BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
One for the REME Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
One for the REME Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
One for the REME Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
One for the REME Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
One for the REME Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
One for the REME Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
One for the REME Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
One for the REME Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
One for the REME Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
One for the REME Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
One for the REME Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
One for the REME Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
One for the REME Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
One for the REME Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
One for the REME Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 64 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 64 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

One for the REME

Go down 
+16
Stephen Lock
Nobby
alan8376
dandc
donald
oldtimer
colin
malaboman
ciphers
wrinkles
Big_Mike
BobG
recymech
Paul
Locator
jerry
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime2/12/2008, 22:47

One for the REME Recoveryll5.th

This may be of interest to our REME pals
Back to top Go down
Locator
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 45
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Munsterlager, Dortmund, Bergen-Hohne, Larkhill, Celle, as well as NI (x4), Canada, Paris and Catterick
Registration date : 2008-08-15

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime24/2/2009, 12:15

Never seen one of those before! Interesting to see that it's actually a vehicle of German manufacture - MAG (Magirus Deutz).
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime24/2/2009, 16:47

Locator wrote:
Never seen one of those before! Interesting to see that it's actually a vehicle of German manufacture - MAG (Magirus Deutz).

Definitely a LHD "Maggie", but I never remember seeing anything like this. Before my time I would say , and I never remember seeing an ARN with XG in it. Could it have been a locally sourced recovery truck, or was it an ex-German converted to British use.

Calling our Reccy Mech members Question

Paul.
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime24/2/2009, 19:38

I picked the pic up from the internet
Can't help with the use.
We had Maggie's in 11 Coy in Dortmund. 1959
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime24/2/2009, 20:55

I've posted the pic on the Recy Mech website, the old and bold should be able to identify its history, I'll post on this site once they get back to me.
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime24/2/2009, 20:58

I think it was probably one of the Berlin Bde vehs, the reg number looks correct. They used a lot of German vehs bought on the Berlin budget.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime25/2/2009, 10:19

Paul wrote:
....I never remember seeing an ARN with XG in it...

I have seen an "XG" registration, in a photograph from Maurice Taylor here:-

http://baor-locations.com/wrexhambks.aspx

I wonder then if locally sourced vehicles were given XG plates?

Paul.
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime25/2/2009, 17:08

BobG wrote:
I think it was probably one of the Berlin Bde vehs, the reg number looks correct. They used a lot of German vehs bought on the Berlin budget.

BobG is correct, it is indeed a Berlin Bde Wrecker Magirus Deutz (not sure of the spelling) sourced from the Germans pre 1977.

More info as I get it, been chatting to an Ex RecyMech who used to drive/operate them in Berlin

Last edited by recymech on 25/2/2009, 17:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime25/2/2009, 17:21

Same Vehicle but a little less well preserved.

[img]One for the REME KW15Mainz04-650[/img][/url][img]One for the REME KW15-650
Back to top Go down
Locator
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 45
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Munsterlager, Dortmund, Bergen-Hohne, Larkhill, Celle, as well as NI (x4), Canada, Paris and Catterick
Registration date : 2008-08-15

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime26/2/2009, 06:53

The vehicle in the first of recymec's pics looks as though it once belonged to the Mainz Fire Brigade.
Back to top Go down
Big_Mike
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Big_Mike

Number of posts : 43
Cap Badge : Royal Fusiliers, rejoined RE
Places Served : BAOR, UK, HK, Cyprus, NI
Registration date : 2008-06-27

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime26/2/2009, 13:38

Yes I think it was the Berlin Bde kit. When I was in Berlin in 64
we had to drive these dreadful little munga, Two-stroke German army DKW. Have found a picture:-

http://wikicars.org/en/DKW

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.set-bit.de/start
wrinkles
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
wrinkles

Number of posts : 62
Cap Badge : Mercian Brigade, 1st Bn Worc Rgt
Places Served : Uk, Honduras,Tripoli, BAOR, UK, Tobruk, Gibraltar, short stints in Canada, USA, Barbados & Dominica
Registration date : 2007-05-15

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime26/2/2009, 15:36

Oh! That takes me back I had forgotten about those DKW's. Amazing to think that the present day AUDI evolved from the Auto Union stable
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime16/3/2009, 19:43

Come on REME fix this one

Len (Ciphers)
Signals Dispatch Jeep
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime16/3/2009, 21:12

Hi Len (Ciphers)
Great photo…wish I had a camera on the 26 Nov 67…B Tp 3 Sqn 1 Div Verden-Aller had 3 x Hillman Husky for SDS duties and I received a regimental entry...10 pounds stoppage of pay for writing one off...value 115 pounds 2 shillings and 6 pence…trust me it was not my fault…but no witnesses…long story but a REME chap arrived to recover the wreck on the road between Neinburg and Verden…'you can drive that' he said...took it up the road and the front nearside wheel fell off! Laughing
All the best Steve
PS Excellent ‘then and now’ of Wentworth Barracks cheers
Back to top Go down
malaboman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Places Served : Deepcut, Arborfield, Gosport,Osnabruck, Minden, Aden, Berlin.
Registration date : 2009-07-12

