BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 19:14 by alan8376

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:18 by steve

» Sennelager 1977
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Does anyone recognise this building ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod262
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-01-11

Does anyone recognise this building ? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime11/1/2021, 14:34

I was wondering if anyone recognised the building shown in the attached photo which was taken in May 1945. It was thought that the picture might have been taken at or in the vicinity of the Bergen Hohne camp. It was taken by a member of the 113th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery at the time of the 1945 Victory parade which was held there.
It looks to have been a reasonably high profile building such as an HQ / Mess building perhaps.
Rod 262
Does anyone recognise this building ? Img_2412
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime12/1/2021, 17:58

Hi, welcome

I don't recognise the building! I am not an expert on Hohne Garrison.

There were a few Victory Parades held as far as I know, the main one was obviouly in Berlin.

There was another Victory Parade held around the same time at Belsen Camp area, which is nearby to Hohne.

Regards
Alan
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1005
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime13/1/2021, 09:49

Rod 262

From my research post VE Day 8 May 45:

113th (2nd/5th Durham Light Infantry) Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery of 100th Anti-Aircraft Brigade attached 103rd Anti-Aircraft Brigade
Commanding Officer: Lieutenant Colonel WH Mather OBE TD
Regimental Headquarters: Bergen-Belsen, Landkreis Celle with all batteries
23 May 45 – Bergen-Lohheide Kaserne, Landkreis Celle with all batteries
24 May 45 – returns to 100th Anti-Aircraft Brigade relieved by 102nd Control Section moving to a harbour area in Hamburg-Harburg

So the building could be within Bergen-Lohheide Kaserne complex

Hope this helps
https://britisharmyingermany.com

alan8376 and Rod262 like this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime13/1/2021, 12:04

I'm still looking for the photo location.

On Ebay a Lohheide Kaserne pre 1945photo is for sale. Sadly the building has a different window set up.

There was also a British Military Hospital building mentioned, but again the silouhette does not fit!

A lot has disappeared from the original area, including the big old bakery.

German Privacy Laws prohibit detailed Google access. Thus the darkened shapes etc.

Here is a short video (Owned by Durham County Record Office

https://youtu.be/SdoVoqAc1G4

Rod262 likes this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime13/1/2021, 18:59

Whilst  looking around photos, I found this one showing celebration of Victory Parade in Bremerhaven, on I think, 12 May 1945.

Maybe the parade was orientated around the American's presence as well in this harbour town?

(One for Steve!).

Picture Courtesy of Imperial War Museum  IWM.

Does anyone recognise this building ? IMn0aEM

steve likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rod262
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-01-11

PostSubject: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime18/1/2021, 15:42

Great link to the Durham video Alan,

It ties in with the attached photo showing what is believed to be 370 Battery of 113 LAA Regiment when firing the Victory Salute at Belsen which is referred to in an interesting article about the Regiment at:

http://www.theobservationpost.com/blog/?p=1508 and which includes the following description of the parade:

‘On VE Day 9th May the Regiment paraded through Hohne Camp, starting at the corner of the Belsen Concentration Camp past British, US Soviet and US Senior officers who took the salute to the sports pitch where the 54 guns of the Regiment fired ten rounds single shot and ten rounds automatic to celebrate victory and peace in Europe.’

The rear of the photo is annotated 'Belsen Horror Camp, 1945 Victory Salute'. It is believed to be one of a set taken and given to each member of the 113th as official photos.

Rod 262

Does anyone recognise this building ? Img_2417

AlienFTM and alan8376 like this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime19/1/2021, 09:29

I have asked a friend of mine who lives very close to Lohhheide/Bergen. I have submitted these photo to him to ask around local residents and German Mil to see if the building in the photo could have been local?

The ebay photo I am posting here has 2 pane windows, others have the 3 pane windows,  arched openings. The ebay photo of a German Regiment in Lohheide, which clearly shows narrow window openings and the typical lower brickwork.

The garrison of Hohne photo shown in a build stage are if a different style accomodation blocks. (see those to the right of the 'Round House' photo).

