BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Shelldrake
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2991
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   7/7/2013, 13:49

The Lowland Gunners!! Laughing Laughing Laughing  I remember it well, had to get the Recce Transport to Soltau after that!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hussar100
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 83
Cap Badge : QRIH/UDR
Places Served : NI, GB, BAOR
Registration date : 2013-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   8/7/2013, 09:30

brum wrote:
steve1226 wrote:

young officer type fired a 120mm blank from a centurion

I don't recall the Cent having a 120mm gun, 105mm mayhap?

D'ya know I didn't notice that. and me an old tank man! Mad 

You're quite correct thought; Cent was a Vickers 105mm QF. It was the Conk which had the 120mm in those days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   8/7/2013, 10:40

Hussar,

Any truth in the old rumour that there were a few tanks buried in a bog on Soltau? They couldn't get them out so let them sink. That one was rife in the mid to late sixties. I also heard versions where the ARV was in there as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   8/7/2013, 10:43

[/quote]

Maybe it was a Chieftain. When did they come in? I think 9/12th had them in Osnabruck in sometime between 65 and 68
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hussar100
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   8/7/2013, 10:53

steve1226 wrote:
Hussar,

Any truth in the old rumour that there were a few tanks buried in a bog on Soltau? They couldn't get them out so let them sink. That one was rife in the mid to late sixties. I also heard versions where the ARV was in there as well!

Another rumour I've heard too mate. Can't confirm or deny it, other than to say I heard they were Cents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hussar100
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   8/7/2013, 11:01

steve1226 wrote:

Maybe it was a Chieftain. When did they come in? I think 9/12th had them in Osnabruck in sometime between 65 and 68

Conks had them first.  Cents couldn't be modified to take the 120mm so the powers that be had the Conk designed with it and attached a troop of these to every Cent regiment as "heavies".

It's not the same gun as was in Chieftain though which was just coming into service in that period.  The Conk's gun had a single cartridge so was technically a Quick Firer too.  With Chieftain the L11A1 only had a 14in recoil with only about 18 inches between the breech and the back of the turret, there was no room for swinging 12omm cartridges into place.  What they did with the L11 was to use split ammunition like the navy or dropshorts use.  Projectile first, then bag charge, topped off with a wee brass cartridge about the size of a .303 rimfire which was magazine fed into the back of the breech block venturi and it was that which set the whole shebang off.

Challenger still uses that system which is one of the reasons it doesn't sell well overseas - adjusting to split ammunition seems to be a problem for Choggies so they won't buy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   13/7/2013, 15:19

The 120mm Tank Gun used a 'Tube Vent Electric .625"' and the size more mor akin to a .50" Round!

Hussar100
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   13/7/2013, 15:35

Mike_2817 wrote:

The 120mm Tank Gun used a 'Tube Vent Electric .625"' and the size more mor akin to a .50" Round!

Nah, nowhere near the size of a .50. More like a fat .303. Remember I was surrounded by the flipping things in my position as loader/operator.

We loaded a magazine of 20 of these things which fitted under the breech and after shoving the projectile up the barrel the procedure was to hit the white "mushroom" at the back of the breech which initiated the plunger and shoved a vent tube in, after which you grabbed a bag charge and shoved it up after the projectile with much gusto before closing the breech and deploying the shield.

It's still easy to remember these repetitive tasks which we learned "parrot fashion". Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   13/7/2013, 17:28

steve1226 wrote:

Maybe it was a Chieftain. When did they come in? I think 9/12th had them in Osnabruck in sometime between 65 and 68[/quote]

I can't say when the Chieftain came on general issue but do remember a time when Profumo, (defence minister), came out to visit a very demoralised BAOR and we all gathered at a RV alongside the Soltau road so that he could have a look at us. At this RV was a Chieftain, first one we'd ever seen, I remember being struck by its low silhouette.
Shortly after that the Profumo Affair blew up and he was out of office but he did get us some improvements before he went.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   13/7/2013, 17:40

steve1226 wrote:
Hussar,

Having watched the Donkey Wallopers slinging themselves, with gay abandon, into the Schwinndebeck I would attach a lot of credence to that "rumour" steve.
Having said that, I can't imagine the recovery chappies giving up on the job somehow, expensive things tanks !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases   

Back to top Go down

Rail facilities at BAOR and RAF bases
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3