BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
» Walter Mittys.
Yesterday at 14:27 by KrisT

» Summer Camp.
21/9/2017, 22:28 by KrisT

» Kenneth Morrison 1st Batallion Royal Fusiliers Liverpool
20/9/2017, 12:55 by Frances Boyd

» German Grub!!
19/9/2017, 21:16 by KrisT

» Skinny dipping
19/9/2017, 21:04 by KrisT

» RAF Scharfoldendorf
19/9/2017, 13:12 by eMeS

» Thurkettle
17/9/2017, 19:56 by KrisT

» Newton Abbot
17/9/2017, 19:05 by KrisT

» BMH Re-visited
17/9/2017, 14:40 by KrisT

» Hobart Barracks - Detmold
17/9/2017, 14:31 by KrisT

» Trying to locate / identify forces club in post WWII Berlin
14/9/2017, 17:34 by steve

» Memory Lane
10/9/2017, 15:26 by Dee Z

» Help, WW2 BOAR, Which unit did my grandfather belong to?
8/9/2017, 18:23 by Rocky

» R Sigs & 28 (BR) Sig Regiment, Group on 'Facebook'
6/9/2017, 23:29 by unclevanya

» Kiel Nostalgia 1 Buildings and 2 BMD . Baptism Records!
5/9/2017, 20:17 by KIeler sprotten

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 33 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 32 Guests :: 1 Bot

KrisT

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
CalendarCalendar
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 
 

 Army Air Corps in Germany

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sgetuo
Private
Private


Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-03-02

PostSubject: Army Air Corps in Germany   30/8/2013, 13:34

A submission in form of a link. Maybe Marcus Herbote’s article »Army Air Corps in Germany« is of interest for some of your readers as it contains at least some info on BAOR/ AAC locations: http://qra-magazin.de/en/army-air-corps-in-germany/ ... we are always looking for input or comments. The main reason for writing this article is the end of AAC operations in Germany which will come with the departure of 1Regiment AAC from Gütersloh in October 2013.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen


Number of posts : 1029
Age : 76
Localisation : Berkshire
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   30/8/2013, 13:54

sgetuo

Welcome and thank you for the link

It is always good to have authoritive accurate details of BAOR based units and their locations to this site's data base.

Cuxhaven Steve and I are currentlly embarked (with contributions from other members of this site) into a major research of the early years of BAOR

Are you interested in details of the RAF controlled, but with mainly Gunner pilots, AOP Squadrons which were based in the northern part of the then British Zone of Occupation from Summer 1945 till Spring 1946/ Equipted with variants of the fixed wing Austers the Squadron numbers re emerged with the formation of the Army Air Corps in the 1960s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric England
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 232
Age : 65
Localisation : China
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   31/8/2013, 10:25

The good old days, I was REME attached to 655 Sqn in 76.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sgetuo
Private
Private


Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/9/2013, 07:25

JPW wrote:
Are you interested in details of the RAF controlled, but with mainly Gunner pilots, AOP Squadrons which were based in the northern part of the then British Zone of Occupation from Summer 1945 till Spring 1946/ Equipted with variants of the fixed wing Austers the Squadron numbers re emerged with the formation of the Army Air Corps in the 1960s.
Those infos would be great. At the beginning of his research for this article Marcus wanted to include this part of the history of AAC but it was not so easy to sort everything out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen


Number of posts : 1029
Age : 76
Localisation : Berkshire
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/9/2013, 08:28

Delighted to be of assistance

Will contact you privately by pm regarding the data I hold which is unsuitable for publishing on this site in its current format
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/9/2013, 11:14

Just curious JPW.
I notice, in the "Lost Trails" section of the British Legion magazine, that an ex-REME man was in LAD, 86 Anti-Tank Regt RA, in Nov 1945 and was in a place called Wenzendorf.
I can find no mention of such a place on this site, nor can I find it in my trusty "Grosser Auto Atlas",
(1976/77). I'm wondering if there has been a mis-spelling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelldrake
FM
FM
avatar

