BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 43 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 43 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Carry on SGT

Go down 
+10
Goldmohur
Chemist
rucjock21
brum
steve
unclevanya
cartav
gingerjim
Shelldrake
"john boy"
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Carry on SGT - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/2/2013, 14:29

unclevanya..The good conduct stripes were awarded for 2.5, 5, and 10 years then in multiples of 5 years.They could only be worn by L/Cpl and below.I took mine down when i arrived at 7 Sigs..

When i passed my T2 I wore a "flying T" above my tapes ..right arm.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/2/2013, 16:08

And scrolling back to Dan M's GSM pic with Near East clasp.......... Is our Queen improperly dressed when she's sporting a King's crown, not one of those down-in -the middle golden bonnets like we had to adopt after 1952 ?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/2/2013, 17:03

[quote="Gordon."]The good conduct stripes were awarded for 2.5, 5, and 10 years then in multiples of 5 years.They could only be worn by L/Cpl and below.

Thanks Gordon
So I was due my first GC stripe around the time No2 Dress came in, I always wondered about that. At the time it was generally thought that the first one came up after three years.
The stripes ceased to be, on the new uniform, but Trade and skill at arms badges continued.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/2/2013, 08:41

In the battledress days, sleeve adornments seem to have been a unit thing from my recollection. I can't remember GC chevs on any arm in 16 RA though quite a few would have qualified. The only additions in prominence were Regt Sigs. crossed flags whilst other regts in the garrison allowed, or encouraged, the wreathed As or Bs for suitably qualified tradesmen. I can remember seeing a winged "DR" on a Don Rs arm, but that was unusual. Infantry wore the marksman's crossed rifles, but we didn't. When the subject was raised it was dismissed with a sneered " We're gunners lad, not an effing Boy Scout troop ".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/2/2013, 15:11

gingerjim wrote:
staughton barracks , i feel sure that was the wrac barracks , if you notice the wrac band led the passing out parade , ginger

It was actually called Stoughton Barracks and was formerly The Depot, The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey). Largely redeveloped although a few of the original buildings exist.

The WRAC depot was a separate camp (Queen Elizabeth Barracks) rebuilt in about 1964 and about a mile north of Stoughton Barracks. The QE Barracks site is now a housing estate.
Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

Number of posts : 136
Cap Badge : The Royal Canadian Regiment
Places Served : 1977-80, London ON, Gagetown NB
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/2/2013, 01:03

Gordon. wrote:
The good conduct stripes were awarded for 2.5, 5, and 10 years then in multiples of 5 years. They could only be worn by L/Cpl and below.
While reading the personal blog of an old soldier named Bill Griffiths, I came across the following information on one soldier's Good Conduct chevrons. The soldier in question in the photo below is Private Arthur Carter, a member of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry. The photo was taken at Copthorne Barracks (the KSLI Depot) circa 1948.

Carry on SGT - Page 2 PteNickCarter1-custom-size-201-142

From the photo caption: Private Arthur (Nick) Carter served in the KSLI for 50 years from 1901-1951. He saw active service during the Boer War in South Africa and also in France during the First World War. On his left arm he is wearing ten good conduct stripes, the most ever awarded to anyone in the British Army. When he was discharged in 1951 he was the oldest serving soldier and had remained a private soldier from his own choice. Talking to Private Carter is the Earl of Povis, who was Lord Lieutenant of Shropshire. To his left is Major General Grover, and on the far right is Lt. Col. Shaw-Ball. After Private Carter was discharged, he lived in a rented room opposite his old Barracks.

The writer of the blog, Bill Griffiths, reported to Copthorne Barracks as a 15-year old Boy Soldier volunteer in May of 1946. His first encounter with Private Carter went as follows;
On arrival at the Quartermaster's store, I was surprised to see what I considered to be quite an old chap behind the counter. He had lots of stripes upside down on one sleeve, and I was told that these were known as service stripes, and represented numbers of years service, and this chap I was told was one of the oldest serving private soldiers in the British Army. Nick Carter was his name, but here was another chap who had to be called ‘Sir’ out of respect for his age and experience.

