BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 46 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 46 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Wednesday afternoon sport

Go down 
+2
Shelldrake
"john boy"
6 posters
AuthorMessage
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Wednesday afternoon sport 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Wednesday afternoon sport Empty
PostSubject: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime2/4/2014, 17:49

Well guys our favourite pastime affraid no matter where in the world when not on active service Wednesday afternoon was always reserved for sport,(or so I believe,correct me if I am wrong) why not go to the pub instead we did enough PT as it was I digress and why was it that you got picked to play a sport you've never played before or were crap at it. The best one I got volunteered to do boxing and you can't refuse oh no like I wanted to go in the ring me a slop jockey with boxing gloves they're having a laugh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime3/4/2014, 07:25

That explains it!. You should have taken the gloves off when cooking..

Brum had to wear boxing gloves, but fot a different reason Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime3/4/2014, 09:41

Gordon. wrote:
That explains it!. You should have taken the gloves off when cooking..

Brum had to wear boxing gloves, but fot a different reason Embarassed 

Tee Hee Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime3/4/2014, 15:36

john boy wrote:
Well guys our favourite pastime affraid no matter where in the world when not on active service Wednesday afternoon was always reserved for sport,(or so I believe,correct me if I am wrong) why not go to the pub instead we did enough PT as it was I digress and why was it that you got picked to play a sport you've never played before or were crap at it. The best one I got volunteered to do boxing and you can't refuse oh no like I wanted to go in the ring me a slop jockey with boxing gloves they're having a laugh.

I can recall, when I was in Boys Service, playing a different sport every Wed afternoon. They wanted to find out which sport we "Excelled" in, I finally ended up in the Regt'l swimming team - I went on to represent the Sgts Mess in the Boat Race! drunken  I would have thought, John Boy, given your expertise behind the bain marie, skill in pugilism would have been a distinct advantage? scratch 
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime4/4/2014, 12:42

Got conned into trying Rugby once & 0nce only, on the basis that I could sprint a bit......... and that was because I'd opted for physical stuff in PT kit which was over more quickly on a 100 yd track than the long distance boredom. Having a soccer background, Rugby confused. They cheered when the ball was kicked out of play, it was a daft shape which prohibited deft footwork and my sprinting ability was of no use when I was flat down in the mud under one of the lads who used to play Rugby League with Wigan. I dodged it all in future by taking a bike out and doing some mud plugging on an old Luftwaffe airfield with another member of the Regt. M/c Trials team.
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime4/4/2014, 17:33

ah, "Wednesday Afternoon's Sports", I remember it well, especially the last 12 to 14 months of service stationed at Helles lines, Catterick Camp. Y'see, I was on the RP staff there way back in 1976 or so. Some of us, when not on duty, would ask the SSgt in charge of us if we could go "bowling" at Camp Centre. Well, as far as I knew, the old Camp Centre big NAAFI Club had been closed some years ago. It also had a number of good Ten Pin Bowling alleys. So off 3 or 4 of us would go, someone always had a car. The actual "bowling" always meant we had to stop for some refreshments at some country pub in the Dales nearby somewhere - real ale from wooden casks, not your gassy, chemical stuff out of aluminium casks.

Of course the afternoon would wear on, the "sports" stuff was usually doms, darts or lifting ones elbows to get the amber nectar down the old neck. Meanwhile, several hours later, we had to leave as the pubs didn't stay open all day back in them days. Rather the worse for wear, and possibly over the legal limit, we would get back in whoevers car it was and drive back to the Garrison area, to park up and eventually crash out for a few hours in our pits. On a few occasions, the old banger that the driver had, would often spring a leak in the radiator - there we were 3 or 4 geezers all topping up the radiator by wee'ing in it. It did the trick, and got back to barracks, but the downside was the stench.

Hot, beer fuelled wee has an ability to really stink, so there were, standing at the side of the road in a layby, piddling in turn into the radiator fill hole......

It brings all brings back old memories of our wonderful Wednesday afternoon "sports!" When the World was young, and we were even younger.... drunken Sleep 
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime4/4/2014, 20:04

Wednesday afternoon sport Missisrael+2

I loved swimming it was such fun  Very Happy Very Happy AHHHHH fond memories lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime4/4/2014, 22:49

Beats blanket pressing JB
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime5/4/2014, 09:22

Johnboy,

Cannot remember girls like that in my day, of those that came to our NAAFI dances Harrogate.
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime5/4/2014, 09:53

Wednesday afternoon sport Women_in_Bathing_Suits_North_Africa_1944

Ah Mr Jim is that more like it  Very Happy  quite a contrast don't you think
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime5/4/2014, 11:33

WRAC gels never looked like any of the above........ else my memory is getting a tad dim. One or two looked very tasty......... bounce drunken 
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime5/4/2014, 12:44

unclevanya wrote:
ah,  

It brings all brings back old memories of our wonderful Wednesday afternoon "sports!" When the World was young, and we were even younger.... drunken Sleep 

............................................................................................................................................................................
Ah yes !  ........  Memories !!   My mate Jock & I were on the troop cross country thingy, one of those end of season jollies which tested our physical attributes with various irritating activities. The  route was simple,  turn right at the main gate, 400 yards later get into the wood & run round the outer edges for a mile or two before getting back to Quebec Bks.  Jock had only a month left of his 3 year service to do, he wasn't chuffed.  "Hang on......" he said, " Let's  cut across the middle, take it easy".   Ok for Jock, I'd got a bit longer to do, didn't fancy breaking the rules, or, at least didn't fancy being found out, didn't fancy a three mile bash either, so I agreed.

Well into a gentle stroll on the short cut, we came across a pub where a  large local was enjoying the sun. He called out to us. "Hey Tommy !  Drink with me !".  I  shrugged, called back " Leider, No Geld !" but Jock was already up the steps on to the  balcony, a true Scot.  Our benefactor said something in comprehensible English  like  "No sweat..... I'm buying", and so he did, kept us thirst quenched for some time whilst we listened to his tales of how he was a POW in UK. and got on well with the Brits.  It had to end, we had to get back, tag on the end of the rest of the troop. When we emerged from the wood, b got on the 400 yard stretch from the trolley terminus at Evesburg, back to  the main gated of Quebec Bks., we had to put on a show, it was necessary to break into a gentle trot.  In front there was a troop from 26 Bty. on the same activity, we caught up with their back markers, the keen young 2/Lt at the front was  irritated, called back " Don't let these men pass us !". Well that was  a challenge. Jock was happy to hang back but I was stupid enough to sprint in front, beating the 26 Bty lot with ease. Keen young sujbaltern was  incensed, wanted to take it further. He jotted down names and unit details, asked the RPs when we'd  booked out.  

We were quizzed by our own Tp. Cdr,. Jock, the old sweat with only days to do,   convinced him we had got lost in the wood and it was likely we'd done half as much again as the rest.  Our chief was unconcerned,  stuck up for his own and was delighted we'd put one over on 26 Bty.  Another lesson in man management learned !
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime5/4/2014, 20:21

That's more like it Johnboy. They do look the biss even although I am 80 in a couple of weeks time but my memory is only 30 something years old. (not the body)
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime5/4/2014, 20:26

jimsigs1 wrote:
That's more like it Johnboy. They do look the biss even although I am 80 in a couple of weeks time but my memory is only 30 something years old. (not the body)

Well I aim to please  cheers here you just one more
Wednesday afternoon sport Bathingsuit
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

Number of posts : 232
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime6/4/2014, 08:39

unclevanya wrote:
ah, "Wednesday Afternoon's Sports", I remember it well, especially the last 12 to 14 months of service stationed at Helles lines, Catterick Camp. Y'see, I was on the RP staff there way back in 1976 or so. Some of us, when not on duty, would ask the SSgt in charge of us if we could go "bowling" at Camp Centre. Well, as far as I knew, the old Camp Centre big NAAFI Club had been closed some years ago. It also had a number of good Ten Pin Bowling alleys. So off 3 or 4 of us would go, someone always had a car. The actual "bowling" always meant we had to stop for some refreshments at some country pub in the Dales nearby somewhere - real ale from wooden casks, not your gassy, chemical stuff out of aluminium casks.

Of course the afternoon would wear on, the "sports" stuff was usually doms, darts or lifting ones elbows to get the amber nectar down the old neck. Meanwhile, several hours later, we had to leave as the pubs didn't stay open all day back in them days. Rather the worse for wear, and possibly over the legal limit, we would get back in whoevers car it was and drive back to the Garrison area, to park up and eventually crash out for a few hours in our pits. On a few occasions, the old banger that the driver had, would often spring a leak in the radiator - there we were 3 or 4 geezers all topping up the radiator by wee'ing in it. It did the trick, and got back to barracks, but the downside was the stench.

Hot, beer fuelled wee has an ability to really stink, so there were, standing at the side of the road in a layby, piddling in turn into the radiator fill hole......

I was in Catterick in 76, we had just come back from Northern Ireland to Bourlon Bks and the very next day was a Wed so a sports afternoon. My car an old 69 MGB was parked in a workshop in North Allerton, so I put on my running gear just before lunch and set off for what was supposed to be a cross country run, got to the bus stop and took a bus to North Allerton got my clothes from the boot of the car changed and drove to a country pub, the Landlord knew us and at closing time locked the doors but we stayed inside and spent the whole afternoon playing darts and doms.

I do not recall driving back, bad boy me. Next morning my car was parked behind the LAD with the hood down and it was raining cats and dogs, took me a week to dry the car out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday afternoon sport   Wednesday afternoon sport Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wednesday afternoon sport
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: Locations within BAOR and NW Europe :: Herford-
Jump to: