BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 46 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 46 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 98
Cap Badge : OX2 9BU
Places Served : B.A.O.R. Uk. Aden. Libya. +
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Empty
PostSubject: Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.   Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime10/6/2016, 10:27

Gents.
A very good day to all looking in.
If you remember some time ago now I told you I was part of the team (three of us) here in Oxford City that organize the Repatriation Parades for Military personnel  coming home from Afghan etc.
There are three other teams along the Sad route that also send in reports  and photos.
These are all put together and I then send them to Regts/Corps & Families of the Fallen.Another sad task.

I have now put together from the reports ( all be it  slightly condensed for this forum). that I write for each and every time the sad occasions arises.
Also many photos to go with them.
It was an Honor to have been involved with this from day one. All be it  a very sad one to.
I will as always pass on the photos to Len to post up for me....(Thank you Len).

I write this today as I felt you might have thought I had overlooked this.No......This will as you can image be a lot of post as it covers many years now.

So Gents have a good day/week-end and I will start as and when our Len gives me the OK to post up.

Regard to you all

John.

Last edited by Johnwalker on 24/2/2017, 19:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.   Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime8/8/2016, 11:38

Gents....Hope this finds you all well.

I bring you up to date on this Repatriation Topic.

Have now got permission to post up photos of the Parades  etc.However still await one important call from a friend who is very much involved with this Parade and he returns to The UK end of this week.
(Saturday 14th.) I feel pretty sure this will be an OK from him.

Will then post the 1st report and the early photos to Dear Len.

In the mean time stay safe and have a good week.

John.
Oxford.
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.   Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime18/10/2016, 16:15

Gents.

I up-date you as to what is happening here at The Final Turn here in Oxford.

Some time ago now a Former RAF Police Veterian Brian Crossin came up with the idea we should have a Memorial area here at The Final Turn for the 456 Fallen we have seen Home.

Wonderful and I have encouraged him to push this along.This he has done and done so well ..here are the results.

He approached a local Garden center with ref purchasing 456 bulbs and compost etc.
Believe or not they were not to helpful.........No Names !!.
He then went direct to the large Lincoln growing area and asked there.They could have not been more helpful.
Brian explain that we were going to pay like all others..No .Yes so they let us have them at Trade price and free delivery.
These are now at Brian's house.
Brian & I contacted the John Radcliffe Hospital who own and look after the grass verge where we thought of placing these bulbs.
Again very helpful people.They arranged a meeting with us (Brian.Former Para our Parade Marshall, Graham Whelan and I ) at the said location.
We explained where we would like it etc,. No probs they in turn checked the area for underground pipes etc as you have to and a few weeks later we got the go ahead from them.
I have spoken to The Deputy- Lord Lt/Oxon Brig(Rtd) Ian Inshaw who has passed on the info to his office.
Brigadier Ian Inshaw has been with us at The Final Turn for many years now.Well as often as his duties allows.
(also a great supporter of The RDGA Oxon Branch---Has attended many of our Blenheim Annual Dinners).

The Planting of the bulbs will take place on Friday 28th October @ 1100 hrs.

We Have a group of RBL Riders coming along to help,The Deputy Lord Lt will also be there helping along with also a few vets from RAF Police & Para's Plus a group from Thames Valley Police..This is being overseen by the admin Dept of The J.R Hospital.
To follow on from this we spoke to the Catholic Church ages ago (where we all Park /use their rear Hall for our Tea area etc) and have done so from day one about a plaque to go on their wall.No problems here and that is now in hand to.

We plan to hold a Dedication Service for that some time next year about March/April time thinking by then the bulbs might be showing through by then.This will of course involve a lot of people and The Oxford Mail are already on stand by for this.I spoke to them just last week to pass over the planting day date and they are coming to photo this to as they want to cover the whole story.

So Gents there we are I will keep you all updated on this.

We Will Remember Them.

Regards to all looking in.

John.

I add here I am still not completely happy with my reports & photos as I promised I would post up ref The Oxfordshire Repatriation Parades.But it will happen.
John.[/color]
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.   Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime29/10/2016, 14:40

Gents...From today's Oxford Mail. 29th Oct.
Floral tribute for repatriated Afghanistan troops
Planting daffodils at the entrance to the John Radcliffe
A floral tribute near the John Radcliffe Hospital will create a permanent memorial to 456 military personnel who died in the Afghanistan conflict.
After they lost their lives they were repatriated and corteges arrived at the hospital for post mortem examinations.
On each occasion veterans gathered in Headley Way to form a guard of honour at the entrance of the hospital to pay tribute when troops were repatriated.
Today a team of volunteers planted 456 daffodil bulbs on land next to St Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, known as ‘The Final Turn’.
The flowers will bloom in spring when a ceremony will be held to unveil a plaque dedicated to the memory of those who died.
Brian Crossin, 81, a veteran of the RAF Police, who lives in Didcot, came up with the idea of the floral tribute.
After planting some King Alfred Trumpet daffodil bulbs Mr Crossin said: “I went to nearly all the repatriations and when the troops came out of Afghanistan thankfully they stopped.
“But the soldiers who were repatriated here should never be forgotten and now every spring there will be a big splash of colour to ensure they will be remembered.”
John Walker, 76, from Botley, served with the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards in the 1960s to the 1970s.
John is one of the three organizers who has been there from day one.It was John who gave the location it's name."The Final Turn."
He said: “The repatriations started in 2008 and the last ones took place in October last year.
I’m delighted with the support we have received from volunteers who have helped us to plant the daffodils and from the hospital trust, which has allowed this to take place on its land.”     Also a great thank you once again to The Catholic Church.
Chief Insp Celia Agger, of Thames Valley Police, among those planting the bulbs, said: “This will become a focal point for soldiers’ families and the local community.”
Ann Latham, 53, from Carterton, planted bulbs with husband Clive, 54, a former Bombardier in the Royal Artillery.
They are members of the Royal British Legion’s Riders Branch.
Mum-of-two Mrs Latham said: “We went to every single Repat - I think this floral tribute will become a focal point and ensure these brave soldiers will never be forgotten.”
John Walker added Further details will be given with reference to next year's Dedication Parade next spring.
Melanie Moughton, a spokeswoman for Felix Fund charity, which supports soldiers from an Oxford t base (Vauxhall Barracks-Didcot), said: “Everyone at Felix Fund and the regiment supports this lasting tribute.”
The hospital trust's facilities officer Angela Lee said: "We were delighted to be able to help the veterans and look forward to a magnificent floral display in the spring."

John.RDGA.Oxon.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]Photos of the above day will follow.Regards to all looking in. John.Oxford.

Last edited by Johnwalker on 24/2/2017, 19:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.   Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime6/1/2017, 14:51

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Lance Corporal Scott Hetherington, aged 22.
Lance Corporal Scott Hetherington
Lance Corporal Scott Hetherington
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Lance Corporal Scott Hetherington, of 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, who died in Iraq on Monday 2 January 2017, following an incident at Camp Taji, north of Baghdad, in Iraq. He was a member of Blenheim Company and a Vehicle Commander in the Force Protection Platoon.

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Singleton, Commanding Officer, 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, said:

Lance Corporal Scott Hetherington was a superb soldier and a first class leader. Utterly professional and talented, he was full of character, fun and his enthusiasm was infectious. The Battalion has lost a huge talent and a real character. He will be missed dearly and we will never forget him. Our hearts go out to his parents, his siblings, his girlfriend and his young daughter. They are in all of our thoughts.

Lance Corporal Lynch, Force Protection Platoon, Blenheim Company, 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, said:

Snowball was a top bloke. You could always count on him to have a laugh, and he always had an answer for everything. He was such a big character. He will be greatly missed by the whole Battalion.

Major General Rupert Jones, Deputy Coalition Commander, said:

The entire international coalition mourns the loss of Lance Corporal Hetherington. He died helping support our Iraqi partners to defeat Daesh and so protect the United Kingdom. His family and loved ones are in all our hearts and thoughts.

Minister of State for the Armed Forces Mike Penning said:

It is with great sadness and regret that I can confirm that Lance Corporal Scott Hetherington from Manchester died at Camp Taji in Iraq on Monday. Our thoughts are with the soldier’s family, friends and colleagues, and I would ask that their privacy is respected at this difficult time. An investigation has started into the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We here at The Final Turn in Oxford have been told to stand by for Thursday 12th Jan. .We expect The Cortege to pass us by at 1530 hrs appox.(TBC).

Their Courage and Sacrifice Will Never be Forgotten.

John.
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.   Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime11/1/2017, 18:59

I have been advised by RAF Brize Norton that
the aircraft will land at approx 1.30pm Thursday 12th Jan.. It is estimated that the cortege will pass the Memorial Garden between 3.30pm and 4pm, reaching The Final Turn
( John Radcliffe Hospital )between 4.30pm and 5pm.

Norton Way Carterton will be closed from approximately 1.30pm, whilst Station Road, Brize Norton, will be closed for approximately 10 minutes once the cortege leaves Britannia Gate at RAF Brize Norton.

There will be road closures in place at the Marston Ferry Road / Cherwell Drive Junction, Marston Road / Cherwell Drive Junction, and at the mini roundabout by the entrance to the John Radcliffe Hospital. Please expect severe delays in this area whilst the road closures are in operation.

The weather forecast for Thursday is expected to be cold with wintry showers.

We Will Remember Them.

John.QS.
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.   Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime14/1/2017, 14:46

Gents.....

We here at The Final Turn.Oxford stood our ground to Honour L/Cpl S Hetherington of The 2nd Batt/The Duke of Lancaster's Regt .

The Aircraft landed at RAF Brize-Norton at 1330 hrs.

After a Family service on the base the cortege left the base coming by the rear gate Britanian Gate.

Then  through the village of Brize-Norton here also as always a gathering of loyal supporters paying their respects.

Then  onto The Memorial Gardens at Carterton.

Here as always a the Cortege stops for a while for the family and friends.

Many Standards and Military personnel were there as were  many people from the local area.

This is where Cllr Lynn Little Mayor of Carterton with her team take the close family and friends to the local Carterton Sports center
where they are able to relax and here they are presented with The Tribute that is given to all fallen Military personnel...as you have already been shown.

The Cortege then dives on towards Oxford  passing the village of Minster-lovell where another as always group of people gather to pay their respects.

Then driving Along the A40 road passing by the village of Eynsham where again many people stand and pay their respects.

I add here on many of the flyovers and side roads and small country lanes hundreds also stand and see  The Cortege go by.

The Cortege comes into Oxford via the Marston turning  and then up Headley way to us at The Final Turn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Parade at The Final Turn;

Deputy Lord Lt of Oxfordshire Brigadier (Rtd) Ian Inshaw.DL.MIoD.
Col (Rtd) Bruce Duncan.MBE.RTR.
WO1 T Young.MBE.
Oxford Lord Mayor Mohammed Altaf-Khan
(I add here Mr Khan  has been with us many times in the past as a councillor).
President of Oxfordshire RBL .Linda Atkins.
V/Present of Oxfordshire RBL Mr Jim Lewendon.

Supt J Kidman Thames Valley Police .
A/Insp M Williams and their team.

A team from Oxfordshire C/Council helping with the traffic signs etc.

There were 55 vets from all three services ..including The Parachute Regt.(oxon -Branch) The RAF Police (Oxon )   and appox 120 members of the Oxford Public.

A group from the RBL Riders Oxfordshire under the command  of former Royal Artillery Soldier Clive Latham.

Apologies;

C/Inspector C Agger T.V Police.
Judith Baker .RBL Women's Section.Kidlington.
Brian Crossin (Former RAF Police).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the fact the weather was quite  bad....2 oc and raining/sleet most of the day and in fact as the Cortege passed us by in the dark there was a heavy snowfall .
Sadly therefore it was noted that only 4 Standards were on Parade ..Three  RBL and The Standard of The Household Div (Banbury) and the Banner of The Royal Dragoon Guards Association.
(I should like to add here The RDG-Association  Banner was Paraded for me by RBL Rider Clive Latham as I had other duties to perform ).I thank Clive.

Once again we thank Father Augustus from The Church of St Anthony of Padua for allowing us the use of the car-park,washing facilities and rear Hall for our Tea/Coffee area.

As always John (caretaker of The Church ) helped me to raise The Union Flag and then place at half mast early in the day.
and again lowering it at the end of the day also helping clearing away the Tea/Coffee area from the rear Hall long after the Parade.Thank you John
also assisted here by Jim Lewendon.

The Parade Marshall was Former Parachute Soldier G Whelan .
The Cortege passed us by at apx 1700 hrs.

Their Courage And Sacrifice Will Not be Forgotten.

John.
RDGA..Oxon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.   Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repatriation Parades. Oxford shire.
Page 1 of 1