He proceeded to throw equipment and clothing onto the counter, which I was told to stuff quickly into the kit bag, which was the first item given to me. The old boy kept muttering about how small I was and ‘how was he supposed to kit out midgets, from the kit available to him’ . But he continued to find stuff from all corners of the store, and kept on throwing it onto the counter, and I kept stuffing it into my kit bag. I thought, how the hell am I going to carry all this lot? and he hadn’t finished yet. He had got to the stage of finding a uniform for me. He looked puzzled. "We don’t have battledress to fit midgets" he said. "How tall are you"? "Four foot ten" I replied. I gathered from his conversation with another chap in the store that there was nothing anywhere near my size, and that I would have to be taken to the regimental tailor who would have to conjure up something for me. In a funny sort of way, I felt quite pleased with myself, here I was, not even one whole day in the army, and it seemed as though I was one up on their system, but to be fair, I suppose I was extra small, and I recalled how my choirmaster Sir Percy Hull, had always called me midget!!

If anyone wishes to read more of Bill's Army adventures, he served 38 years before retiring as a WO II from the same Copthorne Barracks in 1984, they can be found here.

Cheers,
Dan.
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Carry on SGT - Page 2 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/5/2013, 15:29

http://www.rememberingscotlandatwar.org.uk/Accessible/Exhibition/179/It-made-you-fit

Can't find the National Service thread but check this out
Back to top Go down
Pborn3
WOI
WOI
Pborn3

Number of posts : 134
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Oswestry, Paderborn, Barnard Castle, Catterick, NI, Bristol, Cyprus, Munsterlager, NI,Sennelager , NI , Rge Control/STC Sennelager/ GSU Sennelager as Civvy
Registration date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/2/2017, 18:57

To return to the original thread:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051453/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt

Last edited by Pborn3 on 16/2/2017, 18:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/2/2017, 11:10

I can remember a few years ago, i got a temporary civie job in a local Army Recruting Office where I live (Caesaromagus 20 klicks from Camoludunum, East Angular). I got a tad confused over the rank slides that soldier wear nowadays on the their cammo Army fatiques. I found it a tad difficult differentiating a WO2 and a Major. Both rank slides had a crown. So was the WO2 rank crown a bit larger than the officer's one?

Being slighty short sighted, at my age I got a bit confused at times. Such are the passing of the years, the joys of getting old. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

Number of posts : 136
Cap Badge : The Royal Canadian Regiment
Places Served : 1977-80, London ON, Gagetown NB
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/2/2017, 16:08

unclevanya wrote:
I found it a tad difficult differentiating a WO2 and a Major. Both rank slides had a crown. So was the WO2 rank crown a bit larger than the officer's one?

The exact same problem currently exists in the Canadian Army.  The insignia for both a Major and a Warrant Officer is a crown.  In a uniform that does not use rank slides the Major wears his (or her) crown on the shoulder, while the Warrant Officer wears it on the sleeve.  Just like the Brits.

On a rank slide the only difference (it's the same crown for both) is that the Warrant Officer's crown is bigger (As it should be!).

I'm sure there's been events where hilarity has ensued.

Cheers,
Dan.
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 98
Cap Badge : OX2 9BU
Places Served : B.A.O.R. Uk. Aden. Libya. +
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/4/2017, 15:13

Gents.

Today as I feel many of you will be aware of is Anzac Day.

I Paraded with The RBL -Riders Oxon @ The Commonwealth War Graves site here in Botley.Oxford.

A small Gathering but I was proud to have stood there.

Regards to all Looking in.

We Will Remember Them.

John.
Oxford.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry Gents......I have posted this up on the wrong thread ..should have been Gen/Info.. !!! Perhaps The Management can help me here. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/4/2017, 17:22

Good on ya, Cobber.
Len
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carry on SGT   Carry on SGT - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carry on SGT
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-