BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 47 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Identification of Regt from WW1

Go down 
+7
Dan M
alan8376
BigJock
Shelldrake
cartav
brum
ciphers
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Identification of Regt from WW1 Empty
PostSubject: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime15/3/2013, 23:16

A buddy of mine is researching his father and is trying to identify this regiment. I have searched literally thousands of photo's from that period, Infantry, Light Infantry, Territorial, Militia and Yeomanry to no avail ... any suggestions.
Uniform is fancy and he is carrying a walking out stick .. collar dog seems to be possibly a lion.

Len (Ciphers)

photo photo_zpsacfa2faa.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 11:01

Now that's a strange one !

There's a Victorian feel to the picture but I don't think the badge is from any British regt.
There were a lot of marching bands in existence around that time, I've seen pictures of bands that were created by workers at the Crewe railway works that would make your hair curl !
That uniform is too well made to be one of those though.

In my opinion, if that's a real military uniform then the regiment must be one from the Commonwealth.

Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 11:20

[quote="brum"]
Now that's a strange one !

There's a Victorian feel to the picture but I don't think the badge is from any British regt.............[quote]

Agree with some of your conclusions Brum......... those wings on the shoulder look like adornments worn by musicians and the animals on the collar dogs almost look like Assyrian lions. But if Cipher's & his mate are the same age, the mate's father isn't likely to be in uniform when Victoria was in charge. I bet there's something on Google about Brit Army badges, though. That might be worthy of a look.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 12:31

I would also agree that his epaulettes indicates that he was musician, he is also wearing aiguillettes similar to those worn by NCOs of the Life Guards - in this case as issued to a full corporal. This website may provide the answer:-

http://ibew.org.uk/vbbp-uk.htm

As an afterthought, the belt attachment looks like a support for a drum.

Last edited by Shelldrake on 16/3/2013, 12:38; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 12:31

I would agree with cartav, he looks like a bandsman and the collar badge looks more like a dog on a leaf to me.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 13:14

Last letter on shoulder badge =G
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 16:31

Thanks for your input guy's, I have trolled through hundreds of pages of badges on Google, even better Yahoo, Bing etc with no luck. Also I did consider Company Bands but the rank structure put me off. As my buddy is very close to my age, 80 this year I'm thinking that the photo may be post WW1. I will recheck some of the info I have and soldier on ... it keeps me off the streets.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 17:12

ciphers wrote:
Thanks for your input guy's, I have trolled through hundreds of pages of badges on Google, even better Yahoo, Bing etc with no luck...........

I did a quick shufti for badges too, Len....... There are dozens & dozens as you will have found out. Lots in the Yeomanry sector are for local regts which no longer exist and I suspect some of the infantry reserve units are in the same category. Then there's all the colonial stuff too, which might not be classed as Brit. in Google. Do you have any idea of the background of the one in the pic ? If he was from a known area in UK, or elsewhere abroad, it could point us to units with connections to a particular location. Some of my lot, for instance, were in the Guernsey Militia in the late 1800s & pre-WW1. They had their own badges but I bet they aren't on the web.

And, yes, that animal has a dog-like tail......... Stretches the imagination a bit but, if it's a fox, it could suggest a badge of a Yeomanry outfit, a local reserve regt.rather than the regs.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 17:27

cartav, have asked my pal to try to send a better photo, this one was from his iPhone with better information. His family lived in the London area, I have checked all known London, City of London etc regiments. I'm on a listening watch from my friend.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

Number of posts : 136
Cap Badge : The Royal Canadian Regiment
Places Served : 1977-80, London ON, Gagetown NB
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 19:08

I've been looking at the badge above the Corporal's stripes. To me, it looks like two bugles, crossed at the mouthpiece, surmounted by a six-point star. See third from right below (crossed bugles but minus the star).

Identification of Regt from WW1 Brass4a

The site that his photo is from states that it is for a Bugle-Major, but doesn't identify a Regiment or Corps.

Further research has lead me to believe that the crossed bugle badge is obsolete, having been replaced by a single bugle to denote the same appointment.

I'm still looking.

Cheers,
Dan.
Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 19:49

Two points. First, upon further reflection and a closer look, I don't believe that there is a star above the bugle major's badge. I think it was just the bugle cords causing the optical appearance of a star.

Second, does the collar badge not closely resemble the one for this Regiment? I know it's not exact, but it could also explain the letter G on the epaulette. And, if the British Army is anything like the Canadian, Signal Regiments have bugle bands.

Cheers,
Dan.

Identification of Regt from WW1 OXFYT66
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime16/3/2013, 21:46

Thank's for your input Dan .. I'm trying to elicit more info from my friend ... will keep at it

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime17/3/2013, 09:13

I'm wondering if the collar badge is a dog or fox on top of the New Zealand fern?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime17/3/2013, 09:45

Now you mention it, it does look like a fern leaf.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime17/3/2013, 11:38

The Collar Badge looks to me like some sort of bird, possibly a Pheasant or a Peacock?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime17/3/2013, 13:04

Quote :

Two points. First, upon further reflection and a closer look, I don't believe that there is a star above the bugle major's badge. I think it was just the bugle cords causing the optical appearance of a star.

Second, does the collar badge not closely resemble the one for this Regiment? I know it's not exact, but it could also explain the letter G on the epaulette. And, if the British Army is anything like the Canadian, Signal Regiments have bugle bands.

Cheers,
Dan.

Royal Signals were not formed untill 1920 Dan
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime17/3/2013, 15:44

He looks very young, is this maybe some sort of cadet force.
Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime17/3/2013, 22:52

Quote :
Royal Signals were not formed untill 1920 Dan

Really? We had a Corps of Signals in the Canadian Army from 1903.

But thanks for the info. Knowledgeable guys like you keep knowledgeably challenged guys like me on the straight and narrow.

Time to start looking for that damn collar badge again.

Cheers,
Dan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 07:55

good luck with the search Dan..i have been through thousands of badges and the closest i can get is the leicestershire regiment.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 11:33

Following the trail laid by Bigjock I've been searching for NZ cap badges etc, (not that there are many of them).
The fern leaf features large of course but never singly.
It's a pity my trusty books can't help this time but they only cover British badges.
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 11:41

A clearer image of the collar badge would help immensely.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 12:20

I'm going to stick my (sore) neck out here and take a punt at the Royal Yeomanry (formerley the Westminster Dragoons). Smile
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 13:29

BigJock wrote:
A clearer image of the collar badge would help immensely.

Reckon those shoulder titles might be the favourites if they can be enlarged & clarified. It certainly looks like a "G" for the last letter.......... Scuppers the Yeomanry guess Shelldrake, but I think a minor unit like that will be the one we're after.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 13:46

Quote :
I'm going to stick my (sore) neck out here and take a punt at the Royal Yeomanry (formerley the Westminster Dragoons).

Nope
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 14:02

Royal Geomanry?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Identification of Regt from WW1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next