BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 68 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 68 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

German Grub!!

Go down 
+22
steve1226
jimsigs1
Ian
cartav
Sgmn
ciphers
Dee Z
alan8376
brrowe
steve
Hardrations
recce83
KIeler sprotten
biggsy
Daveb
"john boy"
Eric England
TimSherlock
gingerjim
Cliffo
Shelldrake
unclevanya
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dee Z
WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

German Grub!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/8/2014, 11:53

They work ok from my end you could try clicking on the you tube icon within the clip it will take you direct to the published video
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/8/2014, 17:05

Works OK for me ..Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/8/2014, 11:46

I still like German grub.... I have wanders around the local branches of 'Lidls' and 'Aldis' here where I live in the fair city of the capital of Essex!!

Time for lunch again soon.......................!! Smile Sad
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2014, 21:09

The Iserlohn Brewery is now being re-opened. This is the English translation. For those who want the German version with photo of the brewery. Don't know if they'll be making the same good beverage, but it's nice to know that the brew that nourished so many Canadian and British soldiers will soon be back on the market.

http://www.derwesten.de/ikz/staedte/iserlohn/christian-rolinck-und-china-partner-sind-neue-besitzer-id9771093.html

Christian Rolinck and China partners are new owners
01.09.2014 | 17:00 clock
2014-09-01T17: 00: 00 + 02: 00

In the Iserlohn brewery could soon come again Life.  
The brewery is facing a new future
The money is transferred, the keys are handed over. On the site and in the production and office premises of the former private brewery Iserlohn in Green Valley has started yesterday, a new era. It is the "day one" of the activities of the new owner of "luxury beer GmbH", where the in Iserlohn and nationwide brewery business certainly not unknown Christian Rolinck (40) also holds shares as the Chinese businessman and beverage trade skilled Chang (61). Rolinck has also worked as managing director of the company with immediate effect.vtbox();

"We started initially with basic preparatory work re The next steps will be considered and fragmented approach. "In the past, the operation was not exactly blessed with technical investments. We have now worked up, "he says. Rolinck course, who knows, at least over the years 2008 to 2010 plenty of them, but he led the company as CEO for the then owner Gerd Heutelbeck. Rolinck also makes it immediately clear in the interview that he wants to turn our gaze now only forward. "It is not for me to comment on processes and strategies in the former private brewery and values. We are facing a restart. And that's what counts. "Eight employees, including former employees of the old company, have entered into service with the previous day in the new company. In a first step, steps are taken to build a canning line. With production start-up then a reliable basic production should initially be established with the Chinese market can be served by wholesalers and retailers Chang. Already leads the investor quality beer that is brewed according to the German Purity bid successfully to China a. reporting follows

Christian Rolinck und China-Partner sind neue Besitzer | IKZ-Online.de - Lesen Sie mehr auf:
http://www.derwesten.de/ikz/staedte/iserlohn/christian-rolinck-und-china-partner-sind-neue-besitzer-id9771093.html#plx1614641339
Back to top Go down
Daveb
WOI
WOI
Daveb

Number of posts : 105
Places Served : Iserlohn, Herford X 2
Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/9/2014, 19:33

This report gives me a pleasant surprise and brings back fond memories from 1967. However more recently (about 5 years ago) I had a crate of Iserlohner and a crate of Herforder shipped over in one of the units of plant we hired from our parent company in Essen, this was duly shared out in the office giving each member of the team a bottle of each beer. I awaited comments having extolled the virtues of Herforder many times to all and sundry. Imagine my amazement when without an exception the Iserlohner was voted the best by a country mile over my beloved "Herfy". Some of these people actually drank "real ales" by choice and I had not expected such a favourable reaction to "foreign" beer, so come on Iserlohn and see if you can manage to export to a "thirsty" market here in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Sgmn
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 30
Cap Badge : Jimmy
Places Served : Germany; Cyprus
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/1/2015, 16:37

gingerjim wrote:
i never saw curry dishes in any pub or restaurant in germany , only real german grub , come to think of it curry was never served up by our slopjockeys either , no curry wurst , just bratwurst etc , and the german folk were all blond aryans , no turks or asians in those days ,
We were served fish on Friday, and curried fish on Monday. No thank you!

The folk were far from "all blond aryans." Many, if not most, were dark-haired.
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
German Grub!! - Page 2 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/1/2015, 14:40

gingerjim wrote:
i never saw curry dishes in any pub or restaurant in germany , only real german grub , come to think of it curry was never served up by our slopjockeys either , no curry wurst , just bratwurst etc , and the german folk were all blond aryans , no turks or asians in those days ,

Give'm a break the sloppy's could just about muster up Bangers and mash never mind curry wurst bounce
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/1/2015, 14:50

john boy wrote:
gingerjim wrote:

Give'm a break the sloppy's could just about muster up Bangers and mash never mind curry wurst bounce

But not at the same time!! affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/1/2015, 18:06

[quote="unclevanya"]

Saurkraut is supposed to be good for one, as it is full of vitimins and other nutrients. The problem I find with it, is around 30 minutes to an hour of consuming said stuff, it acts like an enema,....... [quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just seen this some months on and I recall a meal out with the Fraulein of the day & her sister.......... unexplained giggling all through the session......... Sauerkraut washed down with Pils is lethal. Your prob. was a self inflicted injury and nowt to do with how it's prepared. You could have been on a 252 for that.

And I'm reminded ....... happy days ! I suppose most know the rhyme to advise on how to mix beer & wine ........ if not it's
something like :-

Bier auf Wein, last dass sein
Wein auf Bier, rat ich dir.

In other words if my Deutsch is incomprehensible,

Don't drink the beer first .
Wine after beer is recommended
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/1/2015, 18:41

Another  memory from way back..........  first night out in Osnabruck, innocents abroad, we came across of our intake looking quite distressed. Fred, from Barnsley,had wandered out alone and, gagging for a beer, he'd dropped in the first bar he came across.  Asked for  " A pint o' bitter" & got the nearest thing they thought he wanted. .... " A meat pie "  he moaned, still thirsty........ ,( more likely it was  a Kotelett.....)  He reckoned it was a joke they played on squaddies.
Back to top Go down
Dee Z
WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/6/2015, 07:46

This guy talks about most things in Germany here he is talking about bier

Back to top Go down
Ian
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 95
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK, BAOR,BATUS
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Kimberly BC.   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/7/2015, 19:18

My wife and I  spent last week camping in the mountains of BC. we had heard that Kimberly BC was a "German" town. We ended up eating in a place that billed itself as having "authentic German Bratts" well to say they were sh*** would be an understatement, they were nothing more than the white sausages that can be bought for $7.99 for a package of 10 in superstore, needless to say we paid a bloody site more than that!
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2015, 17:33

Ian wrote:
My wife and I  spent last week camping in the mountains of BC. we had heard that Kimberly BC was a "German" town. We ended up eating in a place that billed itself as having "authentic German Bratts" well to say they were sh*** would be an understatement, they were nothing more than the white sausages that can be bought for $7.99 for a package of 10 in superstore, needless to say we paid a bloody site more than that!

Sorry about your experience. Yes, Kimberly used to be a prosperous mining town, but when Teck-Cominco shut down the Sullivan Mine people started looking around for an attractive tourist magnet, and what better idea than a Bavarian ski resort? The place you're talking about is on the so-called "Platzl" and alleges to have the stuff we learned to know and love in Germany.

Maybe next time you travel to BC you could visit the Okanagan Valley to try one of two German-themed places. One is the Gasthaus On the Lake in Peachland. It is the one imitation German pub that seems to me at least to be authentic and the food is terrific. The pork shoulder roast and dumplings washed down with a litre or three of Warsteiner beer reminds us of happy days gone by. The other one - the less spectacular but equally authentic food-wise - is the Woodfire Restaurant in Kelowna where the chef yodels while preparing your dish. The ham hock and pretzel buns are also soul-satisfying. Hope this renews your regard for Canadian eateries.
Back to top Go down
Ian
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 95
Places Served : UK, BAOR,BATUS
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Peachland   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/8/2015, 23:28

recce83 wrote:
Ian wrote:

Sorry about your experience. Yes, Kimberly used to be a prosperous mining town, but when Teck-Cominco shut down the Sullivan Mine people started looking around for an attractive tourist magnet, and what better idea than a Bavarian ski resort? The place you're talking about is on the so-called "Platzl" and alleges to have the stuff we learned to know and love in Germany.

Maybe next time you travel to BC you could visit the Okanagan Valley to try one of two German-themed places. One is the Gasthaus On the Lake in Peachland. It is the one imitation German pub that seems to me at least to be authentic and the food is terrific. The pork shoulder roast and dumplings washed down with a litre or three of Warsteiner beer reminds us of happy days gone by. The other one - the less spectacular but equally authentic food-wise - is the Woodfire Restaurant in Kelowna where the chef yodels while preparing your dish. The ham hock and pretzel buns are also soul-satisfying. Hope this renews your regard for Canadian eateries.
Thanks for your input. We were in Peachland this time last year, we attended the Penticton 'peachfest', had a great time although 'Trooper' should find day jobs, they were terrible, more to the point we found an authentic fish and chips place in Peachland, very very good. We would have returned this year but most of this years acts are unknown to my wife and I, maybe if they get some good old rock and roll bands we will be back. we went to see John Fogerty in the saddledome late last year, worth every penny, would pay to see him again! take care, Ian.
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/8/2015, 16:50

The German sausages served up UK food stores are not the same as I remember when I was a young lad in Herford (1952). Even the mustard is not the same. Still remember the taste from those years.
Jimsigs
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime31/8/2015, 17:04

That was Khaki Yellow 103 under your finger nails Jim.
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime31/8/2015, 18:51

Hi Ciphers,

Still got a block in my cleaning cupboard but got shot of the webbing.
Talking about webbing,
I well remember when I was at 7 Sigs, they kept a set of webbing done in black boot polish for anyone going on a guards course, to make them believe that was standard in our Regiment. Poor fools the Guards and they swallowed it.
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/10/2015, 21:56

Hardrations wrote:
That is out standing bad news. All though I no longer drink, it will be of great disappointment to many of those in the RCA, Armoured, and PPCLI and Queens Own who served  in Deilinghofen/Iserlohn.

Rest In Peace Iserlohn Pils

http://www.iserlohner.de/new_content/media/img/start2.jpg

I served in Deilinghofen with the RA/ REME attatched. I had a great time there and well remember the Schnellimbiss outside the back gate. It kept me alive!
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/12/2015, 00:34

it has to be Tommys Zenf with bratwurst really.
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
German Grub!! - Page 2 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/12/2015, 16:53

German Grub!! - Page 2 M2YzMGZhNzI4MTdkNzcwMTBlODAzYWVhZDdjY2U1NjY.379x379

King of the Slop Jockey's comes up trumps again just for your culinary delights " oh look they sell food as well " santa Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime24/12/2015, 14:31

Ich haette gerne zwei Dicke Titten mit Kartoffelsalat, bitte! geek geek
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/1/2016, 03:58

I am quite scared of German sausages, I always fear the wurst
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/1/2016, 04:57

steve jones wrote:
I am quite scared of German sausages, I always fear the wurst

GROAN Rolling Eyes

JGW likes this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/1/2016, 08:50

Did I senf a joke there?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/1/2016, 09:31

I visited a German restaurant in London recently, for starters I had a ham and sauerkraut roll up, which was terrible, but the wurst was yet to come. bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

German Grub!!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next