BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests :: 1 Bot

brian beckett

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
April 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

BFN (BFBS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   23/6/2009, 21:27

BFBS, Andrew Pastouna (sp?) was one of the presenters and came from my neck of the woods. His family had a very large chippy in the fairground at New Brighton in the 50's and 60's.

I remember in the mid seventies they had a programme called radio roulette and you could phone in and play. Tried to get through once to get a request for my brother who got married at Wildenrath. I didn't, which was lucky as I was a bit drunk at the time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nobby
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 79
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Tidworth, Sennelarger, Werl, Munsterlager, Catterick, Paderborn, Ripon, Detmold, Marchwood.
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   25/6/2009, 18:43

My claim to fame is that during my 3rd tour of Bosnai in 1996 i used to be on "Calling the Balkans" from Split in Croatia and Sipovo in Bosnia on a Friday night.

This was an ideal way of being able to contact families back in Germany.

The main hosts of the show were James Watt and Glen Mansell. Glen still works for BFBS.

On my return from Bosnia i was asked by James Watt to visit the studio in Herford and co-hosted his morning show.

Even got recognised in the NAAFI in Sennelager during my R&R leave by my voice. The cashier looked at me and said "Your Nobby off the radio arnt you?" I then got introduced to the majority of the NAAFI staff.

I
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: BFN/BFBS   27/12/2009, 15:18

In connection with another thread, and some personal messages, does anyone have any knowledge of two of the first controllers/moderators of BFN?

Their names are:-

Major John McMillan
Major Fred Bassett

I have both the names on good authority, and would like to know if there is knowledge of units and/or locations they may have been in. With them being in control of a radio station, my own thoughts are that they could have been Royal Signals personnel.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nails
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-11-23

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   25/11/2012, 23:57

I remember in 1954-57, Bill Crozier doing the 18 hundred club. Great request show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1005
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   26/11/2012, 09:43

You are right for many the 1800 Club marked the start of the evening's midweek entertainment
though the DJs varied

In the 60s switch on was 15 minutes earlier to catch the end of Kinder Klub and Bill Mitchell's Tales from the Big Wood (OK whose going to admit to being a fan) The audience it was rumoured included both CinC BAOR and CinC RAF(G)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   26/11/2012, 19:14

bfn in the 50s . chris howland was very popular, as a singer and d j, ginger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
malaboman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Places Served : Deepcut, Arborfield, Gosport,Osnabruck, Minden, Aden, Berlin.
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   28/11/2012, 13:06

As well as BFN in Aden we had AFBA (Aden Forces Broadcasting Association). This was run from RAF Khormaksar and all staf were volunteers (including me on sports) except the "manager" who was the RAF Rep.
We had a far better record library than BFN and reported far more local stuff than they did.
A number of our staff/djs went on to fame on the UK illegal radios, some are still active in broadcasting.
For a number of years after the late 60s there was an AFBA membership club with annual meetings in the Chevrons Club at Devon Square in Central London. That seemed to fizzle away to nothing but if any readers of this can remember AFBA and/or know of any former members, please post your info. here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rucjock21
Maj
Maj

Number of posts : 279
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   28/11/2012, 14:25

Ref the Aden Forces Broadcasting Association.I was up country in 1966 Christmas to be precise and I can remember that BFBS had a request programme and if you pledged a donation they would play any record you wanted.The most requested record I can remember from listening to the radio was believe it or not was, "THE GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME" by Tom Jones.If I heard it once I heard it hundreds of times right into the small hours of the morning.I never did get to hear how much money they collected from those who pledged.Oh and by the way they never played my request which was Andy Stewart singing "A Scottish Soldier".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   28/11/2012, 18:28

Malaboman
Delighted to know that AFBA survived the arrival of BFBS, There was a lot of support for the enthusiasts of Khormaksar when I was on the "barren rock" in 62/63 when the professionals arrived but concern they could not survive longterm. Pete Sherwood, a REME Sergeant at the time, was a leading light in my time , believe he went into local radio in the Dorset area after he left the Army.

Jock

I think it was a longstanding BFN/BFBS tradition worldwide that a Charity Request programme along the lines you describe was organised on Christmas Day with the proceed going to "Wireless for the Blind".

Last edited by JPW on 29/11/2012, 13:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rucjock21
Maj
Maj

Number of posts : 279
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   29/11/2012, 13:31

JPW,You are correct "Wireless for the Blind" was the charity in question now that you have mentioned it.Was this the forerunner of the BBC's "Children in Need" I wonder?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pborn3
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 134
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Oswestry, Paderborn, Barnard Castle, Catterick, NI, Bristol, Cyprus, Munsterlager, NI,Sennelager , NI , Rge Control/STC Sennelager/ GSU Sennelager as Civvy
Registration date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: BFBS . Hamburg, Cologne, Herford, Sennelager   29/7/2016, 20:37

29 Jul  -  BFBS now based in Sennelager (beside NAAFI Max on Sande strasse) mentioned today that the service has been broadcasting for 71 years - to the day. !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   30/7/2016, 16:16

Happy Birthday BFBS

Have fond memories of the BFN Hamburg era and of course Two Way Family Favourites on a Sunday Lunchtime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BFN (BFBS)   

Back to top Go down

BFN (BFBS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2