BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 55 Guests :: 1 Bot

steve

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Canadian holdings history

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Canadian holdings history Empty
PostSubject: Canadian holdings history   Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime31/7/2008, 21:01

I just noticed the webmaster has graciously included a succinct history of the Canadian period as well as a breakdown of the various forts we Canadians had in Hemer/Deilinghofen (Prince of Wales and MacLeod), Iserlohn (Fort Qu'Appelle and Fort Beausejour), Werl (Fort Anne and Fort Louis (sometimes pronounced "Lew-y" and sometimes pronounced "Loo-is"), and Soest/Bad Sassendorf (Forts York and Chambly). I have it in the back of my head there was a third fort at Werl, but I could be wrong...Werl was rather outside my experience (Hemer/Deilinghofen/Iserlohn and Soest being my 'home bases" while in Germany).

There were also families living in Unna, but I don't think there was a fort there...in fact, I'm quite sure the fathers all commuted into Iserlohn/Hemer/Deilinghofen or Werl/Soest. The Married Quarter area in Unna was very small in comparison to the ones in Hemer and Soest.

As a former Canadian Army dependent in the old Brigade area, I appreciate this inclusion of the Canadians on this site. There was a close connection between the Canadian Brigade and BAOR, far more than what existed, for instance, with the Belgiques or the Americans.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Canadian holdings history   Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime15/8/2008, 07:02

In was in Werl in about early to mid 70's, and there were 3 barracks there, so i assume there were three forts. two were side by side, one was the accomodation for the queens regiment, and i am almost sure the one next to it was for RMP's. directly accross the road was the workshops, motor pool etc. there was a 9 hole golf course left by the Candians and a huge building that once housed an ice rink. there is nothing of it left now, except its an 18 hole golf course
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Canadian holdings history   Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime27/8/2008, 00:03

Ahhh, yes, I remember now. Fort Victoria and Fort Louis were next to each other with "something" across the road.

I sort of knew there had been an ice rink (Canadians needed their curling and hockey, after all LOL) but didn't realize there had been a golf course out there too.

While it's sad so many of these sites are now derelict or gone, I suppose it's heartening that a 9-hole golf course is now an 18-hole golf course. Not that golf held any interest for me whatsoever and I'm not at all certain your average German would have the interest so many Canadians/Americans/Scots have for this essentially silly game Smile
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Canadian holdings history   Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime2/3/2009, 03:12

Yes there were three forts Fort St. Louis and Fort Victoria on one side of the road.

Fort Victoria had the Black Watch or Van Doo's depending on who was doing the tour.

Fort St Louis had the RCE and the Cdn Radio Station

Fort St Ann across the road had the CANEX gift shop, the Battle School, and an anti-tank company of Van Doo's who's home battalion was still stationed in Canada.

Originaly Fort St Ann had the Canadian Armoured Regt and the RCAMC . If I remember correctly you could still see their badges on the main gate pilons.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Canadian holdings history   Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime2/3/2009, 03:17

It should be remembered that when the Canadian Infantry Brigade was first posted to Germany for it's NATO employment they were in Hanover (remembered fondly by many as Hang-over for some reason). It would be interesting to see any shared memories from that time. I know my old BSM from 1 SSM Bty was there as were few other people I served with in the RC Sigs. Wish I had asked more questions about that time. But I do remember old Bill Wier telling me that for a few chocolate bars and packs of ciggies you could have a good time. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Canadian holdings history   Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime4/3/2009, 18:54

Hardrations wrote:
It should be remembered that when the Canadian Infantry Brigade was first posted to Germany for it's NATO employment they were in Hanover (remembered fondly by many as Hang-over for some reason). It would be interesting to see any shared memories from that time. I know my old BSM from 1 SSM Bty was there as were few other people I served with in the RC Sigs. Wish I had asked more questions about that time. But I do remember old Bill Wier telling me that for a few chocolate bars and packs of ciggies you could have a good time. Shocked

Can't for the life of me figure out why on earth the Hannover period would possibly be referred to as "Hang-over" Laughing

There is very little out there about this period (circa pre-1953). The Hannover period was before DND started allowing families to tag along on the tour.

Now, you've piqued my interest re "for a few chocolate bars and a packs of ciggies [one] could have a good time." As in sexual favours? My oh my.... Shocked Talk about a cheap...well, you know.... Razz

This aspect of life in West Germany was outside my experience...I was, afterall, only a rather naive 17-year old although I didn't happen to think so at the time.

I was aware, as many of us dependents were (to say nothing of the soldiers!!) of 'poufs' and 'bar-flys'. There was a hooker stand down on the corner by the Belgian Kaserne on the B-1 in Soest and I'd often see the woman whose corner it was out there in her red blazer, black skirt and stockings. I'd see her so often we started exchanging "Guten abends". She was probably in her late 30's early 40's then...rather matronly looking as I recall. To each their own Rolling Eyes

The one disco/gasthof I went to all the time in Soest -- The Palette -- was, I now realize, a pouf-bar (prostitute...not what you lads call "poufs" although there was a bit of that going on too).

the whole social aspect of cigarettes was what got me smoking. Sitting in a gasthof with a pack of Export A's next to one's beer almost invariably led to conversations and the buying of drinks back and forth because the brand was so identifiable as "Canadian"....the Germans would want to try one, offer one of theirs (all made with gawd-awful Turkish tobacco which smelled and tasted like camel dung!) and everyone would have a wonderful social evening. If I had known I could have got laid a couple of years sooner than I actually did via a pack of cigarettes....hmmmm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canadian holdings history   Canadian holdings history Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canadian holdings history
Page 1 of 1