BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 50 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 50 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Walter Mittys.

Go down 
+22
JPW
cartav
steve1226
Hussar100
Eric England
dandc
Dulaigh
rucjock21
unclevanya
bigmal
pete26
gingerjim
jim
Teabag
"john boy"
Mike_2817
ciphers
jimsigs1
brum
steve
Shelldrake
jazzhed96
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 09:51

Where did all this wearing bits of uniform on remembrance day come from anyway? I was on a ferry to Cherbourg at the time of the 50th anniversary of the D day landings and there were a lot of veterans on the boat. None of the Brits were wearing uniform but all the Americans were wearing bits of kit. You could see the Walters telling tall tales to whoever would listen while the real vets just stood and stared at the coast.
I think it all started then. Before that all the old boys round my way wore mufti and no beret on remembrance day.
What got the Mitty's really excited was when they started bringing the bodies back to Wooton Basset and the TV got interested.
I think maybe the paras all wore their berets but someone can prove me wrong. I have lost count of the number of times I have met people who claim to be ex forces and when you ask what mob they always give you that look and say "The mob." Wankers. As we all know anyone who was special forces wouldn't dream of telling anyone, especially a stranger.

Anyone who saw thew film "Ronin" with Sean Bean playing a very Walter Mitty type will remeber how Robert de Niro caught him out by asking him what colour the boathouse door was in Hereford.
Great film though.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 10:41

Goes back a long way this Walter Mitty stuff............... just been reading an account of Rorke's Drift & bits in the film "Zulu". It says the Colour Sgt, hadn't been awarded the WW1 medals he wore and the Welsh connection was a bit premature. The 24th Regt detachment at Rorke's Drift had 49 English, 32 Welsh, (18 of whom were from Monmouthshire which wasn't a Welsh county then ), 16 Irish & 22 of various nationality.

Although the 24th's depot had been set up in Brecon four years before, they didn't become the South Wales Borderers, who adopted "Men of Harlech" as the regt march, until two years after the action. Eat your heart out Taffy !
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 10:46

[quote="steve1226"] I have lost count of the number of times I have met people who claim to be ex forces and when you ask what mob they always give you that look and say "The mob." Wankers.

On the odd occasion I've encountered a potential Walt I simply ask "what's your first four ?".
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 10:53

cartav wrote:

Goes back a long way this Walter Mitty stuff............... just been reading an account of Rorke's Drift & bits in the film "Zulu".    It says the Colour Sgt, hadn't been awarded the WW1 medals he wore and  the Welsh connection was a bit premature.  The 24th Regt detachment at Rorke's Drift had 49 English,  32 Welsh, (18 of whom were from Monmouthshire which wasn't a Welsh county then ), 16 Irish  & 22 of various nationality.

Although the 24th's depot had been set up in Brecon four years before,  they didn't become the South Wales Borderers, who adopted "Men of Harlech" as the regt march, until two years after the action.   Eat your heart out Taffy !

I never noticed C/Sgt Bourne wearing WW1 medals, I must have a shufti next time it's on.
They DID lay the Welsh stuff on a bit didn't they ? Around that time , apparently, the SWB and the Warwicks were a bit entangled. I've never got around to researching that though.
Anyroad up, Ivor Emmanuel was good and the Zulus were just brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 11:49

I worked with a guy who served 22 years with The Parachute Regiment, finished up as a C/Sgt, what he hadn't done wasn't worth knowing. He was a Walt in uniform!
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 14:56

brum wrote:

I never noticed C/Sgt Bourne wearing WW1 medals, I must have a shufti nexttime it's on..................
Anyroad up, Ivor Emmanuel was good and the Zulus were just brilliant.

