BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 42 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 41 Guests :: 2 Bots

steve

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Born in Schleswig under REME

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jorunn
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-06-19

Born in Schleswig under REME Empty
PostSubject: Born in Schleswig under REME   Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime19/6/2019, 20:48

I was born in Schleswig in January 1953 when my father, lieutenant I believe, of the Norwegian Army was stationed under RAF? REME (I have the REME plaque). After the troops were sent home, my father stayed on for another year. I do not know a lot about the time there except that we had very good accommodations and I was born in a hospital under a German doctor. I would love to discover more.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Born in Schleswig under REME   Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime20/6/2019, 09:39

Welcome to the site, jlinzen.

We have a few people who have history data from Schleswig, Kiel and Eckernforde. We might be able to identify the units and locations.

I have PM you. Click on alan376 to the left of this message or the bottom of this message.. Maybe you can send me a photo of the Reme plaque via email? From the details on the plaque, it maybe easier to identify the unit.

My wife has family in Schleswig. I have visited the town of Schleswig and Kiel very often.

Regards.. Alan in UK
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: Born in Schleswig under REME   Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime21/6/2019, 21:58

As promised. Here is the REME SHIELD that our latest member 'Jlindzen' mentioned below. My initial thoughts are that the small shields ( Coat of Arms) (In German Wappen),  represent locations that Norwegian Units have served in in Germany?

I am not sure if there is anything missing from the Reme Badge.  Maybe an early attempt to create a Norwegian Reme after the later  Reme Badge. See also below.

I was born in Schleswig in January 1953 when my father, lieutenant I believe, of the Norwegian Army was stationed under RAF? REME (I have the REME plaque). After the troops were sent home, my father stayed on for another year. I do not know a lot about the time there except that we had very good accommodations and I was born in a hospital under a German doctor. I would love to discover more.

Born in Schleswig under REME AZZ2jRj

Born in Schleswig under REME LIfPtHt
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Born in Schleswig under REME   Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime22/6/2019, 09:47

Welcome

I too have a strong link with Schleswig Holstein and have been researching the Norwegian presence in the area for some years now.

The Norwegian Maintenance Company was based in Neumunster but the Norwegians used the hospital in Schleswig where Norwegian Doctors and nurses were also based.

The fact that your mother was permitted to accompany yor father to Germany suggests he was a member of the Brigade Staff in Schleswig on a two/three year tour and not a member of subordinate units comprised mainly of National servicemen who rotated every year.
Back to top Go down
Jorunn
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Born in Schleswig under REME   Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime22/6/2019, 17:00

JPW,

This is very interesting information. I am going to copy some further information that I had written in an email to Alan.

My oldest sister, who remained in Norway during our time in Germany, said my father was an officer and she believed his duties were 'white collar' rather than being a mechanic or such. She believes he became a Captain at some point and he went to an office in Norway to work in the military after leaving Germany.

Looking back on some emails between myself and my Mother, she told me they were in Germany for about 2 1/2 years, the first year was when I was born. However, I was born in January of 1953 so that would mean they came to Schleswig in 1952. She said 'after we moved to the British Airforce barracks' they mostly socialized with British Pilots. Prior, they had socialized with Norwegians.

After the Norwegian troops left Germany, only my father remained for another year. I don't know how that correlates with moving to the British barracks. We had German nannies and servants. Everything was taken care of and there was no cost for food or anything else. She loved it there.

Jorunn
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Born in Schleswig under REME   Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime22/6/2019, 18:53

Jorunn,

Did your Mother ever mention; Living near a Convent or on Jagel Airbase (Schleswig Land)?

There were also USA personnel accmodated based in Schleswig. Was there ever any reference to them?

Alan

Note: From a web site.

In autumn 1948 the forces in Northern Germany were being reorganized, and a Norwegian brigade (482nd) from Harzen moved to Schleswig-Holstein. On 11th of April 1953 the Norwegian contingent held their closing parade on RAF Schleswigland Airfield after completing exercise VIKING II with the Danish Brigade.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Born in Schleswig under REME   Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime24/6/2019, 09:33

Jorunn

Have had a chance to reread your earlier comments and compare these with my personal data base on the Norwegian Brigade in Germany (Tykslandbrigaden).

I think there are two distinct parts to your query.

Firstly where did your father serve and where did your family live?

From your comments I think he was a member of the small permanent cadre of the Norwegian Army, not a National Service conscript,who was posted to the Brigade Headquarters as a Staff Officer. His tour of duty was then extended when the main Brigade Headquarters returned to Norway and he appears to have been part of a small team who remained behind to complete the bureaucratic processes in handing back the former Norwegian barracks to British Army control and operational matters to the Norwegian Ministry of Defence in Oslo.

I am certain he must have worked in the Brigade Headquarters located in the former Kriegsmarine Seaplane base known locally as Marine Kaserne, this was subsequently renamed Caterham Barracks by the British (the Norwegians may, as elsewhere, given it an unofficial Norwegian themed name but I have yet to confirm this. After the Bundeswehr took over the complex it was finally renamed An der Freiheit but closed completely following the reduction of the German Armed Forces following the end of the Cold War and tension withe Soviet dominated Warsaw Pact Forces. The entire complex was subsequently demolished and little remains. In his final year in Schleswig he may have moved out to work and certainly live in the former Luftwaffe Fliegerhorst Jagel which became RAF Schleswig
(sometimes referred to as RAF Schleswigland) to the south of the town.

So far as the family home is concerned there was a very small estate of married quarters within the Caterham Barracks complex. Originally built in the Hitler era but refurbished by the British, these were earmarked for use by those entitled personnel, including the Norwegians, employed in the Brigade Headquarters. However I cannot think of a reason why your family moved out to the RAF controlled married quarters at Jagel.

Regarding the quality of life comments. At the time of your father's arrival in Germany the Status of Forces Act applicable throughout the British Zone of West Germany retained the fact that the military units were still an occupying force entitled to free accommodation and basic rations (this also applied to entitled families). There were a significant war widows (including single mothers) increased by refugees from East Germany living in Schleswig Holstein. It was a British policy to provide an opportunity for some of them to have the chance to earn a very basic living wage and to work as domestic servants such as Housekeepers, Cooks, or Nannies. Things were to change dramatically during your father's time with the admission of West Germany as full military members of the NATO alliance. The loss of free domestic support was very much missed by the families. One other thing has not been mentioned. Many of the married quarters were heated by a coke fired boiler in the cellar. The British would have employed one or two boiler men to visit each house on the estate at least twice a day to feed the boiler fire and check that the heating system was in good order. However In some barracks, including any married quarters, hot water was pumped from a central boiler house round the entire complex.

More to follow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Born in Schleswig under REME   Born in Schleswig under REME Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Born in Schleswig under REME
Page 1 of 1