BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 26 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
July 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      
CalendarCalendar
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 
 

 RBL poppy crescents ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pete26
Capt
Capt


Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: RBL poppy crescents ?   18/10/2012, 18:32


That's correct the Royal British Legion is selling Poppy crescents.


http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/support-us/shop-online
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigmal
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 296
Age : 59
Localisation : Worksop, Notts
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   18/10/2012, 19:30

What`s that all about then?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   18/10/2012, 23:15

Probably to cater for our muslim friends...I notice there is no poppy on it...
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   18/10/2012, 23:43


Hang about just a cotton pickin' minute,

Poppy Crescent ? Didn't she do remarkable things with a pickled gherkin in the Silver Oyster, in Colchester ?

(Aahem, not a word to the Memsahb, of course, harumph !).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 279
Localisation : Glesga
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   19/10/2012, 00:02

I have just seen the item on the RBL link.Why on earth do they have to have variations of the poppy.Surely the poppy was a symbol of the First World War adopted by the RBL to remember those who have fallen serving their country.So why the crescent? Yes Muslims fought and died for us during the wars and of course lately Iraq and Afghanistan they contributed also.There are many others who have served and died for democracy around the world. So why don't we just have the same poppy as we have had over the decades to remember the fallen.Methinks political interference here folks. Wink Wink Forgot to mention folks,the poppy crescent does not have a poppy it is only a wooden crescent........Why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   19/10/2012, 00:08

Quote :
Hang about just a cotton pickin' minute,

Poppy Crescent ? Didn't she do remarkable things with a pickled gherkin in the Silver Oyster, in Colchester ?

(Aahem, not a word to the Memsahb, of course, harumph !).


Brum.....Could you elaborate please????
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
avatar

Number of posts : 2991
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   19/10/2012, 05:17

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Hang about just a cotton pickin' minute,

Poppy Crescent ? Didn't she do remarkable things with a pickled gherkin in the Silver Oyster, in Colchester ?

(Aahem, not a word to the Memsahb, of course, harumph !).


Brum.....Could you elaborate please????




I'm sure he means the Spitfire Casino, Famagusta. (So I've heard) Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   19/10/2012, 08:51

Quote :
Why on earth do they have to have variations of the poppy

It`s not the poppy that`s in question Tam.It`s the stick its mounted on..Trying to keep all religions happy methinks.. affraid
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 279
Localisation : Glesga
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   19/10/2012, 10:33

The stick Gordon has no poppy on it why?It is the only one without it.The poppy is the symbol of remembrance not the stick or crescent m8.What are the RBL saying by including a stick but not a poppy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   19/10/2012, 13:14

Don`t know tam...Might be an oversight.
Back to top Go down
pete26
Capt
Capt


Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   19/10/2012, 14:57

Gordon. wrote:
Don`t know tam...Might be an oversight.

An oversight ? Don't be daft mate.

It's the creeping political correctness disease appearing again..

It will be those 'officer types' at the top of the RBL who live in their own bubble away from the real world.

Political correctness , or to give it it's real name, 'cultural marxism', is destroying our country.

It's this sort of stuff that would prevent me from 'joining up again' which is the title of another thread on here.



They tried to implement this stuff at our local RBL a few years ago.

They (the politicians) tried to lay a wreath just for the muslims at our Remembrance Sunday service.

It split the ex-forces community from top to bottom, and the RBL hardly exists anymore locally. It was pushed at that time by the then local Labour MP and her committee friends in one local association.

