BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Assination of JFK in 1963 - Can You Remember?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
unclevanya
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 220
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Assination of JFK in 1963 - Can You Remember?   1/9/2016, 11:06

This may have been done already - so appoligies. Does anyone remember where they were, and what they were doing way back in November 1963 when JFK was shot on November 22nd 1963?

I had 'signed on' on the 5th of November 1963, and was in my 3rd week of Basic (Phase One) at Vimy Lines (Vimy C), Catterick Garrison. I was relaxing in the NAAFI as you do when the news came through on the BBC TV news. Of course this did not impact on us squaddies. However the next day, on first works parade we were lined up and told what would be happening.

The usual 10 or 12 week Basic training was shortened to 6 or 7 weeks, and then after pass out pa
rade, we all recived our orders to report to various Phase Two (Trade training). I was sent to Garrats hey for Spec Op training, but had to remuster after a few weeks as i had a problem with the Morse speeds.

I was sent out to Germany (BAOR) at 16 Sigs, Brabury Barracks for my B3 Comcen Op course. Of course in the days and weeks after the JFK assinantion, the Yanks, NATO and UK forces were on high alert 9Defcon 30 so i beleive. it was all a troubling time, but so far off in time now.

Can anyone here still around who served in those far of days still recall what they were doing? Sad afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csqnblackhat
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 32
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Hohne, 11th Hussars, Munsterlager, 4 Fd Regt R.A. Warminster, School of Infantry Demo Squadron, 2RTR and 13/18 Hussars.
Registration date : 2011-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Assination of JFK in 1963 - Can You Remember?   2/9/2016, 17:34

I was an Apprentice at AAS Carlisle at that time, and myself and a mate were wandering over the square on our way to the NAAFI for an early evening cuppa when someone came up to us and informed us what had happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1017
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Assination of JFK in 1963 - Can You Remember?   3/9/2016, 10:31

Siting out on the lone prairie at check point G (Gulf) doing comms for the Met. Troop from the School of Artillery who were doing Met. observation/trials that were for drones. Yes in 1963 the drone was on the planning board for some one. When they sent word out to us that Kennedy was shot, the dough head met. types wouldn't believe me. So bet a case of beer. Didn't have the balls to pay me. Next day I tell them that the shooter is killed, this time they believed me. Obviously thought that RC Sigs , RTG Ops had nothing to do but make up false traffic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assination of JFK in 1963 - Can You Remember?   Today at 05:44

Back to top Go down

Assination of JFK in 1963 - Can You Remember?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1