BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 46 Guests :: 2 Bots

brian beckett

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Northumberland barracks

Go down 
+3
Hardrations
locating
steve1226
7 posters
AuthorMessage
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Northumberland barracks Empty
PostSubject: Northumberland barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime3/3/2009, 13:48

Hi all, I served in Menden from 1972-1973 with 12 OFP RAOC, well I think it was 12, in what proved to be my final posting. I was REME attatched and if my memory serves me there were only three of us! The sergeants name escapes me but I do remember my collegue was a guy named macallister. I had a great time there and bought my first new car, a mini, for £750!!! The main regiment in the camp was 50 missile regt RA who had been there since the year dot. I remember a pub near the married quarters run by an Englisg chap who used to have the german first division teams represented by some sort of plaques, behind the bar. They were always in their correct legue position. The other thing I remember was our top CO a Major Edwards I think who was quite posh and had ideas above his station. The SM was a Black chap called Bongo Bollers, yes really, and had a wicked sense of humour. All for now, Steve.
Back to top Go down
locating
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 22
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Aldershot, Menden (mostly), Larkhill
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Menden garrison March(?)1958 to Sept 1959   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime28/4/2009, 07:12

steve1226 wrote:
Hi all, I served in Menden from 1972-1973 with 12 OFP RAOC, well I think it was 12, in what proved to be my final posting. I was REME attatched and if my memory serves me there were only three of us! The sergeants name escapes me but I do remember my collegue was a guy named macallister. I had a great time there and bought my first new car, a mini, for £750!!! The main regiment in the camp was 50 missile regt RA who had been there since the year dot. I remember a pub near the married quarters run by an Englisg chap who used to have the german first division teams represented by some sort of plaques, behind the bar. They were always in their correct legue position. The other thing I remember was our top CO a Major Edwards I think who was quite posh and had ideas above his station. The SM was a Black chap called Bongo Bollers, yes really, and had a wicked sense of humour. All for now, Steve.
As my 'name' suggests I was in 115 Locating Battery RA. I was there intermittently from early 1958 to September 1959: away on courses at Larkhill from Sept (?) to December 1958, returning in January after home leave.
At that time the garrison as I thought of it was essentially Gunners. I don't think I ever knew that we were in Northumberland Barracks. Other than Menden I thought of it as the old Flakkaserne, the WWII Flak Barracks.
115 BTY shared with a Medium Regiment RA, whose Commander was OC the garrison.
What else was there?
Some married quarters.
Some REME: each Artillery Unit had its own REME detachment.
An RAMC doctor (I suppose he was attached to the Medium Regiment in case of war) but an important part of his duties would have been the garrison families.
An Army Kinema Corps cinema.
There must have been a NAAFI or similar but I don't remember it after half a century.
Also at the back gate of the camp was a detachment of what was called, I think, MSO (?). They were drivers of what must have been a supply echelon, consisting of European men (who I vaguely suppose may have been in some cases displaced persons wh could not go back home after the war. It is strange: I do not remember their back gate being guarded at night. I do remember climbing back in over that barbed gate and fence at night. Only once...
The two artillery units shared an Officers Mess and a Sergeants And Warrant Officers Mess and a general canteen (was that the name?) for men and NCOs.
The Artillery Units shared the one Guard Room, its Cells and, I suppose, the Regimental Police.
The artillery units shared the providing of Orderly Officers daily: inspecting the Guard, the Cookhouse and the Armoury. I cannot remember whether each unit had its own Armoury. The Orderly Officer slept by the Safe in case orders were received to open Secret Orders during the night. Also on duty overnight was a major in charge of the whole garrison.
The garrison had its own telephone exchange 'manned' during the day by a German lady with an appealing voice, Frau F*****.
The garrison also had its own tailor's 'shop' staffed by one or two Germans.
They made a neat RA pennant for the 115 BTY team who took part in the Nijmegen Marches in 1959 trained by a National Service 2nd Lieutenant.
The Medium Regiment sent their own team to Nijmegen that year, led by a major.
Perhaps someone else can add to this account? I hope so!
Locating
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Northumberland barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime28/4/2009, 15:07