Number of posts : 2992
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/9/2013, 12:15

http://www.geschichtsspuren.de/artikel/luftfahrt-luftwaffe/128-flugzeugwerk-flugplatz-wenzendorf.html



Bitteschoen.Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 764
Age : 68
Localisation : near Cuxhaven
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/9/2013, 19:49

Moin Brum and Shelldrake

Thanks for the "heads up" you have assisted JPW and myself in our joint project

86th (5th Battalion Devonshire Regiment) Anti-Tank Regiment RA from 2nd Army Troops – Wenzendorf south-west of Hamburg

Being in Kreis Harburg they would have been at that time command 100th Anti-Aircraft Brigade of 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division

Many thanks and cheers 
Steve
PS: More researchers required please
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://britisharmyingermany.com
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen


Number of posts : 1029
Age : 76
Localisation : Berkshire
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   3/9/2013, 18:13

Brum

My apologies for not acknowledging your interesting query. As to be expected that distinguished Gunner, Sheldrake, has provided the definitive authoritive answer

As Steve has indicated you have added a previously unknown location to our list of barracks occupied by the British Army in the future Hamburg District in the immediate post war period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
avatar

Number of posts : 382
Age : 67
Localisation : gateshead
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   3/9/2013, 18:15

The first post of this thread gives a link to the AAC in Germany, this publication is a spotters rough guide to aviation. Please do not take this as difinitive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen


Number of posts : 1029
Age : 76
Localisation : Berkshire
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   4/9/2013, 10:39

dandc

Thank you for the "health warning"

Steve and I are very fortunate that contributors such as yourself can audit such information from first hand experience of the relevent aspect of service life in Germany
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   4/9/2013, 12:08

steve wrote:
Moin Brum and Shelldrake

Thanks for the "heads up" you have assisted JPW and myself in our joint project

86th (5th Battalion Devonshire Regiment) Anti-Tank Regiment RA from 2nd Army Troops – Wenzendorf south-west of Hamburg

Being in Kreis Harburg they would have been at that time command 100th Anti-Aircraft Brigade of 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division

Many thanks and cheers 
Steve
PS: More researchers required please
Cheers.
To be fair though, I only spotted it in the Legion magazine. cyclops 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
avatar

Number of posts : 382
Age : 67
Localisation : gateshead
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   7/9/2013, 16:35

JPW wrote:
dandc

Thank you for the "health warning"

Steve and I are very fortunate that contributors such as yourself can audit such information from first hand experience of the relevent aspect of service life in Germany
s

The AAC is still a young corps (only 57 ) by some yard sticks, even from when I was a member, Regiments,squadrons and camps are being changed,droped or added to as the AAC evolves with the needs of todays modern Army.Sorry to say,you cant stop progress.Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vmullan
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : Middle Wallop, 655 AAC Detmold, BATU Suffield
Registration date : 2014-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   28/1/2014, 01:40

Many a good memory. Remember the Why Not bar downtown? Air Traffic Control AAC Detmold 655 Sqn. 1975-1977. Air Trooper Vince Mullan. Shameful how the barracks look now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 1298
Age : 83
Localisation : West of England
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   28/1/2014, 21:49

I know this post relates to Army Air Corps in Germany, I wonder if the old 249 Signal Sqn(FARELF) were the only R Signals unit with their own Helicopter flight (Bell G47's).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vmullan
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : Middle Wallop, 655 AAC Detmold, BATU Suffield
Registration date : 2014-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   29/1/2014, 00:30

THE STRANGE EVENT OF THE BURNING HELICOPTER.

I was on air traffic control tower duty the night those two lads burnt the Scout helicopter at the Detmold airfield. It was the one guy that did it - the other warned him not to. The guy that did it was called... well, let's call him Pat. He thought Avtag is like diesel and can't be set fire to. He held a lighter over the open fuel tank and Whoomp! up it went. Write off. I saw the fireball and hit the emergency button. The German fireman asked "What Quadrant is the problem?" I said "Drive out the door - can't miss it". Later, Pat was in the guard house when the camp commander of the day was posted out. I clearly remember him going up to Pat on the steps of the guard house and in front of the crowd of cheering guys giving him a box of matches.

