BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 62 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 62 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Hermann The German Denkmal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Hermann The German Denkmal Empty
PostSubject: Hermann The German Denkmal   Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime28/6/2008, 22:50

One of my fondest memories were the frequent trips my parents and I took up to Detmold to view the Hermann the German monument. It never failed to impress the hell out of me on a swack of levels.

While not American, I couldn't help but notice the similarity between Hermann (actually Arminius) and the Statue of Liberty which stands on Staten Island in the New York City harbour. If memory serves, there is a connection between the two, I just cannot now remember what it was. Same sculptor perhaps? Although Liberty is French-made and Hermann is German....hmmmm....

I also liked the subsidary sculptures of Roman and Germanic warrior busts which lined (or used to, at least) the approach to the monument, even though I didn't understand the significance of them. I did understand that Arminius was a local folk hero for having defeated and routed the hated Romans back in the day, however.

While the location of the monument was for many years touted as near the site of his famous battle in the Teutonwald against the Roman Legions it is now believed the actual site is a few kilometers away (archeological evidence) and that the representation of Arminius, complete with winged helmet, is very much a 19th Century romanticization of ancient Germanic warriors...much like how the Vikings are shown with horned and winged helmets when in actual fact they never wore such things. Shame, really, as they are quite impressive but I suppose totally impractical in battle!

I always found it interesting as well that poor ol' Hermann has pockmarks on various parts of his body because the RAF used to use him as target practice! Bit of an outrage at the time, to be sure, but now just part of his history.

I remember the smell of the imbiss' (sizzling bratwurst and a side of sauerkraut) and the aroma wafting from the vendors selling those dark bread heart-shaped confections (the name of which I forget). They had a particular flavour to them -- somewhat bitter but also sweet, grainy, dark, and very very chewable!! I suspect the items would last years and that unsold stock would be kicking around for about as long!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Hermann The German Denkmal   Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime8/7/2008, 10:40

hah,

my meories of "Herman" are of having to run up and down as a punishment.

Did go back years later though and did it the easy way by car Smile

Leberkusen is the name of the cakes Stephen, or something like that I think. My German is vanishing with so little use
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Hermann The German Denkmal   Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime8/7/2008, 18:02

Stephen Lock wrote:
While the location of the monument was for many years touted as near the site of his famous battle in the Teutonwald against the Roman Legions it is now believed the actual site is a few kilometers away (archeological evidence) and that the representation of Arminius, complete with winged helmet, is very much a 19th Century romanticization of ancient Germanic warriors...much like how the Vikings are shown with horned and winged helmets when in actual fact they never wore such things. Shame, really, as they are quite impressive but I suppose totally impractical in battle!

And the rest Stephen! I can recomend a book called 'In Quest of the Lost Legions the Varussschlacht' written by Maj Tony Clunn MBE, who I believe is the SSO of Osnabruck. In 1987 he discovered 160 Denarri at Kalkriese, an area north of Osnabruck between Bramsche and Ostercappeln, archaeologists have excavated numerous Roman militaria, everyday objects and coins. The findings prove that here in AD 9 fighting took place.

Stephen Lock wrote:
I remember the smell of the imbiss' (sizzling bratwurst and a side of sauerkraut) and the aroma wafting from the vendors selling those dark bread heart-shaped confections (the name of which I forget). They had a particular flavour to them -- somewhat bitter but also sweet, grainy, dark, and very very chewable!! I suspect the items would last years and that unsold stock would be kicking around for about as long!!

Are you on about Lebkuchen?
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Hermann The German Denkmal   Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime9/7/2008, 09:39

Lebkuchen, that's it Soprano. Spot on.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Hermann The German Denkmal   Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime14/7/2008, 21:32

Yes, Soprano, it was Lebkuchen I was "on about" (I haven't heard that phrase for many many years! LOL)...odd taste to them, somewhat bitter but with an overlay of sweet and a bit of an "overdone" taste, but not unpleasant. And the aroma of them is so firmly connected to my memories.

I come across some here and there here in Calgary once in a while but they just aren't the same (I suspect the vendors carried the stock over from year to year!!).

Those and marzipan animals...Mmmmmm....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hermann The German Denkmal   Hermann The German Denkmal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hermann The German Denkmal
Page 1 of 1