Bet you won't have to wait long to see it !   I seem to be having a gander every other month, it's well worth it.  And yes, I'll be looking at the C/sgts  chest ( as well as the Zulu maidens' bit in the beginning !).  Maybe the author's not above getting things wrong as he does say  "Sgt. Major" not "C/ Sgt". I think Chard's too up to date with his pistol too. Looked to me like an Enfield or a Webley .38 which are much too recent. However it's all good stuff and the author is credited with 35 years service and for being one time CO of a light cavalry regt.   Warwicks are mentioned  and Bromhead is noted as being a company  "OC   of "24th ( 2nd. Warwickshire ) Regt.   Can't quite understand that  but, at the time, there was some reorg in hand and  regts which were once labelled just by a number were now about to have  an association with a particular county or district.

Too Welsh ? Maybe ........ That's what you might expect from Stanley Baker and Burton.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 17:36

Its not normaly the author who is wrong but the film maker & his props department.

Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 20:50

Why spoil a good story by telling the truth?

In Zulu Private Harry Hook is portrayed a a drunken layabout. Subsequent research showed he was a very quiet, utterly reliable teetotaller Londoner.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/7/2013, 21:36

Zulu, the film - Historical inaccuracies

Historical picture of Zulu warriors from about the same time as the events depicted in Zulu
Although writer Cy Endfield consulted a Zulu tribal historian for information from Zulu oral tradition about the attack, a number of historical inaccuracies in the film have been noted:

The regiment

The 24th Regiment of Foot is described as a Welsh regiment: in fact, although based in Brecon in south Wales, its designation was the 24th (The 2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot. It did not become the South Wales Borderers until 1881. Of the soldiers present, 49 were English, 32 Welsh, 16 Irish and 22 others of indeterminate nationality.

The song "Men of Harlech" features prominently as the regimental song; it did not become so until later. At the time of the battle, the regimental song was "The Warwickshire Lad". There was no "battlefield singing contest" between the British and the Zulus.

The Witts

There are several inconstencies with the historical record concerning the Swedish missionaries, the Witts. In the film, Witt is depicted as a middle-aged widower, a pacifist and drunkard, who has an adult daughter called Margareta. In reality, Otto Witt was aged 30, and had a wife, Elin, and two infant children. Witt's family were 30 kilometres (19 mi) away at the time of the battle. On the morning of the battle, Otto Witt, with the chaplain, George Smith and Surgeon-Major James Henry Reynolds had ascended Shiyane, the large hill near the station, and noticed the approach of the Zulu force across the Buffalo River. Far from being a pacifist, Witt had co-operated closely with the army and negotiated a lease to put Rorke's Drift at Lord Chelmsford's disposal. Witt made it clear that he did not oppose British intervention against Cetshwayo. He had stayed at Rorke's Drift because he wished "to take part in the defence of my own house and at the same time in the defence of an important place for the whole colony, yet my thoughts went to my wife and to my children, who were at a short distance from there, and did not know anything of what was going on". He therefore left on horseback to join his family shortly before the battle.

The men of the regiment

Lieutenants John Chard and Gonville Bromhead: Lt Chard had received his promotion in April 1868, making Lt Bromhead the junior Lieutenant and second-in-command at the Drift even though he was an infantryman and Chard an engineer. In the film, it is stated that Bromhead received his commission only three months after Chard when, in fact, it was a full three years after Chard.

Surgeon Reynolds: During the Battle of Rorke's Drift, Reynolds went around the barricades, distributing ammunition and tending to the wounded there, something that is not shown in the film.During the closing voiceover, he is also incorrectly referred to as "Surgeon-Major, Army Hospital Corps"; Reynolds was of the Army Medical Department, and was not promoted to the rank of Surgeon-Major until after the action at Rorke's Drift.[9] The pacifism apparent in Magee's portrayal is also somewhat anachronistic and not based on the historical Surgeon Reynolds.

Private Henry Hook VC is depicted as a rogue with a penchant for alcohol; in fact he was a model soldier who later became a sergeant; he was also a teetotaller. While the film has him in the hospital "malingering, under arrest", he had actually been assigned there specifically to guard the building.[10] The filmmakers felt that the story needed an anti-hero who redeems himself in the course of events, but the film's presentation of Hook caused his daughters to walk out of the film premiere in disgust.

