BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitimeToday at 11:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 01:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 08:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 20:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 12:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 10:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 11:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 07:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 17:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 10:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 23:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 60 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 59 Guests :: 1 Bot

Pborn4

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 19:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The "Battle" of Gorleben

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

The "Battle" of Gorleben Empty
PostSubject: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime15/11/2009, 08:39

I remember reading about a little-known incident in October 1966 on the Elbe River near the village of Gorleben. Apparently there was a diplomatic dust-up between the two Germanies over the West German Waterways and Shipping Authority's right to survey the channel across the entire width of the Elbe, and the GDR barricading their progress with their Border Command boats, claiming the border ran down the middle of the river, not the eastern bank as claimed by Bonn.

Evidently everyone was involved: The British Embassy in Bonn, the Bundesgrenzschutz, British Frontier Service and 2 troops of Centurions and a troop of Ferrets from 7th Armoured Div under command of a Brigadier Worsley.

Is there anyone out there who was involved one way or the other who can cast light on the regiment that was called up and perhaps a few good stories about the incident? It ended without shots being fired, but according to some people it was one of the more dangerous incidents of the cold war.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime15/11/2009, 09:28

Brigadier Worsley commanded 7 armoured brigade in 1966.

1966 the battle of Gorleben, in which the Federal Republic of Germany and British armed forces demonstrated the western requirement for sovereignty on the full width of the Elbe. In consequence 1967 a second - internal - border fence were thus established along the Elbe and around Rüterberg.

This is what it was all about
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime15/11/2009, 20:51

another aspect to Gorleben, according to Wikipedia, is it is the site of a highly controversial nuclear waste storage site. A 'village' was built on the site of the storage tanks in the 1970's in protest and the site still attracts considerable protest.

Apparently, the storage is buried deep underground and, as I understand it, part of the controversy centres around the geological properties of the area, not terribly stable and sandy.

A pretty scary scenario, all in all....
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime16/11/2009, 08:06

I guess I should have explained that what I really am trying to solicit is actual stories of the experience from those who were actually on the scene. Also can anyone tell me the regiment from 7th Armoured Div that was involved.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime16/11/2009, 10:35

recce83 wrote:
I guess I should have explained that what I really am trying to solicit is actual stories of the experience from those who were actually on the scene. Also can anyone tell me the regiment from 7th Armoured Div that was involved.

IIRC it was 3RTR from Fallingbostel! I can remember people talking about getting crashed out just as England were about to kick off in matches after they won the World Cup in the July!

Last edited by soprano54 on 16/11/2009, 10:42; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime16/11/2009, 10:37

Think you might be struggling on this one.

There is nothing in the official brigade (the division was disbandod in 57) history,the national archives or hansard.

The only reference i could find was the one already posted which was found on a German website.I think the translation is fairly accurate

Good hunting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime16/11/2009, 10:38

Oops Two minutes late.
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime16/11/2009, 16:35

I think you will find that 7 Armd Div were not disbanded but retitled 5 Div for a short spell and then 1 Armd Div. I was serving in Verden at the time with 112 Coy RASC Wksp REME and in the space of approximately a year we wore 3 different divisional flashes.
Bob
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime16/11/2009, 21:32

recce83 wrote:

I can confirm that elements of Recce Tp 3RTR were there and from what other people of said tanks were on standby but never got to the scene!
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime17/11/2009, 01:14

soprano54 wrote:
recce83 wrote:

I can confirm that elements of Recce Tp 3RTR were there and from what other people of said tanks were on standby but never got to the scene!

That's right. According to David Spears in his book The Ugly Frontier, they kept the tanks out of sight in the trees while the Ferrets lined up on the bank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime17/11/2009, 15:02

Quote :
I think you will find that 7 Armd Div were not disbanded but retitled

OK ..So they had a name change....I was merely pointing out that it was the brigade that was involved in the action not the division
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime17/11/2009, 16:47

Gorleben is still a highly controversial subject here as it involves the storing of Nuclear waste.In fact everything to do with Nuclear power stations is "hot",and as you may know all Nuclear power stations are being run down here as they reach the end of their expected life.And NO new plants are to be built.If you study a map of where various countries dump thir nuclear waste(especially in the Atlantic)you may well be horrified and put off your fish and chips.
At one time it took 50,000 German police to get a trainload of nuclear waster for re-cycling to Flamenville in France!
------
Don
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime18/11/2009, 20:58

recce83 wrote:
soprano54 wrote:
recce83 wrote:

That's right. According to David Spears in his book The Ugly Frontier, they kept the tanks out of sight in the trees while the Ferrets lined up on the bank.

