BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 29 field ambulance
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime14/5/2024, 02:34 by Pborn4

» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime10/5/2024, 18:53 by AlienFTM

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime9/5/2024, 10:16 by SarahN

» Sennelager 1977
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-01-03

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Empty
PostSubject: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime3/1/2022, 15:29

Hi all,

This is my first post so apologies if I’m doing something wrong or putting this in the wrong part of the forum.
My father, who has recently passed away, was based in Düsseldorf doing his National Service in the mid 50’s but he never really told me much about it. I have found a wonderful photo album of his time there and i was thinking of taking a trip to Düsseldorf to have a look around. I understand that the barracks are no longer there but I wondered if anyone knew exactly where they used to be? Also my Dad has written Rhine Centre on the back of some of the photos but I cannot find any trace of this place either- does anyone know where it used to be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I have tried to upload a couple of pictures of the barracks but i don’t know if it will work or even if it is allowed so apologies if not)
Thanks Adrian

alan8376, Johnwalker, Deloooboy and Lohausen like this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/1/2022, 09:51

Hi welcome to the site.

Posting photos is usually restricted for a few weeks!

I have PM'd you!

Alan

arpcap likes this post

Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1005
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/1/2022, 10:13

Adrian

https://www.baor-locations.org/CarnaervonBks.aspx.html

Hope this 1955 map below helps with orientation, note “Kas”, if you put Flughafen Dusseldorf into Google Earth the remains of the barracks can be found off Klaus-Bungert-Straße

Hope this helps

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Caerna10

alan8376 and arpcap like this post

Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/1/2022, 15:04

Thanks for the welcome Alan and your PM. I’ve sent you an email.

Many thanks for the great map and the information Steve. That’s wonderful to be able to see where the barracks were. Do you know if that map is available to download from the internet? I wondered if it may show where the Rhine Centre was as I believe it may have been in the Nordpark area of Düsseldorf?

Thanks again
Adrian
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/1/2022, 15:47

Photos submitted for Aidrian
. I believe one of my Dad’s pictures is of the main to the barracks and the other is taken within the barracks itself. Hopefully they may jog some memories for anyone else who was based there.

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  R9Gu40x

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  QyfaCp8

Aidrian, If you send more? Try to reduce size a bit!. Thks Alan

Johnwalker and arpcap like this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/1/2022, 15:59

Aidrian. Do we know your Dad's Unit and possibly his Rank/Trade?

Thxs Alan

Back to top Go down
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/1/2022, 16:26

Many thanks for posting the pictures Alan, and apologies for how big I sent them:)

With regards to my Dad’s regiment, at the front of my Dads photo album it says

Baker Troop
8/29th Field Regiment RA
BAOR 34
Commenced 18th February 1956

And his name was John Porter
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/1/2022, 16:47

Aidrian, I checked the size actually. They are only 140 bytes, which is ok! Not sure what needs to be reduced. Maybe high quality from Iphone?

arpcap likes this post

Back to top Go down
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime4/1/2022, 17:49

Cheers Alan - yes my IPhone gave me a choice of sizes for the pictures so I’ll use a smaller size next time.
Thanks.

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1005
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime5/1/2022, 13:13

arpcap wrote:
Thanks for the welcome Alan and your PM. I’ve sent you an email.

Many thanks for the great map and the information Steve. That’s wonderful to be able to see where the barracks were. Do you know if that map is available to download from the internet? I wondered if it may show where the Rhine Centre was as I believe it may have been in the Nordpark area of Düsseldorf?

Thanks again
Adrian

You will be able to download from here

https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/GermanyMaps/id/1570/rec/1

Cheers
Steve

alan8376 and arpcap like this post

Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime6/1/2022, 11:30

That’s great Steve! - many thanks

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime6/1/2022, 11:39

Aidrian,

If you want to put on any photos? Same as before to my address.

Alan

arpcap likes this post

Back to top Go down
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime8/1/2022, 17:58

Thanks for that offer Alan. Many of the other photos in my dads album are of his regiment or of sightseeing in Düsseldorf itself. Im looking through other boxes to see if I can find other photos of the barracks itself so I will be in touch if I find any. Cheers
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime8/1/2022, 18:22

Aidrian,
Seek out a couple of guys working etc. as well. Like some tanks or guns as well! Maybe out on the Trg Area getting cold and wet!

Alan

arpcap likes this post

Back to top Go down
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime9/1/2022, 16:23

Thanks Alan - I’ve just emailed you
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime9/1/2022, 16:45

More Photos supplied by Aidrian.

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  EjEPYS2

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  8bEaQ1c

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Wj3ST1e

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  CDa5oj6

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Deloooboy
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 6
Places Served : Old Dalby, Berlin, Dortmund, Osnabruck, Dusseldorf, Bielefeld, Colchester, Chetsey, FI, Canada, Malvern
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Caenarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime18/2/2022, 11:24

FYI I was posted to Düsseldorf much much later in 90s. The barracks as you are aware has been levelled and incorporated into Düsseldorf airport. However, the WOs’ and Sgts’ mess and Officers Mess remain. The former is far too new to have been there in the 50s, the Officers mess however I know little off and may have been. Someone on here will know. I was in Düsseldorf a couple of years ago and did a drive past them. The police occupy the Shts mess.

arpcap likes this post

Back to top Go down
Deloooboy
LCpl
LCpl

Places Served : Old Dalby, Berlin, Dortmund, Osnabruck, Dusseldorf, Bielefeld, Colchester, Chetsey, FI, Canada, Malvern

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime18/2/2022, 11:27

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  D60e7d45-c315-4051-861d-25bef1156d1b
Back to top Go down
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime18/2/2022, 12:15

Thanks for your message Deloooboy. I am actually taking a trip to Düsseldorf myself in June to have a look around the city and the former site of the barracks. Do you know if the Sgt Mess (which the police now occupy) was within the barracks site itself or was it in a nearby building? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Deloooboy
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime18/2/2022, 13:34

Your welcome. Both the Sgts Mess and officers mess were in the barracks. The main road in the airport does go past them
Back to top Go down
Deloooboy
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime18/2/2022, 13:37

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  E0431510

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Deloooboy
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime18/2/2022, 13:47

Adrian
The Rhine Centre was near Caernarvon Bks and was where the Medical Centre, Post Office and Families NAAFI was. I’ll check out the exact location for you
Back to top Go down
arpcap
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime18/2/2022, 17:28

That’s brilliant! Many thanks. I’m trying to find out as much as I can before my trip so any information you can give would be great!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Deloooboy
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime18/2/2022, 20:51

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  53a72710

arpcap likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf    Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf
Page 1 of 1