Does anyone recognise this building ? O8OKBRU

Does anyone recognise this building ? Mq76p3u

Does anyone recognise this building ? Odj2knw

Does anyone recognise this building ? Xj79yno

Does anyone recognise this building ? I544DUj

The last photo shows the conversion of the building in 2nd and 3rd photo, which was a 'Gut' (a posh farm house called, Villa Bredenbec) which was always the 'Officers Mess for the British. Note the wide windows/different window openings.  The rest of the architecture doesn't fit in with the photo Rod 262 originally posted.  Is it possible that the roof etc would have been changed as well???

One photo not shown, is the British Military Hospital at Hohne post WW2.  What photos I did see were aerial photos and not good enough to post here. The building silhouette did not fit in!  Maybe there was a hidden perspective? Has anyone got a photo of that BMH. None found on the net!

Late edition added
The Glyn Hughes Hospital. Built 1938 for the Wehrmacht.
Does anyone recognise this building ? CTaAtas

Does anyone recognise this building ? 9Ua5N2Z

Rod262 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Poenk
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime30/1/2021, 17:23

Hello, I am a German officer who is looking around a lot in old barracks all over Germany and former German areas.
The picture shows a building that was constructed in the architecture of before 1914.
It should be a building of the "emperor's time" between 1871 and 1914.
That reduces the location of the building to Munster Lager or Soltau if not a completely different place, probably Paderborn or other places with pre-1914 barracks.

Unfortunately I haven't found a match yet in my archives.

Best regards from Cologne

Kai
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime30/1/2021, 17:45

Hi Kai, I posted the photo.
I'll try to show you where it is!

Alan

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime30/1/2021, 18:01

Kai,

The hospital original location is near Bergen Belsen. It was a Lazeret.  

The location has been covered with Privacy markers due to it being in a German  Kaserne

The link I am sending is from this very site we are usuing. You have discovered it yet!

https://www.baor-locations.org/glynnhughes.aspx.html

Have a look!

Alan

PS. I think the area in green was the Glyn Hughes Hospital?

Does anyone recognise this building ? VNWC4Xr

Last edited by alan8376 on 30/1/2021, 18:55; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Poenk
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime30/1/2021, 18:53

Alan,

thank You for the information. In fact I've had a close look at all BOAR locations offered in the website before. I find it a very useful source of information that You otherwise wouldn't get so easily.
I should have been more precise on trying to answer the request of Rod262. Rolling Eyes

The former "Lazarett" is in fact interesting in its architecture.
Normally military hospitals were built in "T" shape.
In other cases there were large balkonies built in to offer the inmates some fresh air without leaving the station.

I've been in one of these hospitals myself in 1997 in Amberg (Bavaria) that is still called "Lazarett" by the population today.

On the request on Rod262 I still haven't found an answer.
The building might as well show a school, after they mostly were used as military installations at the end of the war.

Best regards

Kai
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime30/1/2021, 18:58

See my latest map. Added in previous note.

The hospital was near the Bergen-Belsen KZ.

Alan
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime17/2/2021, 19:44

Found this today while researching in 2nd Army documents for Bergen-Belsen Apr/May 45
Does anyone recognise this building ? Bergen10
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime17/2/2021, 20:00

The German Hospital fits in with my Plan Map of Glyn Hughes Hospital
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime19/2/2021, 13:13

alan8376 wrote:
Whilst  looking around photos, I found this one showing celebration of Victory Parade in Bremerhaven, on I think, 12 May 1945.

Maybe the parade was orientated around the American's presence as well in this harbour town?

(One for Steve!).

Picture Courtesy of Imperial War Museum  IWM.

Does anyone recognise this building ? IMn0aEM

Alan

Correct, this is indeed 12 May 45 the parade started at 11:00 hrs and the saluting dais is on the junction of Pestalozzistraße and Hafenstraße, the view is looking up Hafenstraße and commander 30 Corps (Lt Gen Sir BG Horrocks KBE CB DSO MC) is taking the salute, the handover of the town to the Americans was 8 days later.  Take care.

Information from GS Branch 51st (Highland) Infantry Division War Diary WO 171-4246 study
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime19/2/2021, 13:16

Thanks Steve,

I have sent Peter the IWM Artist name etc.

Alan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone recognise this building ?   Does anyone recognise this building ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does anyone recognise this building ?
Page 1 of 1