A bit more info from a guy called Trevor Dady 2RTR:-

I was the Recce Troop Staff Sergeant of 2RTR at the time of the Gorleben incident. Recce Troop 2RTR were due to go on a border patrol when we were alerted to go to the village of Gorleben on the river Elbe. There had been an incident beween the East and West Germans over the rights of navigation when river surveys were carried out. As I understood it, the West German survey vessels were allowed to anchor or moor on the East German side of the river for survey purposes although the border ran through the middle of the river. On this occasion the East German patrol vessels would not permit the West German Survey vessel "Hitzacker" to go near the eastern river bank. To prevent the West German vessel mooring on the east side, the East German patrol vessels formed a barrier in the middle of the river by lashing their vessels from the stern of one vessel to the bows of another vessel forming a barrier. I think they had about six to eight vessels forming this barrier. The West German Survey vessel "Hitzacker" tried to push through the barrier without success. I belive a shot was fired by an East German boat crewman at the survey vessel during this. The water borne Bundesgrenzshutz were brought in to try to reslove the situation and gain access to the east side of the river, without success.
At this point the situation deteriorated diplomatically, so Recce Troop 2RTR and a Centurion tank troop of 3RTR were ordered to Gorleben. We in 2RTR Recce Troop "bombed" up our Ferrets with .30 ammo for our Brownings, rations and water.
Recce Troop 2RTR under command of Recce Squadron Leader Major David Flood moved out of Caen Barracks, Hohne, to Gorleben where we bivvied up. 3RTR moved to Gorleben by transporter and took up a postion in the woods a few hundred yards back overlooking the river and Gorleben. The 3RTR Troop Sergeant was Sergeant Gater. Our little "Battle Group" was under command of Brigadier Worsley. Diplomatic methods to resolve the situation were getting nowhere. It was then decided to have a show of force to the East Germans. 2RTR Recce Troop moved out of the village and formed a line abreast fifty metres apart along the west river bank, wheels up and in full view of the East Germans. At this point the river is only about 150 metres across. The East Germans then reacted by bringing up machine guns and anti tank guns and aimed at us. We sweated a little at this point I must admit! They then tried to read the riot act to us in German over a series of vehicle borne loudspeakers.
Things got a little bit tense so Brigadier Worsley ordered us to put on our steel helmets!! More shouting and abuse followed from the east. After a few minutes of this, Brigadier Worsley ordered us to load our Brownings and to stand by for further orders. The Brigadier then ordered us to remove the fifth round from our ammunition belts. If things got worse he would nominate which Ferret callsign was to engage a target that he would indicate. By removing the fifth round from our ammunition belt would prevent a sustained volley of automatic shots at the other side which would enable the East Germans to reconsider their actions???!!!
I must again admit that had we opened fire I think we would have been in real trouble. This was where the 3RTR troop would have come foward to our aid from the wood to engage the East Germans with their main armament.
The West German Bundesgrenzshutz in the meantime had called for backup and increased their numbers and boats. They decided that they were going to get to the east bank by ramming through the East German vessels barrier. They advanced on to the East German vessels and rammed them hard until they broke through and got to the east bank of the river. There was a lot of shouting and a few fists were flying. Having achieved the aim of the "exercise" and having broken through to the east bank, the East Germans permitted the survey vessel "Hitzacker" to continue its duty of doing the river survey.
The whole incident was filmed from a Wessex helicopter on our side of the river. We stayed one more night in the village of Gorleben before returning to Hohne and 3RTR to Fallingbostel.
As already stated in earlier articles on the "Battle" we were a little worried as I don't think we in our "wheels up" Ferrets would have been much of a match against their anti tank guns.
The above account is as I remember the incident.
Trevor Dady
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Battle" of Gorleben   The "Battle" of Gorleben Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "Battle" of Gorleben
Page 1 of 1