It was just a case of the local MP trying to get her face in the papers and get the large asian vote for herself. Nothing to do with soldiers sacrifices in 2 World Wars and since.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 279
Localisation : Glesga
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   20/10/2012, 00:51

Yes folks this is a political move on the part of the RBL no doubt.As Pete 26 says, it is those Officer types in the Legion who have landed a cushy job when they left and still think they are still serving and that we should obey their commands to carryout their stupid wishes.As for the RBL well I support the poppy because I care about the ex service folk who are finding it hard in civvy street to exist.Its a sad indictment that serving your country leads to some folk struggling
and relying on charities to help them when it is the government that should be taking care of us when we get problems.But you only have to look how this country treated those surviving WW1 and WW2,Korea,Borneo,Aden, NI,Falklands, Iraq and now Afghanistan.They taking back peoples war pensions etc if you show any sign of improvement in your circumstances.They send Billions to countries who have nuclear weapons and space programmes but they cannot help those who have served.Just remember to ask your nice local MP the next time you get an opportunity to speak to him.What the f**k have you or your party done to help the ex service community.I put on my voting card "none of these f***ing idiots".Here endeth the lesson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigmal
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 296
Age : 59
Localisation : Worksop, Notts
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   22/10/2012, 16:25

rucjock21, I couldn`t agree more with what you said, veterans have always had the short end of the stick.

I get a War Disability Pension and I am also unemployed and have to sign on for JSA.

The Barstewards now dock about 33% of my JSA .

Life can `suck` as a vet.

With crocked knees and my age the chances of me finding a job are probably nil.

Sorry, rant over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 279
Localisation : Glesga
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   23/10/2012, 00:18

Bigmal,Like you,I too have a WP for injuries sustained in service @ 50% I attended medicals,for my injuries and hearing tests.One thing I took a great interest in and that was the ability of the MOD and the units I served with to conveniently lose medical records of my medical conditions.You are treated like a liar by WPA in Blackpool and you struggle to convince them that your probs happened in service.I have spinal probs requiring surgery,hip problems,knee problems, hearing probs and shoulder probs.The amount of a WP is simply not enough to pay bills and it is a constant worry.I live in a veterans house which is poorly maintained by the local council who send idiots to carry out repairs but have to return at a later date to fix the problem that they should have done right at the start.I have written to the MP who is charged with veterans affairs but he only sent back the usual letter don't ask me I'm only a politician who gets paid for sitting on his a**e and doing nothing but pass the buck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 1026
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   23/10/2012, 01:14

rucjock21 wrote:
Bigmal,Like you,I too have a WP for injuries sustained in service @ 50% I attended medicals,for my injuries and hearing tests.One thing I took a great interest in and that was the ability of the MOD and the units I served with to conveniently lose medical records of my medical conditions.You are treated like a liar by WPA in Blackpool and you struggle to convince them that your probs happened in service.I have spinal probs requiring surgery,hip problems,knee problems, hearing probs and shoulder probs.The amount of a WP is simply not enough to pay bills and it is a constant worry.I live in a veterans house which is poorly maintained by the local council who send idiots to carry out repairs but have to return at a later date to fix the problem that they should have done right at the start.I have written to the MP who is charged with veterans affairs but he only sent back the usual letter don't ask me I'm only a politician who gets paid for sitting on his a**e and doing nothing but pass the buck.

Just a minute rucjock, are you talking about British MP's or Canadian MP'. Oh my Lord. You mean that both in Candada and Britain politicians think alike. Now isn't that wierd. To think that politicians of our two countries would see veterans as scum of the earth. To just sit in Parliament and wait out their time to get a gold plated pension. Naw that can't be possible. They are there to serve their fellow country man. To make a better life for veterans. To recognize that we were people who signed a blank check to serve their country in the military in any way they were needed. Why I'm sure that any politician worth his salt would stand up and demand better recognition of veterans when neccesary. Why on Nov 11 they will beat their chests, cry huge tears of sorrow, wear a poppy and declare their out standing record in defending veterans.

Ah well, we all know all fairy tales must come to an end. As usual veterans will turn into pumpkins at the stroke of mid-night of Nov 11. To be forgotten until the next time political points must be made.

One must remember politicians and diapers are similar. They must be changed often and both for the same reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigmal
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 296
Age : 59
Localisation : Worksop, Notts
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   23/10/2012, 19:40

I am a 20%er according to the veterans agency for problems with one of my knees, but all i will say on that subject is that my other knee didn`t just go bad out of sympathy for the other one.

