. I just felt that at any moment some DDR soldiers would jump out of the bushes and cart me off to Siberia!!!

RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Lune-ddr-07
Back to top Go down
Lighthouseman
Cpl
Cpl
Lighthouseman

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2012, 20:38

I have been thinking that my posts (reminiscences) on the deployment of Distant Early Warning radar in BAOR might be better suited to the main website www.baor-locations.co.uk, so I may perhaps cobble something together and see if they want to make use of it.

However, a little bit of light relief from those days. At certain times of the year the entire airfield from where we operated became infested with flying may bugs (actually cockchafers). Huge insects, at least I thought they were, which I've never seen here in Scotland. Anyway they seemed to be particularly attracted to the radar antenna. I remember one day we decided to clean up the roof of the flat-topped lorry, only to find that there was a carpet of dead bugs strewn an inch-deep under the array!!

This immediately set us wondering if in fact it could possibly affect in some way our fertility (heaven forbid!!) in the future. Sterilisation by radar!!!! Fortunately our fears proved groundless, for those that I kept in touch with since then, happily, were in no way affected at least in that bodily function!!

A quick question then . . . how many ex-RAF bods do you think are active on the Forum at the moment? Just curious . . . .

Jock (David)

Back to top Go down
Geordie Brian
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-05-17

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/5/2013, 06:34

I was with 114su in luneburg1954/55 time.We were stationed on the old Luftwaffer airfield at the top of the barrack hill from lune burg. 114 su at that time was stationed on the 1st floor of what was airfield fire station.On the ground floor was another RAF signals unit,who kept to themselves,but we all new many of them could speak Russian. Our radar unit was in the middle of the airfield.Also in the barracks was a large army medic unit,and at first,a battalion of Qeens own Cameron Highlanders. Fortunately,because we were on their site,they took it on themselves to look after us,we never had any problems. From sunderland,our base,I was sent to Cuxhaven,for two or three months,HMS Royal Albert,a shore station. Just wish I had more sense at that age,and took all the opportunities that were available.but at 18/19 years old who did in those days. Brian
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/5/2013, 08:42

Lighthouseman wrote:
I have been thinking that my posts (reminiscences) on the deployment of Distant Early Warning radar in BAOR might be better suited to the main website www.baor-locations.co.uk, so I may perhaps cobble something together and see if they want to make use of it.

The website has new ownership and now www.baor-locations.org see my Laarbruch post from yesterday for details...
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Lighthouseman
Cpl
Cpl
Lighthouseman

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/5/2013, 09:56

Thanks, Steve, for the change of address of baor-locations. I always believed that the early warning radar in Germany was worth telling so the full story is now available on Flickr - see
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellrockman2011/sets/72157632369678583/
I did try to interest Neatishead some years back, but they didn't seem all that much interested in my story; also the Secret Bunker in Fife. Although it did interest them, it lead to nothing. The Americans (Radomes), however, were, and I gave them a couple of scans for their own site. It is possible to do something similar with the baor site. Any thoughts?

To Brian, above . . . well, we must have just missed each other. Please see the address above. I didn't arrive in 114 SU till late September 1955. If you are from Newcastle, then there was a Geordie lad there during my time, but I can't remember his name. I think there's even a photo of him in the Flickr site mentioned above. Jock (David)

Back to top Go down
Jasper
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Places Served : Cardington West Kirby Sundern Sylt dets to Luneburg Cuxhaven Sennerlager
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/7/2014, 05:53

Hello,

I was posted to RAF Sundern, [2Group ops. room] in October, 1952. From there
had several detachments to Early Warning Radar sets at Luneburg, Cuxhaven
[ HMS Royal Albert] and Sennerlager, before spending my third year of service
in the Station Signals at RAF Sylt, an air firing training school.

Jasper
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/7/2014, 18:42

Jasper

Welcome

Did you ever serve on detached duty at the RAF Radar Stations in Husum or Kiel? If so would be very interested in any memories you may recall.
Back to top Go down
Jasper
Private
Private

Places Served : Cardington West Kirby Sundern Sylt dets to Luneburg Cuxhaven Sennerlager

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/7/2014, 18:54

No, I never got to either of those two places.

Jasper.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/7/2014, 18:55

Pity
Back to top Go down
Jasper
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/8/2022, 09:17

I was posted to RAF Sundern [later Mansergh Brks] in Oct. 1953. Was detached to several radar units Luneberg [1 week], Sennerlager, Cuxhaven [HMS Royal Albert][still have my shore card allowing me out of the establishment] Last 12 months of service spent at RAF Sylt.
Brian

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAF Radar Defences   RAF Radar Defences - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAF Radar Defences
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2