The remains of Northumberland Barracks is close to where I live in Iserlohn-Sümmern and would lke to add there was a Royal Signals detachment in the 60s from 4 Div HQ & Sig Regt not sure have long this went on know two lads who served there Alan 'Ringo' Starkie and Pete Whitfield

My claim to fame was in the 80s I sold Rover cars in Iserlohn and supplied 3 Metros for the 50 Missile Regt driving school and then Sgt Pete Meadows ran it and Pete is one of the many RA lads who have settled in this area cheers
Back to top Go down
locating
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Remains of Northumberland Barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime28/4/2009, 18:05

Steve wrote:
The remains of Northumberland Barracks is close to where I live in Iserlohn-Sümmern and would lke to add there was a Royal Signals detachment in the 60s from 4 Div HQ & Sig Regt not sure have long this went on know two lads who served there Alan 'Ringo' Starkie and Pete Whitfield

My claim to fame was in the 80s I sold Rover cars in Iserlohn and supplied 3 Metros for the 50 Missile Regt driving school and then Sgt Pete Meadows ran it and Pete is one of the many RA lads who have settled in this area cheers
[quote]
Dear Steve, Thank you. How much of the old barracks is left? What did they use the rest of the site for? Something good for Menden I hope: I have a very soft spot for the town and the area around it. I and my mate Les had very happy times there. We enjoyed Schutzenfeste and a Britain-Menden Friends society which used to meet quite often in a pub in town: a very civilised locale for young people to meet. So many of us were young National Servicemen in those days. In those days we learned to drive in our Battery's vehicles. I've been called away but will be watching this topic again.
Thanks
Locating
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Northumberland barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime29/4/2009, 05:42

I was attached to 1 SSM Bty RCA (Canada's version of 50th Missile) in Deilinghofen. I remember visiting friends in the 50th Missile who live in Married Quarters that were in the old barrack blocks in Menden. To use the wash room you had to get the key to their assigned toilet/washroom down the hall and around the corner. A very rush affair if you had a few brews under your belt. Still good times were to be had. I was up to Menden in 2003 but didn't get around to checking out where the barracks were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Northumberland barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime2/5/2009, 16:59

Hi Locating and Hardrations
Northumberland Barracks looks more or less complete the blocks are converted into flats and look better than the former married quarters outside please send your email address via a private message and will send you some today images you will be pleased to know the ‘Britain-Menden Friends society’ more or less lives on as the ‘English Speaking Club’ we meet once a fortnight in a pub in Oberrödingshausen on the road to Balve run by Martin Smith former REME 50 Missile Regiment RA details of the regiment here http://www.50missileclubra.com/ cheers
Back to top Go down
locating
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Menden images   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime2/5/2009, 18:38

Delighted to hear from
Steve wrote:
Hi Locating and Hardrations
Northumberland Barracks looks more or less complete the blocks are converted into flats and look better than the former married quarters outside please send your email address via a private message and will send you some today images you will be pleased to know the ‘Britain-Menden Friends society’ more or less lives on as the ‘English Speaking Club’ we meet once a fortnight in a pub in Oberrödingshausen on the road to Balve run by Martin Smith former REME 50 Missile Regiment RA details of the regiment here http://www.50missileclubra.com/ cheers
[quote]Thank you. Delighted to know that the talking goes on: I can't remember what we called the English club in 1958, if it had a name. Must go. Will be back.
Locating
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Northumberland barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 08:59

I can't remember what we called the English club in 1958, if it had a name. Must go. Will be back.
Locating[/quote]
Hi Locating, update on the barracks and the pub just outside the gate in 1945 the barracks was shared with 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment or part of and 3rd (West Riding) Reece Regiment (8th Northumberland Fusiliers)...hence the name of the barracks...on arrival from Bensberg they named the pub 'George & Dragon' after requisitioned by the military...scource 'The Polar Bear News Dec 45'...more information to follow next week. Regards Steve study
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
locating
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Northumberland barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime17/4/2010, 14:21

locating wrote:
steve1226 wrote:
Quote :
BAs my 'name' suggests I was in 115 Locating Battery RA. I was there intermittently from early 1958 to September 1959: away on courses at Larkhill from Sept (?) to December 1958, returning in January after home leave.
At that time the garrison as I thought of it was essentially Gunners. I don't think I ever knew that we were in Northumberland Barracks. Other than Menden I thought of it as the old Flakkaserne, the WWII Flak arracks.
115 BTY shared with a Medium Regiment RA, whose Commander was OC the garrison.
What
else was there?
Some married quarters.
Some REME: each Artillery Unit had its own REME detachment.
An RAMC doctor (I suppose he was attached to the Medium Regiment in case of war) but an important part of his duties would have been the garrison families.
An Army Kinema Corps cinema.
There must have been a NAAFI or similar but I don't remember it after half a century.
Also at the back gate of the camp was a detachment of what was called, I think, MSO (?). They were drivers of what must have been a supply echelon, consisting of European men (who I vaguely suppose may have been in some cases displaced persons wh could not go back home after the war. It is strange: I do not remember their back gate being guarded at night. I do remember climbing back in over that barbed gate and fence at night. Only once...
The two artillery units shared an Officers Mess and a Sergeants And Warrant Officers Mess and a general canteen (was that the name?) for men and NCOs.
The Artillery Units shared the one Guard Room, its Cells and, I suppose, the Regimental Police.
The artillery units shared the providing of Orderly Officers daily: inspecting the Guard, the Cookhouse and the Armoury. I cannot remember whether each unit had its own Armoury. The Orderly Officer slept by the Safe in case orders were received to open Secret Orders during the night. Also on duty overnight was a major in charge of the whole garrison.
The garrison had its own telephone exchange 'manned' during the day by a German lady with an appealing voice, Frau F*****.
The garrison also had its own tailor's 'shop' staffed by one or two Germans.
They made a neat RA pennant for the 115 BTY team who took part in the Nijmegen Marches in 1959 trained by a National Service 2nd Lieutenant.
The Medium Regiment sent their own team to Nijmegen that year, led by a major.
Perhaps someone else can add to this account? I hope so!
Locating

Last edited by locating on 17/4/2010, 14:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ayear on and I was wondering if anyone had any new tales to tell of time in Menden. I guess we've grown too old/forgetful or few1! Anyway best wishes to the rest of you old ancients!!)
Back to top Go down
fantasy31
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: northumberland barrocks 1973-1978   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime16/2/2012, 22:50

hi my dad was serving in menden royal artinnery and northern island also .his name was charles robert clarke .He met my mum ther her name was angelica shulz german lady did anyone know him and can fill me in with anything that happened around that time please
Back to top Go down
dyanes1
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: 22 LAA Northumberland Barracks 1956/7   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime26/7/2012, 13:27

Does anyone recall Gasthof Manisterni in the town? Also BSM Hodkisson [Hoddy]?
I was attached to the Regiment which I think left for the UK in 1958.
Back to top Go down
glyn_t
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : RAOC.
Places Served : Bicester 63-66 Menden 5 OFP 66-69
Registration date : 2013-11-12

PostSubject: "I was there in 1966 for a short time and it was 5 0FP then"   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime14/11/2013, 17:30

steve1226 wrote:
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Northumberland barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime6/10/2015, 21:50

Maybe it was 5 OFP. My memory is not what it was. I loved Menden though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Northumberland barracks   Northumberland barracks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Northumberland barracks
Page 1 of 1