Conversely, Corporal William Allen is depicted as a model soldier; in fact, he had recently been demoted from sergeant for drunkenness.

Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne (1854–1945) is depicted as a big, hardened, middle-aged veteran; in fact, he was of smaller stature and, aged 24, the youngest colour sergeant in the British Army.

He was called 'The Kid' by his men. Sergeant Bourne would not have worn medals on his duty uniform. Moreover, Green's costume has the chevrons on the wrong arm. Bourne refused a VC and instead requested a commission. He was the last British survivor of the Battle, dying a full Colonel.

The role of Padre George Smith ("Ammunition" Smith) is completely ignored.

Corporal Christian Ferdinand Schiess was only 22, significantly younger than the actor who portrayed him.

The detachment of cavalry from "Durnford's Horse" who ride up to the mission station were members of the Natal Native Horse, mainly composed of black riders, (rather than the local white farmers depicted in the film), who had survived the Battle of Isandlwana and had ridden to Rorke's Drift to warn and aid the garrison there. They were present during the opening action with the Zulus, but then rode off as they had very little ammunition for their cavalry carbines. Captain Stephenson is depicted at their head; in reality he was leading the NNC infantry, who had already deserted.

The uniforms of the Natal Native Contingent are inaccurate: NNC troops were not issued with European-style clothes. The story of their desertion is true. However, as Witt had already left, he was not responsible for their departure. They left of their own accord, with Captain Stephenson and his European NCOs. These deserters were fired at as they left and one of their NCOs, Corporal Anderson, was killed. Stephenson was later convicted of desertion at court-martial and dismissed from the army.

The Zulus

The attack on the mission station was not ordered by King Cetshwayo, as the audience is led to believe in the film. Cetshwayo had specifically told his warriors not to invade Natal, the British Colony. The attack was led by Prince Dabulamanzi kaMpande, the King's half-brother, who pursued fleeing survivors at Isandlwana across the river and then moved on to attack Rorke's Drift. Although almost 20,000 rounds of ammunition were fired by the defenders, only about 375 dead Zulus were found at Rorkes Drift; however, scores of Zulu dead were found further afield (dying from wounds or finished off by their own side), which suggests that about 500 Zulus died and about a further 500 were wounded. Zulus feared the bayonet more than the bullet, and most had died without being shot.

Ending

The ending of the film is somewhat fictitious. There was no Zulu attack at dawn on 23 January 1879, which in the film led to the singing of "Men of Harlech". There was only sparse fighting with a few remaining Zulus.

However at roughly 7:00 am, an Impi of Zulus suddenly appeared, and the British manned their positions again. No attack materialized, as the Zulus had been on the move for six days prior to the battle. In their ranks were hundreds of wounded, and they were several days march from any supplies.

Around 8:00 am, another force appeared, and the defenders abandoned their breakfast to man their position again. However the force turned out to be the vanguard of Lord Chelmsford's relief column.

The Zulus did not sing a song saluting fellow warriors, and they did not depart peacefully. They departed at the approach of the British relief column.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulu_(1964_film)

Last edited by Mike_2817 on 20/7/2013, 09:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

Number of posts : 232
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime20/7/2013, 01:53

I fully enjoyed that movie even though I was so young.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime20/7/2013, 09:37

[quote="Mike_2817"]Historical inaccuracies

I think the film was better !

Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime20/7/2013, 17:27

Done a bit our Frankie ..

Len (Ciphers)

Frank Bourne
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frank Bourne

Born
27 April 1854
Balcombe, England
Died
8 May 1945 (aged 91)
Beckenham, London, England
Buried at
Beckenham Crematorium and Cemetery
Allegiance
 United Kingdom
Service/branch
British Army
Years of service
1872 - 1907, 1914 - 1918
Rank
Lieutenant Colonel
Unit
24th Regiment of Foot
Battles/wars
Anglo-Zulu War
Battle of Rorke's Drift
World War I
Awards
Officer of the Order of the British Empire
Distinguished Conduct Medal

Lieutenant-Colonel Frank Edward Bourne OBE DCM (April 1854 – 8 May 1945) was a decorated British soldier who participated in the defence of Rorke's Drift during the 1879 Anglo-Zulu War. He was also the last known survivor of the battle.

