BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 54 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 54 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Identification of Regt from WW1

Go down 
+7
Dan M
alan8376
BigJock
Shelldrake
cartav
brum
ciphers
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 14:21

He`s a drummer in some obscure unit...

Cool
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 14:37

1st or 2nd Bn?
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 15:20

Its not the Leicestershire Regiment, their Bengal Tiger had the word Hindoostan (Hindustan) in an arc above the beast
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/3/2013, 17:26

Shelldrake wrote:
Royal Geomanry?

Early member of a Long Range Desert Group ( following Sudan Campaign) ???
But seriously, maybe some sort of "Dragoon Guards "..........

But going back to Brum's Victorian theory and using toes as well as fingers in advanced mathematics, I suppose it could be possible the uniform's Edwardian if Cipher's mate's dad was in his fifties at conception..........we've all had mid life scares !

So Len, more answers please ! Did your mate have an elderly father and does he know if his dad was a regular or in a Volunteer reserve outfit ?

POSTSCRIPT......... as a possibe indication of the date of the photo,
it's recorded that the side hat ( the "Austrian Cap" ) was introduced into the Brit Army in 1896 and was withdrawn in 1902. Obviously, some may have been retained by units who had no intention of conforming, but they weren't around before 1896.. The headdress in khaki, associated with WW2, was reintroduced for all ranks in 1937. After the beret was adopted (1943 ?) commissioned ranks could acquire side caps at their own expense.

Looks like Brum had a point when he thought it might be around the end of the 19th Century. And is there any significance in that Austrian Knot ( or whatever) on the cuff of the sleeve ?
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2013, 09:20

I wonder if there is a Hertfordshire (north London) connection. The emblem of the county is a Hert (deer), badge might be deer with crown over the antlers, either that it is a mythical beast (eg Sphynx)
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2013, 10:29

Cast your eyes upon the belt buckle gents.
I was looking at the spot where somebody dropped a burger on the photo and (a) there's either scrolling or a letter "s" and (b) there's the outline of an animal - but not the same as on the collar badge.

I can't help but go down the same road as Bigjock. If he's a cadet ,and at some university or other, then I don't give much for our chances on this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2013, 10:58

The "S" could be a snake or a Serpent? and i thought the animal could could have been a scull
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2013, 12:36

brum wrote:

Just been having a good squint at that, I can make out a persons face just to the right - it looks like Albert Einstein.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2013, 12:38

I'll get me coat.
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2013, 13:53

brum wrote:

I was looking at the spot where somebody dropped a burger on the photo and (a) there's either scrolling or a letter "s" and (b) there's the outline of an animal - but not the same as on the collar badge.

I can't help but go down the same road as Bigjock. If he's a cadet ,and at some university or other, then I don't give much for our chances on this one.

I've had a go at improving the image in Photoshop, as it's low resolution there is not much I could do but the belt buckle looks to me like a deer or a fox.

Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Wertu
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2013, 14:55

Six English public schools had cadet contingents pre WW1..In 1914 they came under the wing of the War Office.None of them have badges anything like this.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2013, 18:01

Sorry for the silence, I was waiting for a better photo from my pal .. this is the best I can get it.
The same figure is also on the belt buckle but does not show well on a 'post'.
He was definitely WW1 aged 20 in 1914, was at the battle of Passchendaele.

Len (Ciphers)

photo IMG-Version3_zpsadaa2e4c.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2013, 09:04

Pity about th clarity of the shoulder titles, Len, but I'd put hard earned brass on the collar dog being a fox with a crown............. and that points to " Yeomanry" where the reserve regts were associated with and founded by the mounted huntin' & fishin' set.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2013, 09:40

Ciphers

Thanks for the latest photo of " the collar dogs"

Agree that the beast looks like a fox, is it a crown imediately above the fox's head, if so this indicates a Royal Regiment, in this case possibly Royal XXXXX Yeomanry
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2013, 14:48

[quote="JPW"]Ciphers

Thanks for the latest photo of " the collar dogs"

Agree that the beast looks like a fox, is it a crown imediately above the fox's head, if so this indicates a Royal Regiment,............. /quote]

If (If !) it is a crown, it could be something of less significance than a Royal topping........ something from the coat of arms of someone lower down the scale. And don't forget the "G" on the shoulder title.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2013, 15:22

The belt buckle is a crown with an animal of some sort underneath.The legs look to long to be a fox.I can`t get the head clear enough to mean anything but could be a dear.
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2013, 19:47

it looks like a stag to me , on the buckle , i think its a scottish regt. ginger
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2013, 20:23

Gordon. wrote:
The belt buckle is a crown with an animal of some sort underneath.The legs look to long to be a fox.I can`t get the head clear enough to mean anything but could be a dear.

Oh deer ! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2013, 22:29

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 07:31

Gordon. wrote:
I can`t get the head clear enough to mean anything but could be a dear.

Your head?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 08:13

That too. Laughing

Thought you would have legged it to your other home by now.Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Images-1_zps870ba80f
Back to top Go down
Cliffo
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 97
Cap Badge : RASC
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Duisdurg, Cyprus - Platres, Nicosia
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 10:31

Mind your spelling, Gordon! Using the word 'dear' on the subject of boy soldiers could be misconstrued - then you might end up on the page concerning 'inappropriate behaviour by officers etc'!!!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 13:03

Gordon. wrote:
That too. Laughing

Thought you would have legged it to your other home by now.Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Images-1_zps870ba80f

Laughing Not until the 16th of April, flight departs 2235 and arrives Cyprus 0530hrs, but who's counting? Might have to get some Russian Roubles to see me through to Kyrenia! sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
TonyE
WOI
WOI
TonyE

Number of posts : 112
Cap Badge : RASC & RCASC,later CF Logistics Branch
Places Served : Hannover, Bielefeld, Camp Borden, Camp Petawawa, CFB Kingston, Korea, Soest, Cyprus, Lahr.
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/3/2013, 22:06

If you have his sevvice number and any details of service,Passcendal eand year may help,there is a faciliyi in Ancestry.com for WW1 records
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime24/3/2013, 01:52

Sorry to say that his don has given up the quest ... so lets just close up the thread, it was beginning to wander anyway.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Identification of Regt from WW1   Identification of Regt from WW1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Identification of Regt from WW1
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2