BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Presentation and help needed

Go down 
+7
BobG
Goldmohur
Shelldrake
brum
JPW
steve
Philgrenoble
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
UncleGrumble
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 18
Cap Badge : REME
Registration date : 2013-12-21

Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2014, 13:07

I remember in early 1974, four of us left Berlin to catch the ferry from Bremerhaven. When we arrived at the dock, the place was flooded by extra high spring tides. We couldn't get the car on board, but they allowed us to sleep on the ferry. Looking out of the lounge windows, we could see hundreds of cars in the Rankins compound, up to their windscreens in dirty salt water. I often wondered what happened to them.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2014, 13:41

Philgrenoble wrote:
... French "scaley" ????  scratch 
perhaps I should have a few sips of Chartreuse (local brewage) to understand the dialect of this forum

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your command of our language, Philippe.
We have people on this site who can hardly speak English at all !
Back to top Go down
Philgrenoble
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2014, 14:00

Thank you.
You make me blushing !
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2014, 18:31

UncleGrumble wrote:
I remember in early 1974, four of us left Berlin to catch the ferry from Bremerhaven. When we arrived at the dock, the place was flooded by extra high spring tides. We couldn't get the car on board, but they allowed us to sleep on the ferry. Looking out of the lounge windows, we could see hundreds of cars in the Rankins compound, up to their windscreens in dirty salt water. I often wondered what happened to them.

I know quite a few lads from my own unit (3RTR) who had problems with the cars they bought from 'Rankins'! The Rover SD1 was a classic case and one lad bought a TR7 with the latest spec (or so he thought) only to find that it was a year old when he took ownership! Transpired that it had been sat in a compound/field with water halfway up it's wheels for most of that time as well! Mad 
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2014, 07:48

I recall that they got some bad press in the Sixth Sense, probably that's why they went out of business. We also had the "Art Salesmen" and the "Mortgage/Endowment Salesmen" - they went the same way!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2014, 09:40

Yes, I remember the "Art" sellers too. (I wonder if any of it ever turned out to be a good investment ?).
We had a weird one in the Hemer area. A bloke, ex squaddie I think, used to sell sets of saucepans. It was all good German stuff but fiendishly pricey.
Anyroad up, this bloke spoke with a strong Hampshire accent but when he went into his sales spiel he suddenly acquired a German accent. It was so distracting nobody listened to his patter.
I don't reckon he sold much.

Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2014, 10:55

It was probably Scaley Len! Suspect Suspect 
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2014, 17:42

Remember the "Art" sales adverts featuring Oil Paintings with a Germanic theme which were meant to be a long term investment.

Pardon the expression, if any contributor to this site was an Agent for the owner, but a scam on the unsuspecting in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Philgrenoble
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2014, 09:24

Hello,
I am back again with my automobile-genealogy exercise. Very Happy 

Some news, at first.
I came in contact with the second owner of my car: a british officer, Captain Hicks.
In fact he was not based in Germany but in UK, where he bought the car from a garage in Farnborough 6 months after the previous owner (member of BFG) got his UK registration.

So I suppose the first owner bought the car tax free in Germany from Rankin's of Rheydt, used it, took it back to UK, claimed for a DVLA registration (I have a copy of this document) and finally sold it to this garage.
Unfortunately the DVLA is not envolved in first BFG registration.

> Do you think the administration in charge of BFG registration would find this document for me ? How to ask ?
So I could known when Blue was first sold by Rankin's...

Last thing, I started to write a book about the history of my MGB, with documents, photos, testimonies and many details you gave me in the forum.
> I found on the web a copy of one of the BFG newspapers (1973) with a Rankin's advert in it:  BFG station newspaper
Enjoy !
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2014, 11:53

Here is an example of the old BFG Plate

Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 $_35

Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2014, 12:09

Sorry Mike, the registration was JX 134 B and not JK84 B. I mis-red the original document...
Back to top Go down
Pborn3
WOI
WOI
Pborn3

Number of posts : 134
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Oswestry, Paderborn, Barnard Castle, Catterick, NI, Bristol, Cyprus, Munsterlager, NI,Sennelager , NI , Rge Control/STC Sennelager/ GSU Sennelager as Civvy
Registration date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2014, 12:18

Whilst BFG Vehicle registration has been simplified - there is a registration office in each Garrison alongside the Vehicle Inspection Bay - and each office supervisor has access to a database of every BFG Registration ever issued - airplanes were also BFG registered. Would suggest that Philgrenoble writes to BFG Licensing Office, HQ BFG, Catterick Bks, BFPO 39 and explains his interest and query!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Presentation and help needed    Presentation and help needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Presentation and help needed
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2