BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 57 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 57 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Football championships, Sherwood Foresters

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JochenFrank
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-03-05

Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Empty
PostSubject: Football championships, Sherwood Foresters   Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime5/3/2018, 11:45

Dear Sirs, Ladies and Gentlemen,

for years I am trying to find out about the life of my grandfather, Wilfried (sometimes Will, Willi) FRANK. Since he has left our family in 1951, I am trying to get as many Information that I can.

From an article in the public newspaper of Herford from 1950, I learned that he had trained the BAOR Team "Sherwood Foresters" in Football, to win the "Nordmeister" Championship, in his earlier vita. I wonder in which year and where this has been. Are there any records? Whom can I ask to help me, finding out more?

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much.

Regards,
Jochen Frank
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Football championships, Sherwood Foresters   Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime6/3/2018, 10:04

Jochen, Good day and welcome to the forum,

I hope somone might be able to help you. Can you send a copy of the newspaper please. Was your grandfather a German civillian or a British soldier?

It is possible you may have a problem placing the newspaper copy/photo here for 2 weeks, because you are a new member.

I have sent you a pm with my email address. If you send me by email any newspaper photocopies, I will  place them on here for you.

Regards
Alan
Back to top Go down
JochenFrank
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Football championships, Sherwood Foresters   Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime6/3/2018, 15:28

Thank you very much, Alan, for your help. Some additional facts about my grandfather:

Name and date/place of birth: Willfried Egon FRANK, born 16.Jan.1916 in Berlin Moabit (which is not proven yet - birth certificate cannot be found, was destroyed in war ???)

some kind of relation to Wolverhampton - either as Prisoner of War, or before the war, he trained with the Wolverhampton Wanderers Junior team ... we are waiting for an answer from the Wolves' Archivar

Thank you all so much for your help - we are working on this riddle for more than 5 years already.
Back to top Go down
JochenFrank
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Football championships, Sherwood Foresters   Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime6/3/2018, 15:31

Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Inkedh10

This is from the Herford public newspaper from Jan 21, 1950.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Football championships, Sherwood Foresters   Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime6/3/2018, 15:44

Jochen,
I have received your pm.

Good that you have found a method of posting the newspaper report.

There might be a chance that an ex soldier will remember the Sherwood Foresters and the football training.

Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Football championships, Sherwood Foresters   Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime9/3/2018, 10:43

Jochen

Welcome

Unfortunately I don't think we ever have had contact from a member of the Sherwood Foresters in the period you are researching and the small dedicated research team based on this site interests' are else where at present

However from my own working notes and postings in respect of the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment on this site I believe the Sherwood Foresters where based in Manchester Barracks Goslar from 1948 till 1952. Goslar was a very popular posting for the British at the time with plenty of opportunity for sport. How/why your Grandfather (based in the Herford area?) got involved with their Championship Winning Side is a mystery. Will be interesting to know the reason if you ever find out
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Football championships, Sherwood Foresters   Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime10/3/2018, 11:02

Welcome Jochen

Further to JPW’s post, I can assist with the regimental locations in the early days of BAOR:

1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)
24 Nov 45 – arrived from the United Kingdom via Hamm to Eslohe south-east of Neheim
1 Mar 46 – Recklinghausen
4 Jun 46 – Oldenburg
16 Jun 46 – Vancouver Barracks formally Caspari Kaserne Delmenhorst
20 Mar 47 – St Patrick’s Barracks formally Estorf Kaserne Hamburg-Wansbek
5 Mar 48 – Essex Barracks formally Mackensen Kaserne Hildesheim
15 Aug 48 – amalgamated with 2nd Battalion
24 Sep 48 – Manchester Barracks (Fleigerhorst Camp) Goslar
Jun 52 – to United Kingdom

The regiment produced a regular booklet “Maroon and Green” showing their activities, I have edition no 17 dated 20 Jul 46, unfortunately no mention of your grandfather, do not know how deep you want to go but if you Google “Maroon and Green Sherwood” you will see a full set is available at the Imperial War Museum

Best of luck with your research

Last edited by steve on 12/3/2018, 19:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Finger trouble)
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football championships, Sherwood Foresters   Football championships, Sherwood Foresters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Football championships, Sherwood Foresters
Page 1 of 1