BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 45 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 45 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RAPA Bad Lippspringer

Go down 
+6
alan8376
KevinT
Nobby
Paul
Wilf
steve jones
10 posters
AuthorMessage
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

RAPA Bad Lippspringer Empty
PostSubject: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime25/11/2008, 08:20

I did my first ever free fall at Bad Lippspringer, great place. anyone else skydive there ?
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime28/11/2008, 11:16

Personally I've never had the urge to throw myself out of an aircraft that I know is going to land anyway... Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime28/11/2008, 16:41

If man was meant to fly, the QM would have issued us with wings.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime29/11/2008, 20:54

Paul wrote:
If man was meant to fly, the QM would have issued us with wings.

Paul.

Quite right.
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime29/11/2008, 20:57

steve jones wrote:
I did my first ever free fall at Bad Lippspringer, great place. anyone else skydive there ?

Actually my wife did a tandem jump at Bad Lippspringe in ... 1987 or possibly 88. But she was obviously barking, she married me!
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Number of posts : 79
Places Served : Tidworth, Sennelarger, Werl, Munsterlager, Catterick, Paderborn, Ripon, Detmold, Marchwood.
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime5/2/2009, 14:44

I skydived for many a year at Bad Lipp. Best dropzone i have ever been to. The pic on my profile is of me exiting the Islander at 5,000ft over Bad Lipp in 1983.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime11/2/2009, 06:17

Nice one Nobby. I see you were using quite modern gear. I agree great DZ, i also did a few jumps at Netheravon, Brize Norton ha'pny green. I then went to live in NZ and did hundreds there. Andrew, re tandems, I first jumped a tamdem, as the pilot, in Mexico while they were under development by a guy called bill booth. All very interesting stuff, and they were clearly going to be the way of the future for people who just wanted one for the "log book of life"
Back to top Go down
KevinT
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Places Served : Arborfield, Minden, Munster, Hohne, BATUS, NIEW
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime23/2/2009, 14:00

I did 2 courses (mid 1980's) at Bad Lippspringe- bad weather made the first course a waste of time.

We had to get a chit signed from the local medical centre and the old bloke who was filling as Doctor (he must have been forty or fifty if he was a day!) at Munster originally refused on the grounds of Mental Instability! Claimed that any person who voluntarily wanted to exit an aircraft after it left the ground must have been unstable.

Our EME (at 4RTR Munster) went spare and got that sorted. Later whilst at 14/20 in Hohne I got on another course and managed a couple of 10 second freefalls and one tree landing. Chief instructor both times was 'Mac' McQueen.

The Dutch camp in Hohne also had their own small club and hired in a small 4 seater most weekends.

Happy times.
Kev T
Back to top Go down
http://www.camelotcastleflorida.com
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime3/8/2009, 21:44

Mac McQueen was at Bad Lippspringe around 1969ish. Anyone know what happened to Bob Ackermann who ran the club then?

Pete Hough attended with me. Pete later became well known and was part of the REME Free fall Team. Wally Wallace arrived later!

Regards
Alan
Ps... FAO Steve Jones. Yes it's me Alan Yates. Ex 15 Field Wksp
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime4/8/2009, 15:02

Used to run round the dropzone and golf course when I was posted there, watched enough blokes come in to fast and cream into the ground for my liking lol, prefer my feet on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime4/8/2009, 17:24

We used to exercise with the Harriers from there. Pulled up on one exercise, cammed up etc and then our lineys were asked if they had a ladder. A parachute had landed in a tree. Best thing was, it was a bloke from our own regiment on the end of it.

Also saw two main chutes fail on the same day but both times they used a reserve successfully. Not my idea of a good time or I would have joined the paras.
Back to top Go down
AlienFTM
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 61
Cap Badge : 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars
Places Served : NI, Tidworth, UNFICYP, BAOR, Worthy Down
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime18/2/2010, 16:58

I did a couple of jumps there at the end of 1977 right after arriving, having missed a day of my embarkation leave to finish a course at Netheravon.

I quickly discovered Pils and Frauleins and gave up parachuting but a guy from our squadron who had been on the same course at Netheravon went on to help found 15/19H Freefall team.

Anyone remember Cockney Curran between 1977 and 1984? He got a Queen's Commendation for bringing down two buddies when their canopies failed, three on one parachute. Few broken bones but two saved lives. Somewhere I have a link to the gazette of the QC but right now I cannot find it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arrse.co.uk
AlienFTM
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime18/2/2010, 16:58

AlienFTM wrote:
I did a couple of jumps there at the end of 1977 right after arriving, having missed a day of my embarkation leave to finish a course at Netheravon.

I quickly discovered Pils and Frauleins and gave up parachuting but a guy from our squadron who had been on the same course at Netheravon went on to help found 15/19H Freefall team.

Anyone remember Cockney Curran between 1977 and 1984? He got a Queen's Commendation for bringing down two buddies when their canopies failed, three on one parachute. Few broken bones but two saved lives. Somewhere I have a link to the gazette of the QC but right now I cannot find it.

Edited to add: he died a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 652
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime18/12/2016, 20:42

The Parachute Centre Bad Lippspringe started life at the Detmold Airfield!  Parachutists were loaded there, and flown down to the Sennelager Training Area to do their stuff; the aircraft landed either on the Windmill Strip (asphalt) or the old Luftwaffe grass strip adjoining the Lippspringe Sportsfield.  Picked up survivors of the first jump of the day and carried on dropping and landing until the monotony drove them all back to Detmold.  Eventually Logistics, common-sense and the Rhine Army Parachute Association ( and Adventure Trg money) changed all that and the Joint Service Parachute Centre (Lippspringe) became established on the former Luftwaffe night fighter base.

Many years after the inception of the Para Centre  the former Luftwaffe fuel storage tanks were found, underground, intact with viable fuel still stored.

Elsewhere a former member says access was via the Bielefelderstrasse without going through any Barracks  -  this is n't quite true!  The Alte Bielefelder Post Strasse from Bad Lippsringe to Hoevelhof runs along the Eastern edge of the Field, and the flying ground, sportsfields and Golf Course are all inside the Sennelager Training Area.  In the early 70s the ONLY access was from Bad Lippspringe (as it was for shooters going to the new ALMA Ranges).  Eventually an access road was built from the rear of Normandy Barracks to Schlangen to get to the ALMA Classification Ranges, Sports Fields and Golf Course, L Range and other new shooting facilities.

Last edited by Pborn4 on 18/12/2016, 20:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime24/1/2020, 21:22

Drone film of the RAPA JSPC(L) from 2019 - all closed down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmWDERB9ooQ

credits etc as shown on youtube
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime25/4/2023, 02:33

JSPC(L)/RAPA competition 1968 https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/155841/
Back to top Go down
AlienFTM
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime25/4/2023, 19:48

For a long time I reviewed books for a military website (also edited a few books on request). About 1971 (that's when it was published) I bought a copy of Hitler's Last Offensive (Peter Elstob) and treasured it.

A few years ago, possibly 75th anniversary of the battle, it was rereleased, so I grabbed the review copy.

Having in between served 14 years, I understood the book much better. What leaped out at me was a plan for Student to drop a Fallschirmjäger carpet in front of the Kampfgrüppen. Silly really, given that the plan required cloud to suppress Allied air superiority. Of course it was too cloudy to jump, so they never took off.

From their intended departure point, Bad Lippspringe.

Instead they travelled forward in the 1944 version of helibedfords, and were fed piecemeal into the grinder.

Plus ça change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAPA Bad Lippspringer
Page 1 of 1