Early life
Born in Balcombe, Sussex, England in 1854, Bourne enlisted in the Army at Reigate on 18 December 1872, aged 18 years 8 months. Four years later he had been promoted to Colour Sergeant becoming the youngest NCO of his rank in the entire British Army. This earned him the nickname 'The Kid'.
Rorke's Drift
On 22 and 23 January 1879, Bourne was part of the garrison at Rorke's Drift, Natal, South Africa, which held off a Zulu army. Bourne, who was now an NCO in B Company, 2nd Battalion, 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot, helped organise the defence at the mission station and field hospital. Throughout the day and night of the battle, the Zulus made repeated attacks against the barricades, but the outnumbered defenders held out until relief arrived.
For his bravery, Bourne received the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) for "outstanding coolness and courage" during the battle, with a £10 annual annuity. The DCM, until 1993, was the second highest military decoration (after the Victoria Cross) awarded to other ranks of the British Army. He was offered a commission, but "being an eighth son, and the family exchequer ... empty", he declined it.
Later career
After Rorke's Drift, Frank Bourne served in British India and Burma, being promoted to Quartermaster-Sergeant in 1884. He was commissioned in 1890. He was appointed Adjutant of the School of Musketry at Hythe, Kent, and retired in 1907. At the outbreak of the First World War, he re-enlisted. By 1918, he had been given the honorary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and made an OBE.
Bourne lived in retirement at 16 King's Hall Road, Beckenham, Kent. He was the last surviving defender from Rorke's Drift, dying on VE Day (8 May 1945), at the age of 91. Bourne was buried in Beckenham Crematorium and Cemetery.
Film portrayal[edit]
In the 1964 film Zulu, Bourne was played by Nigel Green. Green was considerably older (about 40 years old) and taller than Bourne, who was 24 and 5' 6" (1.68 m) at the time of the battle.
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime20/7/2013, 18:03

On closer inspection it looks like both medals worn by Frank Bourne bear Queen Victoria's image.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime20/7/2013, 18:09

ciphers wrote:
On closer inspection it looks like both medals worn by Frank Bourne bear Queen Victoria's image.

Len (Ciphers)

Lets see;Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Bourne
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 11:02

*WARNING ORDER*

BBC2, Today 1210 hrs.

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty".

(I hate Danny Kaye!)
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 12:10

Is it really Danny Kaye or somebody pretending to be him?Suspect Suspect 
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 12:45

scratch Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 15:31

There is a blue circular plaque on the wall of 16 Kings Hall Road in Beckenham. The house is a typical late Victorian/early Edwardian suburban house.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 15:44

Goldmohur wrote:
There is a blue circular plaque on the wall of 16 Kings Hall Road in Beckenham. The house is a typical late Victorian/early Edwardian suburban house.

These departures from the thread are becoming more and more obscure!Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 15:56

Goldmohur wrote:

Wie bitte ? study 

Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 16:07

Shelldrake wrote:
Goldmohur wrote:

These departures from the thread are becoming more and more obscure!Rolling Eyes 

OH goody I do so love a jigsaw puzzle, so lets start guessing shall we;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Bourne

South African Zulu war, lived at 16 King's Hall Road, Beckenham and is buried in Beckenham Cemetery.
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 16:12

Come on chaps, thinking caps on.
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 16:44

C Sgt Frank Bourne of Rorkes Drift fame lived there.
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 16:55

BobG wrote:
C Sgt Frank Bourne of Rorkes Drift fame lived there.

Well you and I did not so that eliminates two other possibles hey? LOL
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 17:05

I'm pretty sure that Danny Kaye was born there?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Walter Mittys.
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next