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime13/7/2009, 16:39

Yes, definitely from 14 Inf Wksp in Berlin. My patch 1965 - 68.
Made a lovely noise in full flight.
Back to top Go down

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime17/7/2009, 10:54

Does anyone remember the Stalwart from the 70s? Used to catch fire easily
Back to top Go down
colin
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 26
Cap Badge : REME/RAMC
Places Served : Colchester, Iserlohn, Obernkirchen, Libya
Registration date : 2007-11-12

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime17/7/2009, 20:22

Had one on trial at 29 Field Ambulance for a while, used to make a peculiar noise. Although they were Amphib I think they were eventually converted to land use only.
Back to top Go down

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime18/7/2009, 09:47

Colin. Were they a DUKW replacement? Do you know what the engine was?
Back to top Go down
malaboman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Places Served : Deepcut, Arborfield, Gosport,Osnabruck, Minden, Aden, Berlin.
Registration date : 2009-07-12

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime18/7/2009, 11:47

The Stalwart was one of a family of 6 x 6 vehicles developed to support fast-moving armour in western europe. The others were the Saladin Armoured car and the Saracen whichwas multi-purpose for eg Radio command veh,APC, ambulance, etc. The Stalwart was the open-backed load carrier, well suited for Fuel or ammunition re-supply to the front line troops.
Cross-country performance was excellent, I don't know about a prevalence to catch fire but our VMs used to say they were rotters to repair.
Eventually they were replaced by variants of the 432 I believe.
Many are in service still in 3rd world countries (or not so 3 rd in the case of Qatar where I am) but how they manage for parts I just do not know as Alvis who made them are no more.
I have also seen them at work on major petro-chemical construction sites and power station construction sites I have worked at in Africa and the Far East, sometimes in the rainy season they (and my ancient 1973 LWB diesel ex Dutch Army Land Rover) were the only things that moved on site.

If you actually want to see some in the UK you can go to the Military 2nd hand dealerships, one off the A1 near Grantham on the south bound side and another at "The Rocket Site" between Scunthorpe and Doncaster, I've forgotten its exact location. I also believe the Tank Museum at Bovington may have a Saladin.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime6/11/2009, 16:59

The Stalwart (Stolly) first made its presence known some years before the Army took them on charge, about 6 or 7 years earlier I believe. Listed as FV620 series, and as an HMLC (High Mobility Load Carrier) supposedly capable of a 5 ton load there were a number of variants. Could do with a couple of photographs if anyone has any.

The two I had dealings with were the 622 - a General Service Load Carrier, and the 623 fitted with the Atlas Crane. There was also a REME variant, the 624, although I never remember coming across one.

Powered by an 8 cylinder B Series engine and 6x6, I personally liked driving them, and had the opportunity of a short flotation exercise while I was attached to the Artillery. They were prone to clutch problems though if not ised for extended periods.

A Stalwart was responsible for the demolition of my VMB toolbox. On exercise, one developed a transmission fault on a fair slope. As many of us know, the hubs were epicyclic, and if they were to be towed for any distance, the sun wheel was removed from all hubs. A certain NCO (whose name I no longer remember) put me, and another, on the job of removing said sun wheels.

The last sunwheel was proving hard to remove, and said NCO said something along the lines of "give it some welly". Welly was applied, sunwheel came out with a bang, and Stolly moves off of its own accord down the slope - backwards - flattening my toolbox on the way.

No one had realised that with no sunwheels the brakes foot or hand became useless. I was only out of trade training a few months and the change in VMB's also becoming Wheeled A trained was in its infancy.

Needless to say, it caused some banter to pass around for a couple of weeks. The farmer was quite happy, his rotting fence had to be replaced with a nice new one.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime6/11/2009, 20:44

a couple of people mention the stalwart as being in the 70s, but i have photos of it in the late sixties in bunde and we were not the first to get them in baor 12 regt RCT had them before us on trial.

never remember them going on fire but there were always being towed back to camp the REME lads were fed up with them.

paul 2 photos here if you want me to pm them you let me know.

One for the REME Th_oldpics020
One for the REME Th_oldpics019-1

Last edited by oldtimer on 6/11/2009, 20:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photos)
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime6/11/2009, 20:53

oldtimer wrote:
a couple of people mention the stalwart as being in the 70s, but i have photos of it in the late sixties in bunde and we were not the first to get them in baor 12 regt RCT had them before us on trial.

never remember them going on fire but there were always being towed back to camp the REME lads were fed up with them.

As far as I can find out, the Stalwart first turned a wheel in about 1959, being taken on by the Army in about 1967.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime7/11/2009, 13:14

How about some of these
http://www.terrawind.com/
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime7/11/2009, 15:04

I had very close relationships with these vehicles,and in the main as load carriers they were reliable.The only trouble was that as fuel replenishment vehicles using 4 1/2 gal jerry cans the noise they made during replenishment at night could be heard for miles around.We did have quite a drama with one,as during a NATO turnout we had one,fully loaded with operational ammo,catch fire on the autobahn!
-----
Don
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime7/11/2009, 16:28

good vehicles the only bug bear was waiting for the bellys to drain after swiming,a bit warmer than the rl in winter,dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One for the REME Empty
PostSubject: Re: One for the REME   One for the REME Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One for the REME
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next