BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 60 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 59 Guests :: 2 Bots

Dulaigh

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Empty
PostSubject: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 12:59

I am looking for a bit of local help from Osnabruck!!!

Basically, I need some help to locate the area of the town where many of the car show rooms and sales were based who sold cars to BAOR squaddies in the early 70's.

This area I am looking for was the other side of town from Roberts Barracks. In this area my wife worked in a restaurant which was on the 2nd floor above a German car sales place . ( Autohaus???).

Reason for my looking is ,we are trying to remember the restaurant name, as my wife (we are in UK) needs to submit that data for to claim towards her old age pension.

Thanks Alan
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 18:41

Alan,

A guy here at my place (Cyprus) is married to a German lady from Osnabruck, I'll ask him to ask her, either she will know or will ask one of her family members if they remember the place.

Do you have anymore info ie, road name, area of the town etc?
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 18:53

Thanks,

My wife thinks there were the Zoo signs along the route. However, looking at Google Earth, there appears to be no industrial estates along this bus route.

Remember, it was the 70's. Things will have been built up since then!

Thanks
Alan Ex REME
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 19:02

The main road nearest the Zoo is called Iburger Strasse B68 that will have signs for the Zoo, does that ring any bells?

Have a look on google maps and type in Osnabruck Zoo, you can scroll around and check out the area, maybe it'll jog your memory.

In the mean time I'll ask my mate tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime29/7/2009, 09:13

I have had a look around the maps and think the Zoo might be a Red Herring! Yes, the Zoo means something but what, I don't know?
Looking at the Stadt layout on Google,, I think Iburger Str is mainly housing. The area along Hannoversche Str in my opinion seems the more likely industrial area!

I might add as a matter of interest, that in the UK, my wife's pension starts for her at the age of 60. In Germany, I believe it is 65 given that there are no other reasons for it to begin earlier. So, if we do track track her German employers, any pensions due will only be added to UK pension when she becomes age 65.

I would also like to pass this the following tip on to any forum viewers in the UK or Germany or a far.

If you were receiving your 'Family Allowance' payments for the 2nd or more children onwards from 1978 and you chose to put it into a UK bank account instead of a having a PO payment book possibly because you were serving in BAOR , which was my case. Then the pensions people possibly have no record of your wife's entitlement to those years to be credited to her pension!

When my recently wife applied for her pension, we were appalled at the low amount. Only when we found a helpful pensions clerk did we realise what had gone amiss. When payments start in a few months time my wife will be entitled to about £100 per month more than originally estimated...
Back to top Go down
cleat9214
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime29/7/2009, 18:01

It could be in a place called Georgsmariehutte its on the same turn of as the zoo but going south im sure there was a large quater area as we visted some of my mums pals there in 1983 ish. but im in detmold at the min and could find out from some of the old GGS (Germany guard service) sweats and if need be pop up there, the wife loves traz.

if you can get hold on the admin lad who runs the site ( phil graham) hes got military maps of all the old garrisons from the 80s on disk even down to the naffi's so that a place to try.

any dramas give me a bell on stephencleator@hotmail.com

regards

steve cleator
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime29/7/2009, 18:17

Thanks for your note,

I am familiar Georgs area. The Industrial area was definately across the other side of town.
Regards
Alan
Back to top Go down
cleat9214
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime30/7/2009, 08:05

I called phil last night, hes been away at the min but hes back tomorrow so i will try and get them for you. and email them across to there from the 80s so they might give you a better view before everything was built up in the 90s.

regards

steve cleator
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime31/7/2009, 19:14

Ok Alan, I've asked and it's a real shot in the dark with out more info on likely areas of Osnabruck, apparently there were many car dealers who dealt with Squaddies so it could be anywere.

Surley you must be able to rack the old grey matter and remember the rough area?

I guess your wife didn't keep any payslips etc, or even some sort of momentor from her time there, daft question maybe but I keep allsorts of crap from my time in the Army.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime1/8/2009, 07:25

Sorry, my wife has no paper work from those days. My 22yrs military career saw to it that we cleared out whenever we moved. Of course it was only when we settled down in civi life in the UK that we saw the need to save payslips. Who ever thought as 20yr olds that it was important to hold on to stuff for tax purposes in the future. My wife was not an Osnabruck girl, so it is not so easy to recall locations!

Strange as it may be, I can still find places I was familiar with in Hildesheim 40 yrs on, but to pinpoint this Industrie Gebiet in Osnabruck has got me beat even when I look at Google Maps.

I suppose on our next trip to visit family members in Kiel we wil find the local tax offices and present my wife's Birth Cert to start the ball rolling to track her employment record.

Thanks
Alan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?   Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! Anyone stiil living in Osnabruck from 70's?
Page 1 of 1