I have problems walking, I have to go slow or my knees give way, they give way often enough when walking slow though, I have problems ascending and descending stairs and steps, have trouble carrying anything heavier than a shopping bag for any distance, and yet i don`t meet the criteria for ESA or DLA etc and have to sign on for JSA or get nothing.

Like i say, life for some vets does suck.

Malc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 279
Localisation : Glesga
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   23/10/2012, 22:52

Since the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Help for Heroes has been highlighted in the media and everywhere else.But have you noticed that those veterans of both world wars,Korea,Borneo Aden,Falklands,NI have been sort of forgotten and those who have been injured during their service whether it was active service or not have definitely been forgotten.Because I don't see WW2,etc personnel heading for the big hospital in Birmingham for treatment.Maybe someone will correct me on that one. I have been speaking to WW2 vets and Korean vets and they are just getting on with life and struggling badly.One other topic of assistance I forgot to mention folks and that is SSAFA.I approached the Army Benevolent Fund for help to purchase a rising recliner chair.I was subjected to a means test and I had to disclose all my personal details including bank details so that they could check that I was not harbouring secret funds somewhere in my overseas accounts.This Benevolent Fund passed my request over to my former regimental association for action.I was fortunate that a friend had heard that I needed a chair and he duly bought one for me and I subsequently telephoned SSAFA not to pursue my request for assistance.


Last edited by rucjock21 on 27/10/2012, 04:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to mention some other relate facts.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pete26
Capt
Capt


Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   27/10/2012, 00:12

rucjock21 wrote:
Since the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Help for Heroes has been highlighted in the media and everywhere else.But have you noticed that those veterans of both world wars,Korea,Borneo Aden,Falklands,NI have been sort of forgotten and those who have been injured during their service whether it was active service or not have definitely been forgotten.Because I don't see WW2,etc personnel heading for the big hospital in Birmingham for treatment.Maybe someone will correct me one that as I have been speaking to WW2 vets and Korean vets and they are just getting on with life and struggling badly.

I was at a local Parachute Reg Assoc meeting some months ago.

They said, and gave evidence, that the 'Help for Heroes' is actually harming other ex-forces assocs who really do deserve more help. Apparently HfH has £millions lying in the bank.

They said HfH is sucking all the money in, and there's nowt for the rest.

While it's great the public get behind the forces and ex-forces, there should be some way of spreading round the largesse so that those in need get help ?

I mean, apparently, a large percentage of homeless in the Uk are ex-forces. What is that all about ?

And also, that a growing number of lads in jail are ex-forces. Some studies should be done and help provided where necessary.

I think that PTSD is involved in the above.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 279
Localisation : Glesga
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   27/10/2012, 05:04

I am in a veterans house due to circumstances way beyond my control.Both my wife and I were staying with my wife's aunt in her own detached villa in a residential part of town.In 2009 the aunt was incresingly becoming forgetful and we had to call the doc in.He sent her for tests and it turned out that she had an early form of Alzheimers which required her to move into a care home.Her home which we were living in, was to be sold in order to pay for her care and we were subsequently asked to get out thus making my wife and I homeless.I approached the House for Heroes Association in Edinburgh for help and to give the association there due they came up with a house for us.My main point of complaint is that the houses that this association has on its books would be classified as sub-standard if we were serving, hence the fact that my rent is a bit lower than the local council.The local council maintain these houses and the association pays them for the work carried out.But since we moved in to the house we have had to call on the council on numerous occasions to carry out repair and maintenance.The Housing (Scotland) Act requires all social housing to be upgraded.This means that we can have new kitchens,bathroom,new central heating system etc before the new law comes into force in April 2015.This all depends on the association having funds available to have their housing stock upgraded.My house has already had a kitchen installed in 2010.But the installation of my new central heating boiler has been put on hold yet again all due to the lack of funds so I'm told.This housing association is a charity I might add folks and it spends a lot of money on new build projects and upgrading houses for those disabled vets who badly need their homes upgraded to facilitate their special needs.I want some government minister to come to my home and others homes to see for themselves what we need to do to bring our homes up to the 21st Century standard.These houses were built back in the 1950's and are badly need of repair internally and externally.So folks that is the reality of veterans needing help in a big way and that help must come from central government now and not reliant on the goodwill of the people of the country to help by giving their hardearned cash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pete26
Capt
Capt


Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   29/10/2012, 01:36

rucjock21 wrote:
I am in a veterans house due to circumstances way beyond my control.Both my wife and I were staying with my wife's aunt in her own detached villa in a residential part of town.In 2009 the aunt was incresingly becoming forgetful and we had to call the doc in.He sent her for tests and it turned out that she had an early form of Alzheimers which required her to move into a care home.Her home which we were living in, was to be sold in order to pay for her care and we were subsequently asked to get out thus making my wife and I homeless.I approached the House for Heroes Association in Edinburgh for help and to give the association there due they came up with a house for us.My main point of complaint is that the houses that this association has on its books would be classified as sub-standard if we were serving, hence the fact that my rent is a bit lower than the local council.The local council maintain these houses and the association pays them for the work carried out.But since we moved in to the house we have had to call on the council on numerous occasions to carry out repair and maintenance.The Housing (Scotland) Act requires all social housing to be upgraded.This means that we can have new kitchens,bathroom,new central heating system etc before the new law comes into force in April 2015.This all depends on the association having funds available to have their housing stock upgraded.My house has already had a kitchen installed in 2010.But the installation of my new central heating boiler has been put on hold yet again all due to the lack of funds so I'm told.This housing association is a charity I might add folks and it spends a lot of money on new build projects and upgrading houses for those disabled vets who badly need their homes upgraded to facilitate their special needs.I want some government minister to come to my home and others homes to see for themselves what we need to do to bring our homes up to the 21st Century standard.These houses were built back in the 1950's and are badly need of repair internally and externally.So folks that is the reality of veterans needing help in a big way and that help must come from central government now and not reliant on the goodwill of the people of the country to help by giving their hardearned cash.

'They' conned us with the 'land fit for heroes' rubbish just after WW1 mate.

My Grandad was a POW in WW1. Lost sight in one eye permanently, due to gas attack.Suffered with unemployment during the 'Great Depression'. Both my parents who are still alive, served in WW2. Mum in ATS, and Dad served, including D-Day +3.

My late brother was murdered 10 years ago by immigrants who should not have been here. He did several tours of Ulster in the 70's and eventually was awarded a War pension via having severe PTSD.Them feckers robbed him of all his money and beat him up over several weeks.

And now recently, I read that our politicians were conniving behind our backs in Ulster. So that we now have Adams and McGuinness running the show over there.

Makes my blood boil mate.



Back to top Go down
View user profile
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 279
Localisation : Glesga
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   29/10/2012, 12:56

Pete26, So sorry to hear about you late brother my friend you have my sincerest condolences.You wonder what fighting wars are all about these days.Democracy,Freedoms the right to live your life the way you want and to protect your loved ones from harm.All governments are devious in their dealings with people like the IRA/Loyalists,and any other terrorist organisations around the globe.I for one would never ever advocate to any young person to join the armed forces nowadays purely because of the crap that I have had over the years from their support mechanisms.Yes former IRA men in government and also former Loyalist gunmen in government also. So you see it is a conspiracy really.You have to keep these organisations sweet in order to keep the peace.Look at the back door dealing that was done at Sunningdale when terrorists were flown over to England to speak to government men who were trying to broker a peace deal.If it works and the killings stop then it must be good for us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: RBL poppy crescents ?   

Back to top Go down
 
RBL poppy crescents ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» RBL poppy crescents ?
» Poppy
» Rank
» T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November
» veterans badge

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: