BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 66 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 66 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RAOC Vehicle disposal depot - Holland or Belgium?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-02-02

RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Empty
PostSubject: RAOC Vehicle disposal depot - Holland or Belgium?   RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime11/2/2015, 00:56

Wonder if any ex RAOC from 1982/83 could answer this one for me?

In 82 or 83, we took the squadron's water bowser back to RAOC for disposal. You know the ones, where it tips up on its arse as soon as you pull the safety pin out of the tow hook - unless the legs are wound right down on the back end. This disposal was due to receiving 3 of the new 1.75 kg Arrows trailers with water carriage packs.

Now I thought we went to an RAOC vehicle depot in Holland to dispose of it. But doing some research suggests Antwerp in Belgium. So I would appreciate clarification of where this disposal depot was in Holland or Belgium?

The event was rather amusing. A new wooden tool box had been made for the bowser, but REME had failed to fit it. We dragged the bowser to the RAOC depot, where some excited solder went and made a phone call, An RAF 6x6 Range Rover arrives, and a WO steps out of the passenger's side. He asks where the tool box is, and asks why the trailer has not been painted? We advise that the new toolbox is in the back of the Bedford, and the trailer is here for disposal, not reallocation or war reserve. The WO then looks inside the top, growls, and tells us to return it to unit, clean inside the tank as it was unfit for human use, paint it and get the tool box fitted.

We were a bit offended by this, as we'd only used it on ex a week before.

We take it back to Osnabruck. REME LAD make a phone call to ROAC, and 2 other guys take it straight back to RAOC again.

So, who worked for RAOC in the 80's and knows exactly where this depot is?

Thanks

RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Water-10
Back to top Go down
UncleGrumble
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 18
Cap Badge : REME
Registration date : 2013-12-21

PostSubject: Re: RAOC Vehicle disposal depot - Holland or Belgium?   RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime12/2/2015, 12:15

There was a camp which housed 60 (or 61) Station Workshops REME, and a Forward Vehicle Unit run by RAOC, in Olen, near Herentals, in Belgium. Vehicles, some of which were older than most of our senior ranks, were held there for use by TA units moving to BAOR for summer exercises.
The REME workshop was also my second line repair unit, when I and the rest of NATO, were moved from France to Maastricht and Brunsumm in Netherlands in 1968. Troops using the camp on route from UK were fed (and always the same meal, spam fritters, egg, and chips), whilst picking up their vehicles.
Vehicles which were out of service were returned to UK via Olen.
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: RAOC Vehicle disposal depot - Holland or Belgium?   RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime12/2/2015, 14:26

Thank you for the information, which corroborates what I have been told by someone on the BAOR Revisited group. He worked at Olen in the early eighties.

I've managed to mark the rough boundary of the camp on my Google map.

Click on the link and scroll down through the listing to see RAOC Olen ttp://goo.gl/maps/WSOqo

Many thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: RAOC Vehicle disposal depot - Holland or Belgium?   RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime12/2/2015, 15:38

'B' Vehs from my unit were returned to 17 BVD, Recklinghausen.   I believe that vehs which were BER were auctioned or disposed of locally.   'A' Vehs went to 23 Base Wksps to be repaired/renovated and re-issued.   HJ Equipment (International Harvester) went to La Spezia in Italy where, I think, the Americans operated a similar Base Repair system to ours.  I stand to be corrected.

Last edited by Shelldrake on 12/2/2015, 16:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: RAOC Vehicle disposal depot - Holland or Belgium?   RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime12/2/2015, 16:01

We used to turn right at Recklinghausen when travelling from Osnabruck to Zeebrugge. Will always remember that name Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAOC Vehicle disposal depot - Holland or Belgium?   RAOC Vehicle disposal depot -  Holland or Belgium? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAOC Vehicle disposal depot - Holland or Belgium?
Page 1 of 1