Bars. I have many fond memories of the Why Not dance bar/Disco. What ever happened to it? I also remember a bar owned by an ex-Guardsman not too far away. I think his wife was called Renata - could be wrong. Don't remember the name of that place. It was one of the few that were soldier friendly.

For quite a while I lived in 2nd floor of that turret you see in the photos where the big Orange ball artwork is. The little helicopter was there. I call the location the back entrance of the barracks. I remember if looking out the window the MPs were down behind to the left with the medical bay and REME guys were billeted across the street.

I remember one July 4th an American flyer attached to 655 came in his #1s and hoisted the Stars and Stripes in place of the Union Jack where the little helicopter was. We played Yellow Rose of Texas for him as he hoisted the flag.

I remember a pilot in 655 who drove an E Type Jag. Blue? Lilac? . His plate was HE P1G. Don't remember his name.

I remember doing guard duty at the cinema. This was about 1975/76. The billboard over the entrance said "Music, The Sound Of".

We had a bar in the AAC accommodations. On Saturdays we bussed nurses in from Bielefeld and put on a disco. I remember a guy in 655 we called Mad Martin. Used to eat wine glasses and beer mugs to impress those girls. He kept a pet crocodile about 18" long in a tub for the longest time. I have no idea how he got away with that for as long as he did.

Good times. Simpler times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric England
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 232
Age : 65
Localisation : China
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   31/1/2014, 08:49

Vmullan wrote:
THE STRANGE EVENT OF THE BURNING HELICOPTER.

I was on air traffic control tower duty the night those two lads burnt the Scout helicopter at the Detmold airfield. It was the one guy that did it - the other warned him not to. The guy that did it was called... well, let's call him Pat. He thought Avtag is like diesel and can't be set fire to. He held a lighter over the open fuel tank and Whoomp! up it went. Write off. I saw the fireball and hit the emergency button. The German fireman asked "What Quadrant is the problem?" I said "Drive out the door - can't miss it". Later, Pat was in the guard house when the camp commander of the day was posted out. I clearly remember him going up to Pat on the steps of the guard house and in front of the crowd of cheering guys giving him a box of matches.

Bars. I have many fond memories of the Why Not dance bar/Disco. What ever happened to it? I also remember a bar owned by an ex-Guardsman not too far away. I think his wife was called Renata - could be wrong. Don't remember the name of that place. It was one of the few that were soldier friendly.

For quite a while I lived in 2nd floor of that turret you see in the photos where the big Orange ball artwork is. The little helicopter was there. I call the location the back entrance of the barracks. I remember if looking out the window the MPs were down behind to the left with the medical bay and REME guys were billeted across the street.

I remember one July 4th an American flyer attached to 655 came in his #1s and hoisted the Stars and Stripes in place of the Union Jack where the little helicopter was. We played Yellow Rose of Texas for him as he hoisted the flag.

I remember a pilot in 655 who drove an E Type Jag. Blue? Lilac? . His plate was HE P1G. Don't remember his name.

I remember doing guard duty at the cinema. This was about 1975/76. The billboard over the entrance said "Music, The Sound Of".

We had a bar in the AAC accommodations. On Saturdays we bussed nurses in from Bielefeld and put on a disco. I remember a guy in 655 we called Mad Martin. Used to eat wine glasses and beer mugs to impress those girls. He kept a pet crocodile about 18" long in a tub for the longest time. I have no idea how he got away with that for as long as he did.

Good times. Simpler times.

The club bar was in the basement of the building with the helicopter outside, it was called the blue berret club and I had a room on the ground floor. I was the REME clerk in 76 and also doubled as the Sqn clerk as there was a shortage of clerks in the AAC at this time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
avatar

Number of posts : 382
Age : 67
Localisation : gateshead
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   31/1/2014, 16:34

The helicopter was a "Skeeter" it was put on the blocks outside the accomodation in 1973.Up untill 1974 the turreted part of 655 sqn block was the QMs downstairs,and the COs office upstairs. The REME on the other side of the road were 71ac workshops, things must have changed after mid 74 as I was posted to 666 sqn.

