BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 52 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 52 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

talking local

Go down 
+13
Stephen Lock
Dee Z
Hussar100
ciphers
Sgmn
cartav
steve jones
bigmal
brum
Shelldrake
rucjock21
JPW
"john boy"
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

talking local - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/8/2013, 12:48

ciphers wrote:
Worn with 'Jimmy' 1" above the left eye with the 'fullness' pulled down over the right EAR, were the instructions I go

Len (Ciphers)

Hmmmmm ! Hate to nit pick, Len, when we are sounding off about casual practices......... Left eye BROW I think, and certainly not Earhole like permitted today. Strange thing is that the Yanks, who seemed to be sloppy dressers at one time, have some sort of uniformity in how they cover their shaven skulls.

I remember we had some variations on the theme in NS, but we never, ever covered the cap badge with surplus bits of beret. Most common transgression was to wear the cap badge above the nose when no one of importance was watching. Don't know if it was a general practice, but I found myself checking my shadow to make sure everything was at the proper angle. Very keen we were in the Royal regiment, as others will testify !

But I remember an NCO instructor in that TV prog about Sandhurst, Wore his well shrunken beret perched on top like a fascinator. badge at the side.......... Nobody cared !

Back to top Go down
ronnie french
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 56
Cap Badge : royal artillery
Places Served : rhyl. herford
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/8/2013, 14:35

when you got your beret and tried it on it used to stick out like a sore thumb,untill you got to your service regt,and got to know the tricks of the trade,by taking the lining out and soaking it in hot and then in cold water to shrink it,then mould it to the shape you wanted it and the cap badge over the left eye
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/8/2013, 18:19

This should settle it

Len (Ciphers)

photo images-2.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/8/2013, 23:47

Huh!. Even my old RSM has got it wrong.. The bottom of the beret should be the same distance above each eye..Attention to detail please gents...
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/8/2013, 07:15

photo President-Obama-in-a-beret.jpg

I think this is the DS answer.
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/8/2013, 11:23

As a youngster when doing Basic Training, on issue of Berets, we were never told how to 'shape' the Beret to make it look smart and soldier like, and not like a piss pot on one head.

I never did understand how the Old Timers got their Berets looking good..... someone told me the best way to shape a Beret was to soak it water first, then let it dry out a little bit, put it one one's head then, tug and shape it to how you wanted it. I think that I did manage to get my Beret in a reasonable shape to looke like I was no long green around the gills. I always felt a tad jealous of those lads who were SAS, and wore their 'crap hats', Berets... they alsoways looked smart and prffesional.

The other issue claethes I really hated were the green, nylon barracks trousers. Yes they looked smart and ironed fairly well, but they were very 'sweaty' during hot weather especially around the old 'ballcladders'........ Anyone else remember those trousers. I preffered wearing either NO 2 Trousers, or the Denim trousers with stable belt...... then there were the Drawers Cellular, Green.... and thse awful grey socks, always getting full of holes, and stank like piss-pots after a weeks wear....???? The drawers, cellular, green were just as bad...... hehehehee!!Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Dee Z
WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/8/2013, 14:34

Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/8/2013, 10:27

I enjoyed reading that article Dee Z.

I disagree with the No1 dress cap being called a "Craphat", that was the name given to that brown, cowpat shaped, monstrosity that was issued in WW2. The No1 dress cap was called "Hats, horrible", "Hats, hideous", "Hats hilarious", "Caps, comical" "Caps, c..." or "Hats, gas meter reading". Und so weiter.
The bloke never mentioned the SD cap, of WW1 vintage, worn by Junior Leaders regts, Guards, MPSC and others.

(What website was that taken from ?).
Back to top Go down
Dee Z
WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/8/2013, 12:34

BBC Brum I was searching google for berets at the time
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/8/2013, 12:44

I was always under the impression that "Craphat" was a derogatory term employed by members of so called "Elite" regiments to describe members of perceived "Non Elite" regiments?
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

Number of posts : 232
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/8/2013, 12:51

Shelldrake wrote:
I was always under the impression that "Craphat" was a derogatory term employed by members of so called "Elite" regiments to describe members of perceived "Non Elite" regiments?

This was always my understanding of the term.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/8/2013, 17:48

brum wrote:

.......... "Hats, hideous", "Hats hilarious", "Caps, comical" "Caps, c..." or "Hats, gas meter reading". Und so weiter. ............

More disagreement !.......... On a personal level, that is,for it seems that every unit, large or small, hates a particular piece of top dressing and no one single item enjoys same scorn throughout the army.   Maybe because we  had the good fortune, or misfortune, to be issued with a beret and nowt else, it was scorned, probably because hats were unusual apparel for eighteen year old reluctant squaddies.  Only their dads, old men, bought bowlers or trilbies,  though a flat cap was useful on the 500cc two wheeler.  

Therefore, the term "Craphat" was something I didn't come across until I saw a comparatively recent TV prog. on the Paras.  Recruits wore the DP pattern combat cap until suitably qualified to have a red beret.  And that combat cap was always my personal  favourite............ only problem I found was that the peak hid low branches when struggling in undergowth........ and no one else shared my enthusiasm.  

The C..... cap has always been the Austrian cap, the side hat or forage cap  issued in the late 19th century and dropped ten years or so later. It  was in  favour again when BD came in  until it was phased out and replaced with the "Spudsack", discarded by the Army, but not the RAF, in 1944. Similar, less elaborate hats preceded it in Victoria's army, the term C.... cap goes back to that period ...... I'm told !  It's the shape, you see, not a scornful epithet for whoever wears it.
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

Number of posts : 232
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/8/2013, 17:59

cartav wrote:
brum wrote:

.......... "Hats, hideous", "Hats hilarious", "Caps, comical" "Caps, c..." or "Hats, gas meter reading". Und so weiter. ............

More disagreement !.......... On a personal level, that is,for it seems that every unit, large or small, hates a particular piece of top dressing and no one single item enjoys same scorn throughout the army.   Maybe because we  had the good fortune, or misfortune, to be issued with a beret and nowt else, it was scorned, probably because hats were unusual apparel for eighteen year old reluctant squaddies.  Only their dads, old men, bought bowlers or trilbies,  though a flat cap was useful on the 500cc two wheeler.  

Therefore, the term "Craphat" was something I didn't come across until I saw a comparatively recent TV prog. on the Paras.  Recruits wore the DP pattern combat cap until suitably qualified to have a red beret.  And that combat cap was always my personal  favourite............ only problem I found was that the peak hid low branches when struggling in undergowth........ and no one else shared my enthusiasm.  

The C..... cap has always been the Austrian cap, the side hat or forage cap  issued in the late 19th century and dropped ten years or so later. It  was in  favour again when BD came in  until it was phased out and replaced with the "Spudsack",  discarded by the Army, but not the RAF, in 1944. Similar, less elaborate hats preceded it in Victoria's army, the term C.... cap goes back to that period ...... I'm told !  It's the shape, you see, not a scornful epithet for whoever wears it.

No matter how it started and it's initial meaning these things (sayings) become distorted and reused with new meanings over the years. It would be interesting to hear the views of todays serving soldiers on this subject.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: talking local   talking local - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

talking local
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3