PS, by then the BBC club had moved into the attick. Laughing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vmullan
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : Middle Wallop, 655 AAC Detmold, BATU Suffield
Registration date : 2014-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/2/2014, 03:19

I got there in 74. I remember when the CO's office was in the tower. It moved to a building closer to the Guard house and a few of us got to pick new accommodations. I shared that ex-office with another guy. When we managed to smuggle girls in they thought we were VIPs! I remember the bar being in the basement and also in the attic I didn't remember which was first. The bar was rough stone with a wood top. I remember helping put beer bottles cemented into the stone and putting Christmas lights in the empty bottles. Great effect!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
avatar

Number of posts : 382
Age : 67
Localisation : gateshead
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/2/2014, 09:56

The BBC club started in the cellar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric England
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 232
Age : 65
Localisation : China
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/2/2014, 11:39

dandc wrote:
The BBC club started in the cellar.

The BBC club was in the cellar when I was attached to them, so maybe it was before 76 maybe 74? My memory is not so good these days. I was with them when the French adventure training was on, canoing down the ardesh river.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vmullan
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : Middle Wallop, 655 AAC Detmold, BATU Suffield
Registration date : 2014-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/2/2014, 15:30

That brings back memories. I went on the French Adventure. The vehicles had to be painted (blue and yellow ?) because the French wouldn't allow camo colours. Had to get civvie license plates too. The memory of finally arriving on the beach in Southern France was great. A beach fire at night with some local French girls and watching the sun come up over the ocean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric England
Maj
Maj
avatar

Number of posts : 232
Age : 65
Localisation : China
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   1/2/2014, 16:05

Vmullan wrote:
That brings back memories. I went on the French Adventure. The vehicles had to be painted (blue and yellow ?) because the French wouldn't allow camo colours. Had to get civvie license plates too. The memory of finally arriving on the beach in Southern France was great. A beach fire at night with some local French girls and watching the sun come up over the ocean.

It was a fun experience, especially the gauges part with the nudist colonies, and my partner in the canoe was a CPO, but his eyes were not on navigation LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
avatar

Number of posts : 382
Age : 67
Localisation : gateshead
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   2/2/2014, 08:57

Good morning gents, unfortunatly things change. I still remember my first day with Army Aviation as if it were yesterday.

In june 1971 I was informed by my sqn ldr ( 15/19H ) that I was going ERE to BFPO 41, 655 sqn Army Aviation,found out by asking around that I was off to Detmold,The AAC were different those days as all their manpower was provided by all arms,there was no direct entry from civi st untill 1973,anyway 655 was in the change from RA personel to RAC.
I arrived at Detmold on a sunday afternoon in june and was duly squared away in the attic untill my quater was ready. On the monday morning just before first parade I made my way outside....not a sinner in sight,I hung around for 15 mins Nothing, at nearly 0830 I see a blue berret and asked him what time muster parade was, after giving me a wiered look he said " no parades here son just go down the cellar bar their all down there.That my introduction to the AAC, as I said I left 655 in 74,if you were both there after 74 you may know my very good friend Robert George ( paddy ) Church, and be careful what you say as I am still in contact with him a we meet quite often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vmullan
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : Middle Wallop, 655 AAC Detmold, BATU Suffield
Registration date : 2014-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   2/2/2014, 21:08

Hi dandc. I remember lots of faces but few names. Paul Cousins? Peter Hickenbotham? I got there 1974. Return to Middle Wallop 1978. Tour of BATU Suffield in middle. I met wife in Sin Bin (Assinaboya Inn) in Medicine Hat on that tour. Returned to Canada in 78 after leaving Forces and have been there since.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Army Air Corps in Germany   

Back to top Go down
 
Army Air Corps in Germany
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» ARMY CATERING CORPS
» Army Air Corps in Germany
» ROYAL CANADIAN ARMY SERVICE CORPS
» Royal Army Service Corps
» Minden - Clifton Barracks

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: BAOR-Locations Site Submissions & Amendments-
Jump to: